Good, Bad and Ugly- Finals Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: Reilly, Doughty, Rutten - kept us in it, Douglas's first and last quarters, Vince's first quarter, experience for all the kids

Bad: our midfield, who couldn't find the space to deliver to our forwards, who couldn't convert

Ugly: Talia's injury, the result,

Very Ugly: the dickhead Swans supporter who picked a fight in the Northern Grandstand, took a swing, then ran away with his wife and dobbed to security.

Even Uglier Than That: returning to Marion on the FootyExpress to find my scooter stolen, which was then recovered by the police vandalised across the street.

In: Otten, Lyons
Out: Talia, Petrenko

Wait, after we didn't play Lyons all year although he was killing it in the SANFL, we probably can't bring him in during a final. Or can we?

There will only be a forced change by injury ....at this stage just 1

Out: Talia
In: who knows ? .... i think it'll be Henderson as he provides a lot of speed, flexibility and height

Will they be tempted to bring Jenkins in based on yesterdays form ......tempted yes but IMO they'll stay with the tall/small mix of yesterday

Porplyzia as sub

I expect our 21 to look a lot different in round 1 next year.

We've had a great year, but we've been carried by a core group, with cameos (some spectacularly) from other mid/bottom range players.

Our entire team structure and balance is wrong at present, it's probably too late to change it now, but next year, they should.

We've got Lyon, Kerridge, Henderson,, Brown Crouch, Otten and (probably) Martin/Grigg in the 2s, who all should arguably be in the side.

Next year, Doughty goes, and I wouldn't expect Johncock and Porps to be automatic selections. I expect Petrenko OR Callinan to struggle to find a spot. Then, depending in the progression of the guys above, Vince/Douglas/VB (assuming he isn't the Captain anymore) could all come under pressure by guys like Crouch. Not saying their spots are definitely in danger, but if they don't continue to improve, and those kids keep dominating everything they do, then we need them in the side.

We also have too many short people in our side. We need a couple of genuinely tall midfielders as well.

But yea, our balance/structure is wrong, and it's too late to try and correct it now.

I think the Crows have done a pretty good job of playing younger players this year. That said, we need to be creating more competition for our under performing seniors. Players like Vince, Douglas, Petrenko and Porplyzia are all under performing but they seem to be automatic selections. We need to be turning up the heat on those spots. I think we have a good spine to build from but we really need more output from supporting players.

I expect our 21 to look a lot different in round 1 next year.

We've had a great year, but we've been carried by a core group, with cameos (some spectacularly) from other mid/bottom range players.

Our entire team structure and balance is wrong at present, it's probably too late to change it now, but next year, they should.

We've got Lyon, Kerridge, Henderson,, Brown Crouch, Otten and (probably) Martin/Grigg in the 2s, who all should arguably be in the side.

Next year, Doughty goes, and I wouldn't expect Johncock and Porps to be automatic selections. I expect Petrenko OR Callinan to struggle to find a spot. Then, depending in the progression of the guys above, Vince/Douglas/VB (assuming he isn't the Captain anymore) could all come under pressure by guys like Crouch. Not saying their spots are definitely in danger, but if they don't continue to improve, and those kids keep dominating everything they do, then we need them in the side.

We also have too many short people in our side. We need a couple of genuinely tall midfielders as well.

But yea, our balance/structure is wrong, and it's too late to try and correct it now.

Since I respect your opinion Elvis I'd be interested to hear your ideas about structure/balance and what you would do.

FWIW I suspect our team will look radically different in round 1 next year, now that Sando's one year audition is over, and that there will be another list clean-out, with players who aren't up to scratch for what we need traded on or delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Crows have done a pretty good job of playing younger players this year. That said, we need to be creating more competition for our under performing seniors. Players like Vince, Douglas, Petrenko and Porplyzia are all under performing but they seem to be automatic selections. We need to be turning up the heat on those spots. I think we have a good spine to build from but we really need more output from supporting players.

Lyons at Glenelg should have played the second half of the year. Needs to be in the starting 18 round 1 next year, along with Crouch.

That was just an amazing game of footy. I loved everything about it. There was nothing about us that was hidden. we know where we stand, what we have to do, where we need to grow. Some boys are becoming men. 9 first timers.

The ugly thing about that game was when i saw the news report and the elbow to the jaw P. Dangerfield recieved. I was going to say how much I enjoyed a brutal but fair game of football. I enjoyed that 3rd quarter thoroughly.

Quite obviously Sydney studied how Richmond jumped us and then they controlled the game. A little bit more patience could of made the result closer, once we started to get fluency in our play.

One of the many good things is Goodes probably won't ever be able to cut us up again as the bastard is getting old. This aint nice but..........We are probably lucky Tippett got those concussions because he aint worth what he nearly signed for..

