• Keays

Votes: 78 76.5%
  • O'Brien

Votes: 51 50.0%
  • Parnell (Sub)

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Milera has to string a couple of months worth of this type of performance at least before redeming the seasons worth of half arsed crap hes served up over his career?

Love the " told you so"s after 2 or 3 decent games though. Makes me want to jump on the bandwagon.
I think there's still legitimate questions over his consistency etc., but what he has definitely done is demonstrate that he's good enough to be an AFL player and has some exceptional attributes. Has played like a first round pick the last few weeks.

How many games is that
That was just yesterdays game breakdown

Ahh I assume its % of attendances

Keays running with Neale probably was why his CBA numbers were so high

Doubt it becomes the norm
It's actually not a bad idea to give guys like Keays and Sloane a few heavy rotations in the guts during the dreary slog of the winter months.

Keep Dawson, Soligo and Rachele fresher to run out the year. Have to remember before this year none had played substantial midfield minutes.

Can add Pedlar to that list as well.

Yep... for someone without a membership the cost is insanity. Last time I went my partner and I paid $86 each, to sit on the third tier (Sec 544 or something).... That was the Collingwood game.

He's trying to encourage me to get a membership where you get discounted games during the year.

This is why crowd numbers are down in my opinion.

You can see clearly there's still a desire for your average Joe to attend (the hill is always packed as tickets are $40), but I would personally baulk at $90 just to get in the door to see a regular H&A game, and I can imagine many others feel the same way.

It's actually not a bad idea to give guys like Keays and Sloane a few heavy rotations in the guts during the dreary slog of the winter months.

Keep Dawson, Soligo and Rachele fresher to run out the year. Have to remember before this year none had played substantial midfield minutes.

I mean its not John Who level of spin but this is pure speculation

Saying words to fit a situation

The opposite is young legs run forever and dont need protecting

Yep... for someone without a membership the cost is insanity. Last time I went my partner and I paid $86 each, to sit on the third tier (Sec 544 or something).... That was the Collingwood game.

He's trying to encourage me to get a membership where you get discounted games during the year.
Genuinely shocked to see those prices
Edit - 48-58 bucks for this weekend at Marvel

CBAs

Laird 67
Dawson 78
Keays 70
Sloane 44

Pedlar 26

Rachele 7
Soligo 7

Yep sure are giving the kids a good run in the middle

Eh, every position that isn't a key position role inadvertently develops someone to play inside midfield. Its not something you need to learn on the job with. It's more of an end-point.

All that says is we're not confident that our kids are ready for it.

Keays in the middle in heavy conditions and with the added motivation of playing against his old side made sense.

Sloane's last quarter shouldn't gloss over the fact he was a complete liability for the first three.

Brisbane had more scoring shots but we made the most of it.
Defense pressure. If you look at the players we rated above our defense was rated highly Better than our forwards given that TT. Tex and Fog didnt rate as highly. So give our defense a lot of credit for Brisbane's poor goal kicking.

Not really, it's just facts. None of those players have played 20+ games of AFL midfield in a season, not even close. Where-as Sloane, Laird and Keays all have.

You would think Dawson could hold up to it, but we really don't know that yet. To be honest his kicking is already showing a few early signs of tired legs lately. Had 10 turnovers at 63% DE yesterday.

It's certainly not spin to look out for your young stars by restricting their CBAs. If anything that's just basic midfield strategy.

Who is McHendry?
You have to reward the body of work that McHendry have put together, he's not put a foot wrong as the sub and he's played well when given the opportunity.

Murphy hasn't been amazing culminating in probably his worse game of the season.

I just think you have to reward him for selection integrity reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, it's just facts. None of those players have played 20+ games of AFL midfield in a season, not even close. Where-as Sloane, Laird and Keays all have.

You would think Dawson could hold up to it, but we really don't know that yet. To be honest his kicking is already showing a few early signs of tired legs lately. Had 10 turnovers at 63% DE yesterday.

It's certainly not spin to look out for your young stars by restricting their CBAs. If anything that's just basic midfield strategy.
Over the last month Rachele has looked tired a lot, Soligo struggled really badly last week too.

The heavy conditions against a hard midfield Nicks decision to bring a fresh Keays through there and throw a few more CBA Pedlars way was good coaching.

Its a long season you are absolutely correct about managing our younger guys loads through there.

That said Sloane also looks to have come off his early season highs so shouldn't be spending much time there til last quarters.

All that says is we're not confident that our kids are ready for it.
And this is what everyone has been saying about NicksPyke - 1970crow has pointed out time and time and time and time again how Nicks reverts to the safe.

Yes games need to be won but surely we trust our kids more than a token appearance?

You haven't noticed Rachele's drop off in defensive pressure over the last month? Soligo could barely chase last week down in Ballarat.

Managing the kids loads is important, any high performance manager would tell you that.

Genuinely shocked to see those prices
Edit - 48-58 bucks for this weekend at Marvel
Yep it's insanity. And then when you think you add on the cost of food/drink if you don't bring your own. Unaffordable for many.

Over the last month Rachele has looked tired a lot, Soligo struggled really badly last week too.

The heavy conditions against a hard midfield Nicks decision to bring a fresh Keays through there and throw a few more CBA Pedlars way was good coaching.

Its a long season you are absolutely correct about managing our younger guys loads through there.

