News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of other snippets…

The new stand’s roof is, indeed, higher than all of the preceding stages and is a deliberate design feature to create a grand facade and entry to the ground when viewerd from the city and approached from Moorabool Street. It should be quite stunning!

The first two levels inside the stand are essentially completed. There has been a lot going on within the stand that hasn’t been obvious during the delayed external work.

A few more photos…

Moorabool Street vehicle access.

IMG_7953.jpeg

The indoor cricket facility.
IMG_7955.jpeg
IMG_7956.jpeg

There will definitely be views of the cricket oval for a privileged few.
IMG_7961.jpeg

That is a mighty powerful red crane, in place for tomorrow’s heavy lifting!
IMG_7964.jpeg

Last edited:

The new stand’s roof is, indeed, higher than all of the preceding stages and is a deliberate design feature to create a grand facade and entry to the ground when viewerd from the city and approached from Moorabool Street. It should be quite stunning!

The first two levels inside the stand are essentially completed. There has been a lot going on within the stand that hasn’t been obvious during the delayed external work.

A few more photos…

View attachment 1756289

View attachment 1756290
View attachment 1756291

View attachment 1756292

That is a might powerful red crane in place for tomorrow’s heavy lifting!
View attachment 1756293
Interesting seeing the brickwork in the 1st photo… will that be going the whole way around the new stand? Guessing they are going for the heritage look around the bottom?!

A few more photos…

View attachment 1756289

View attachment 1756290
View attachment 1756291

View attachment 1756292

That is a might powerful red crane in place for tomorrow’s heavy lifting!
View attachment 1756293

I presume the walk way has been closed to create extra room for the roof?

Last edited:

Interesting seeing the brickwork in the 1st photo… will that be going the whole way around the new stand? Guessing they are going for the heritage look around the bottom?!
I remember seeing some of the original plans that explained the materials to be used and the brick choice was to reference the wool stores and industrial buildings in the city and along the river. The bricks aren’t quite like the red-brick wool stores but they are definitely in keeping with heritage design.
I think they are being used on a significant part of the lowest level. They should look good.

I remember seeing some of the original plans that explained the materials to be used and the brick choice was to reference the wool stores and industrial buildings in the city and along the river. The bricks aren’t quite like the red-brick wool stores but they are definitely in keeping with heritage design.
I think they are being used on a significant part of the lowest level. They should look good.

Sounds familiar to me too actually.. seems like this end of the ground and the players stand will be polar opposites in terms of quality and features.
I wonder how much going over budget affect the overall appearance of the players stand.

I assume does that mean the opposition cheer squad will move in behind the goals at the players stand or will they keep them in that corner…
From memory when the ground was in one piece teams like GC and GWS had the corner and other bigger clubs had behind the goals.
North, bulldogs etc

Cricket, golf, horse racing, come to mind.

Compared to Australian Rules Football across the country at all levels, the AFL grounds are quite similar. I think a bit of variety makes it interesting.
Although the age of modern stadiums have homogenized the dimensions of the playing areas, baseball has a history of odd stadiums; short outfields, walls, ivy, projections etc. I was a while ago but old Yankee Stadium had stone steles with Yankee HoF plaques on them in the center field, in the field of play. Lower tier fields, like Aussie Rules, get even more bizarre.

Put me down as hating no-character, antiseptic, cookie cutter stadia. I mean the actual playing area and out of bounds area. They have to be taken into account when you go to play there. I'd love to see more variety of football, basketball, or soccer playing areas. Little differences would be fun and spark the same sorts of conversations as KP does.

The looks of the stands should also be interesting. I'd love for there to be some nod to the old stands incorporated into the design(ala SCG).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Members in the players stand will be strongly encouraged to move their seats to the new stand. The cheer squad is also moving.

Players stand will be mainly oppo and GA

can see that working out. NOT.

I lost the best seats in the house in the old stand. Lock it in for tears when people are not happy with their new seast while others are very happy.

That’s why they’re moving all the members into the new stand. Give us the best experience
Im sorry but it’s a total stuff up, everybody knows that in mid winter the south west corner is the best spot to be in ( weather comes from south / west , the north west corner is into the wind and rain/sun and who cares if the facilities are newer 🤷‍♂️ I know where I would rather be…

I think those in players stand primarily from what I’ve read but could be more from Hickey
No one (to my knowledge) in the Upper bays of the Players Stand were pegged for movement, just reports of many in the Lower bays exposed to the elements.

I'd be wary that with each new stand the seat price for members was more. i.e. I find the Players stand more economical than those that came after it, and to be honest while it's the cheapest stand as far as amenities and exposure to blowing winds go, I also don't feel the other stands to date are all that much better.

I think those in players stand primarily from what I’ve read but could be more from Hickey
ill stay right where I am thanks.
Im under cover...front row top deck on the aisle just about. Easy in and out. No rain and not staring into the sun.

Limpet meet rock lol

GO Catters

Members in the players stand will be strongly encouraged to move their seats to the new stand. The cheer squad is also moving.

Players stand will be mainly oppo and GA
BOO that shit.

GO Catters

No one (to my knowledge) in the Upper bays of the Players Stand were pegged for movement, just reports of many in the Lower bays exposed to the elements.

I'd be wary that with each new stand the seat price for members was more. i.e. I find the Players stand more economical than those that came after it, and to be honest while it's the cheapest stand as far as amenities and exposure to blowing winds go, I also don't feel the other stands to date are all that much better.

The seat movement was for everyone in Section A - both below and above the concourse walkway. I'm first row above the concourse, perfect seat and received the notification to move

I think it's only those in Section C, which is the top level that were going to stay

I'm curious to see what's going to happen this off-season

I thought you were front row in front of the tele in the dead of night :cool:
both... let just say I have a LOT of tix resales for my seats... like nearly every game lol

GO Catters

The seat movement was for everyone in Section A - both below and above the concourse walkway. I'm first row above the concourse, perfect seat and received the notification to move

I think it's only those in Section C, which is the top level that were going to stay

I'm curious to see what's going to happen this off-season
being up in C .. i was not advised last time. However if the players stand is to become the deafcto opposition stand ..I may have to consider my options.

Remove this Banner Ad

News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back