Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs NM (Preseason Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

judging from the first nab challenge game our side could look like this in round 1:

Brown/Laid - Talia - Cheney/JPod
Jeansch - Hartigan - Henderson
Sloane - Dangerfield - Smith
Lynch - Walker - Douglas
Betts - Jenkins - Cameron
Jacobs - Crouch - Thompson
Lyons - VB - Kerridge - Crouch

Unlucky - Cameron - Grigg - Wright - Martin

The Betts howler sums him up. CEY actually kicks pretty well going long. He's gathered the ball and is metres in the clear on or just inside the 50m line. Just kick the goal son!!

Instead there is no awareness, no confidence in decision making so as to apply it to his strength. What he then does is play to his weakness and look for a silly short option which he makes a mess of.

That was CEY right there.

Man you really have a hatred going on for CEY don't you?
My eyes were telling me he looked to have improved a lot since his last game for us. Sure he missed Betts, BFD, there were plenty of howlers during the game. I like the way he competes and gets the ball which is the main part of playing the game. (get ball, kick or handball the ball) see footy is basic.
Lyon gets huge praise and personally I see a competent lad but nothing to make me believe he is a superstar in the making. Ditto for Grigg.

This is a loser mentality. We couldn't stop them and almost gave up a 50 point lead. When trying to start a fresh, putting in similar efforts as last year are unacceptable.
But last year, we put in those similar efforts with top tier players. It's a reasonable expectation from second and third tier players. Do you even understand what Walsh was trying to do?

We played kids. Talia, Walker, Sloane were hardly sighted. Hendo subbed off. Jenkins played ruck not forward. In all honesty it was a great effort to get in a winning position.
I actually thought with that list we were going to get thumped. My flabber was ghasted at 3/4 time with a 50 point lead. :D

My eyes were telling me he looked to have improved a lot since his last game for us. Sure he missed Betts, BFD, there were plenty of howlers during the game. I like the way he competes and gets the ball which is the main part of playing the game. (get ball, kick or handball the ball) see footy is basic.
Lyon gets huge praise and personally I see a competent lad but nothing to make me believe he is a superstar in the making. Ditto for Grigg.
Think Grigg is a touch overrated on BF, a class player no doubt but that may be why I judge him harshly. He's also incredibly slow so needs to be very good at his strengths as an outside mid. Hope he gets there because he has some weapons. We now have Lyons and M Crouch hot on the heels of Thommo but we should find a spot for Lyons in any case now, he's too good not to

Good:
No long term Injuries
Won a game of football

Bad:
Poor last quarter

Ugly:
Lynch ducking his head. Needs to learn to protect himself. Been in the system for 6 years and only managed one year where he played more than 8 games.

IMO Lynch did not duck his head. I watched the incident closely and in the initial contact he was hit around the shoulder region and this sent him towards the ground. Then as he fell the second North player collided with his upper torso. Really to me it was just another footy collision.

I think hatred is a bit strong - I've nothing against him personally and Ive never questioned his character. In terms of his play I have given credit where it's due ie his clearance work.

I also like the way he competes and gets the ball. Unfortunately for CEY the game at this level demands more of a mid. This is where he falls down, in fact he's not even that great at SANFL level in his decision making and disposal.

It would be fantastic for our side if a guy with his physique could make it - I just don't see it.

As for Lyons - if you can't see the difference in his skills and CEY's then I don't know what to tell you.

Yep that was Pete mcdonald from ch 9 question...was about match SIM for coaches . From what I can gather from afar Pete mac and tom rehn are
So much this! That question was one that I was particularly waiting for as this game wasn't only about the way things went out on the field it was also crucial that the new coaching panel had a run so to speak and can go away from it with some great perspective as to how they gel together.

I think hatred is a bit strong - I've nothing against him personally and Ive never questioned his character. In terms of his play I have given credit where it's due ie his clearance work.

I also like the way he competes and gets the ball. Unfortunately for CEY the game at this level demands more of a mid. This is where he falls down, in fact he's not even that great at SANFL level in his decision making and disposal.

It would be fantastic for our side if a guy with his physique could make it - I just don't see it.

As for Lyons - if you can't see the difference in his skills and CEY's then I don't know what to tell you.

I wasn't talking about comparing their skills , you are. My point is simply this, CEY is improving which is encouraging and Lyon to me is okay and will be another Radar Reilly, long term player but no Danger/Sloane/Thompson. Hope this makes it clear for you. Grigg I doubt if he makes it because of his slows and this is Lyon's main drawback. One of Lyon/Grigg will be retained and the other will depart IMO.