That said Sloane also looks to have come off his early season highs so shouldn't be spending much time there til last quarters.
Probably fair on Sloane, he does seem to do better when the speed of the game comes back to him.

But that in itself is a strategy that we can play too to keep the team fresh, and keep getting explosive plays from those youngsters as the season drags on.

TBH i'd not be against switching Rachele and Rankine's roles around until the end of the bye round. Play Rachele closer to home and Rankine further up the ground and in for some CBA's. Feel like Rankine's running really well right now and a couple of lower midfield games for Rachele leading into the bye could be really beneficial.

You haven't noticed Rachele's drop off in defensive pressure over the last month? Soligo could barely chase last week down in Ballarat.

Managing the kids loads is important, any high performance manager would tell you that.
Yes I did notice he dropped off - I even mentioned it . Again this could be due to the fact his CBAs dropped off . But he had 74% TOG (Footywire) so its not like he was sitting on the pine getting his breath back - Rachele has been at 70/80%+ TOG in games ( I call 69% close enough )

The high performance manager thinks he can handle it

Soligo struggled against Dogs but his previous 4 games were 20+ disposals - hardly struggling. He was running at 88% TOG against Dogs so yes thats on him - but again they believed he was fit enough to do so

Kids have inconsistent games.

Footy crowds havent been the same since Covid..

Covid forced everyone to get a Kayo subscription and watch from home.. as there were no crowds allowed.

Alot of these supporters havent returned to the “live at the ground” experience.. they realised that they can watch live (with no telecast delays) in the comfort of their own homes with their own supply of beer, food etc.. and not get robbed blind.. and not have to fight traffic on roads and crowds on public transport.
Happy to be shown some stats, but I think crowds were trending down since 2017. I reckon they might have even peaked prior to 2017 (possibly inflated by finals)?

Feel like the shine hung on for quite a while but eventually wore off.

Yes I did notice he dropped off - I even mentioned it . Again this could be due to the fact his CBAs dropped off . But he had 74% TOG (Footywire) so its not like he was sitting on the pine getting his breath back - Rachele has been at 70/80%+ TOG in games ( I call 69% close enough )

The high performance manager thinks he can handle it

Soligo struggled against Dogs but his previous 4 games were 20+ disposals - hardly struggling. He was running at 88% TOG against Dogs so yes thats on him - but again they believed he was fit enough to do so

Kids have inconsistent games.
Yep of course they do but that's also possibly a warning that they just may need a slightly less physically intensive role for a little. We've seen that with Rachele especially. The heavy conditions yesterday are suited to guys who can tackle their way through matches. On the flipside we may have a faster deck at Darwin this week so that might very well be a match we get back some extra rotations to guys like Soligo & Rachele whom it may suit better.

We aren't far from the bye now, will be plenty of banged up players that won't mind a week off.

Happy to be shown some stats, but I think crowds were trending down since 2017. I reckon they might have even peaked prior to 2017 (possibly inflated by finals)?

Feel like the shine hung on for quite a while but eventually wore off.
I must admit my attendance habits have changed over the last 5 years

Is that due to our performance? Possibly

Or is it due to me prioritising my health and life and picking games? Likely

I didnt go yesterday because of the weather - I didnt need to be out in the cold with a big operation coming up. But I may have decided Sunday twilight is shit and not go anyway

I still get my membership but its not a game entry as much as support for the club these days

Crowd got into it on the back of a patch of diabolical umpiring, making subsequent goals extra satisfying and were celebrated accordingly.

Good atmosphere for a small crowd.

The cheer when the 3 qtr time siren went, after the Michalanney/Cameron contest in the D50, was louder than the cheer when the final siren went. It was actually a really funny moment. We'd just conceded 9 points in a row and couldn't get it past centre, the umpires went full blown bizarre, and unlike usual WE kicked 2 goals in red time. One of them a GOTY contender. Crowd was razzed up and the desperation of Max and Doods to not concede in those final few seconds was great.

I really think if we'd conceded then, the balloon would have burst and Brisbane would have run over us.

Has the Wabbit from up North snuck out from his burrow yet?

Interested in his take on Milera's game yesterday?

He shouldn't feel too bad plenty of us were having doubts as well including me.

I wonder did the Wabbit rate the team's performance yesterday?

Sneaking Elmer Fudd GIF by Looney Tunes

Oh the ironing.

Yep of course they do but that's also possibly a warning that they just may need a slightly less physically intensive role for a little. We've seen that with Rachele especially. The heavy conditions yesterday are suited to guys who can tackle their way through matches. On the flipside we may have a faster deck at Darwin this week so that might very well be a match we get back some extra rotations to guys like Soligo & Rachele whom it may suit better.

We aren't far from the bye now, will be plenty of banged up players that won't mind a week off.
Yep, I think the middle of the AFL season is the without question the hardest time of the year physically. Wet heavy decks, cold conditions, high tackle counts, higher stoppage rates. These are all components of AFL footy that are extremely taxing on the body.

I think in years gone by we've had an unbelievably light midfield rotation, and even lighter rotation of AFL hardened players. Which caused us to roll with the Laird, Crouch, Sloane and Keays so much. Now we have a much deeper rotation of players we can actually look to use that rotation to our advantage for 24 rounds of footy. Not just hoping we get through the next round without too much of a midfield belting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Good, Bad and Not Much Ugly

Back