I was quite confident we would of won that game but I was ignorant of how pig headedlly stubbun the Sydney group is.

Good-
  • Reilly, Dogga, Truck were our best players. Proud of the way they stood up in a final
  • Thommo was solid, albeit he burned the ball a little too much for my liking. (Although he has been in the top 5 in the AFL for clangers the past 3 years so it doesn't surprise me much)
  • Mackay...good to see him with some solid form
  • Crowd / Atmosphere....not bad!!
  • Didn't mind Douglas
  • Can't play much worse than we did, none of our guns stood up, perhaps the weak run into the finals didn't prepare us adequately, season still ain't over....

Bad-
  • Goal kicking. So frustrating to see Sydney split the middle compared to our set shots...hopefully just finals nips
  • Danger, Wright, Vince, VB, Jacobs....stunk of mediocrity
  • Port supporters coming out of hiding for the first time this year. "LOL Crows"....etc etc
  • Our remaining finals draw
  • Vics thinking they are right about our "soft draw"

Ugly-
  • VB, for our captain to get 13 possessions in a final is just not good enough, for the supposed fittest player on the team, i just dont understand how his running ability doesn't have more influence to pick up a few more cheap stats. Not good enough for AFC captain!
  • Small forwards.....Pets, Callinan and Porps were just horrendous, although the forward entries were pathetic the fact that our "defensive forward" Petrenko had 2 tackles just defeats the purpose of his position. Porps I think is finished, he gets too many games for "free," I really haven't seen anything close to his 09 form, but how i would like to be proven wrong
  • Talia and his broken arm, devastating, but you cant deny we have had a fantastic run with injuries thus far....
  • Tippett. Sigh...pretty much sums up his game.
  • Anyone stating we need to get rid of Bickley as our forward coach....have people suddenly forgotten how potent our foward line was for the previous 22 games? Jenkins will not solve our problems, having three talls in our forward line destroyed us versus Brisbane, the forward pressure was non-existent with a cumbersome forward line that doesn't suit modern day footy. I like Jenkins, i rate Jenkins, the fact is he is not better than Tippo and our forward line structure doesn't function with 3 talls.
Well done Sydney, played finals pressure. Deserve your home final.

Not sure if this has been corrected yet but this stat is wrong. According to the official AFL stats the ratio is actually:

Crows 6/59
Swans 7/37

The 5AA flogs got confused about this as that stat they were talking about was the 21 marks Sydney took inside OUR 50, i.e defensive marks. Which is pretty damming all the same.

Yeah I think I heard it off 5AA. Happy to stand corrected.

I was quite confident we would of won that game but I was ignorant of how pig headedlly stubbun the Sydney group is.

This is how i felt, but then hindsight shows that they have 100 more finals game to their players names. How could i miss that? But e should've played better. If we dish up another poor goal kicking game, i'll be pissed. Freo should have about the same amount of experience in finals as us.

But they have an away win (domination) against the reigning premiers in a final. Thats something we have to worry about. The confidence that the players must have in what Ross says is not to be underestimated.

I have a feeling Fremantle played their Grand Final Saturday night and will find it really hard to replicate that form and tenacity.

I'm not getting ahead of myself but if we can contain Matthew Pavlich, we should win. But I feel he will be the difference between winning and losing.

I'm putting myself through the torture of watching the replay. I could swear our mids don't look when kicking the ball forward. Having said that, did the Big Chief take offense to the use of the choir to mock the swans? If Walkers graze of the post in the first qtr wasn't enough, Kennedy kicking the ball into Boltons head and rebounding to Goodes who quickly kicked forward to Morton was surely a sign that we were screwed.

I'm putting myself through the torture of watching the replay. I could swear our mids don't look when kicking the ball forward. Having said that, did the Big Chief take offense to the use of the choir to mock the swans? If Walkers graze of the post in the first qtr wasn't enough, Kennedy kicking the ball into Boltons head and rebounding to Goodes who quickly kicked forward to Morton was surely a sign that we were screwed.

The bounce of the ball on Saturday certainly did not help our cause (to which we very much contributed) i commented a few times of this very occurence

The only bounce that went our way for the whole day was the one that resulted in a Sloane goal

4 minutes to go until half time, Johncock blazes from 45 on an angle, whilst Tex and Pets were standing by themselves 20 meters out dead in front. We bloody butchered this game, spewing.

4 minutes to go until half time, Johncock blazes from 45 on an angle, whilst Tex and Pets were standing by themselves 20 meters out dead in front. We bloody butchered this game, spewing.

EC my view is that, whilst ugly, we played well in so far as we did create opportunity. We then butchered those chances. Is that recollection playing out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good, Bad and Ugly- Finals Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back