I wasn't talking about comparing their skills , you are. My point is simply this, CEY is improving which is encouraging and Lyon to me is okay and will be another Radar Reilly, long term player but no Danger/Sloane/Thompson. Hope this makes it clear for you. Grigg I doubt if he makes it because of his slows and this is Lyon's main drawback. One of Lyon/Grigg will be retained and the other will depart IMO.
CEY is improving, but he's been on the books for how long now? Is he ever going to be at the level we require him? I still have my concerns.

judging from the first nab challenge game our side could look like this in round 1:

Brown/Laid - Talia - Cheney/JPod
Jeansch - Hartigan - Henderson
Sloane - Dangerfield - Smith
Lynch - Walker - Douglas
Betts - Jenkins - Cameron
Jacobs - Crouch - Thompson
Lyons - VB - Kerridge - Crouch

Unlucky - Cameron - Grigg - Wright - Martin

Cameron would have to be very unlucky to be both named in the side, and missing out on a place in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CEY is improving, but he's been on the books for how long now? Is he ever going to be at the level we require him? I still have my concerns.
"He will be good if he improves his kick" doesn't fill me with much confidence. It's the fundamental skill of the game and he's had his entire junior career plus 3/4 years in the AFL to bring it up to some kind of decent standard. I don't think it's realistic to expect that it will magically get better one day.

Is that you Sando?

We need to develop a winning culture. The puck doesn't stop with the AFC staff and players but we, as supporters, need to expect and demand a win. No matter how insignificant the game is.

"We were 50 points up at 3 quarter time!" Isn't going to cut it for me and nor should it.

So did you miss the part where Adelaide actually won the game?

The last quarter wasn't great, no one is denying that -

But it was literally the first practice match of the season... which Adelaide won...

Good point - could well be the case.

I thought Kerro, Pods and Sloane were odd choices on the AFC site, and Talia/Obrien seemed odd on news.com

3 clear best IMO were Crouch, Lyons and VB. I guess you could raffle it after that.
VB? His performance was encouraging after such a long layoff but surely not clearly in the best 3. He had a good third quarter but was pretty ordinary other times. Only ended up with 13 possessions. Not knocking him but Betts was surely better, or were you just talking midfield?

Edit: Oh, you added Betts. How about Sloane?

VB? His performance was encouraging after such a long layoff but surely not clearly in the best 3. He had a good third quarter but was pretty ordinary other times. Only ended up with 13 possessions. Not knocking him but Betts was surely better, or were you just talking midfield?
No I def made an error - top 3 Betts, BC, Lyons then VB.

"He will be good if he improves his kick" doesn't fill me with much confidence. It's the fundamental skill of the game and he's had his entire junior career plus 3/4 years in the AFL to bring it up to some kind of decent standard. I don't think it's realistic to expect that it will magically get better one day.
I believe there's such a thing as trying too hard which can over complicate a players game style. These self imposed pressures can be detrimental to their ability to impose themselves on a game and make the right decisions. CEY maybe needs to find a right balance in mental preparation to a game. This is just an idea of mine. It may not be the case at all.

I thought it was a pretty good combination of audition and rust-removal session.

Good:
We looked less rusty than the other teams I've seen in nab cup so far
Lyons getting a decent amount of play to show his flair
Crouch -- probably looked the most rusty of our experienced players, and yet still managed to clean up
VB -- started slow, but improved during the match
Eddie Betts: <3

Bad:
Lynch going down -- love watching him, ever since seeing him kick 11 at Spotless/Skoda

Ugly:
Stream quality, as always. No blame attached to the good folks in Port Lincoln, I reckon it was better than my usual iPad viewing options.

Other thoughts:
Wright was quiet but mostly effective; Tex acting like a general was good to see - hope he doesn't split his focus too much as captain; Brown was solid and capable as ever, despite having some rust; Kerridge, like brown, was doing well despite some rust; Ramsey looks like a Tex mini-me!

But last year, we put in those similar efforts with top tier players. It's a reasonable expectation from second and third tier players. Do you even understand what Walsh was trying to do?
Do you? Because I'm sure I read that Walsh wasn't happy with the last.

It's good to see he sets higher expectations than our luv supporter base.

The rule has always been that if you hit an umpire it is as if they are 'invisible'. It's happened in the field of play before where a kick has hit an umpire and another player has then 'marked' the ball and it's been paid as a mark (quite rightly). Just because it happens to us once, it shows that Eddie and others should know the rules better as that is one that has stayed the same for a very, very long time.

12.1.3 Clarification and Examples For the avoidance of doubt:

(a) if the football touches an Umpire or any Official and then passes over the Goal or Behind Line, a Goal or Behind, as the case may be, shall still be recorded;
(b) if the football touches an Umpire or any Official and does not pass over the Goal or Behind Line, the football shall remain in play;

12.1.3 Clarification and Examples For the avoidance of doubt:

(a) if the football touches an Umpire or any Official and then passes over the Goal or Behind Line, a Goal or Behind, as the case may be, shall still be recorded;
(b) if the football touches an Umpire or any Official and does not pass over the Goal or Behind Line, the football shall remain in play;
Goal umpires should be suspended by a pulley system like which operates the field camera at the MCG. Fixed :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs NM (Preseason Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back