Review Good/Bad/Ugly v GWS, R10 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

That's correct as Thommo had 22 possessions at 3/4 time and that didn't change, Thommo doesn't play a quarter without a touch, that's one of the commandments.
Time to give thommo a week off imo.

Nothing much to add, it was a really good win. Thought McGovern was woeful, worse than Hendo or van Berlo. Everything he touched turned to crap, except that goal.

Don't agree: McGovern did a lot of good things, not necessarily highly visible, to go with his mistakes. He was an integral part of several goal moves in the first quarter, for example.

Yes, but isn't that because kicking away to win by 22 in the last would have meant coming from 20 points down at 3qtr time and would be considered a pretty tremendous come back? (and would still have people thinking it papered over a few cracks)

I think you can't just look at the margin and say a 22 point win is the same as another 22 point win.

Sure we take the win - and I'll even ignore that the last goal to make it 22 was a junk one that we got after Scully's kick was ruled touched (as an aside, what is it with the lack of goal line cameras at Adelaide Oval) and the game was effectively done.

It wasn't that we didn't go on with it in the last quarter - you'd like to go on an win by 10+ goals, but you are happy with at least holding steady, but we just stopped. Brought back memories of the Showdown last year, when again we just couldn't kick a goal to put the game totally beyond reach. If Scully's goal is counted, they're 11 points down with 3 minutes to go and they were coming in waves.

We won, which is great. But after that amazing 3rd quarter, the 4th felt like a gut punch (especially when Douglas missed).

You can't rely on scraping over the line each game, especially against quality opposition. "just hung on to win" need not be a common term to describe this team. Was a fantastic win to be sure, but the last quarter fadeouts should be a priority topic for the review.

I agree with most comments, so wont repeat.

Thought Lyons work early when the heat was on was impressive. Should never had been dropped and its great to see his game improving with belief.

On the other hand, really disliked Seedsmans game tonight. Thought he wasted most of his possessions and had some really bad momentum turning turnovers. Not VB terrible, but considering the free ball he got, he should have hurt the opposition more.

Don't know who does the game reviews for the AFC website, but I think they are clearly taking the piss, Last week they had Douglas BOG, and this week he is in the bests again, ahead of Cameron, Lyons, and a host of other players who contributed much more.

Hartigan would have to be the most improved player this year, surely?

In 2015 every time the ball went near him I was filled with dread, last year was bit better, but now he just seems to be Mr Dependable. Talia, Lever, Hartigan, just inked in every week.

Lever's kicking still is a bit nervy to watch, but the way you just know he will stand under the ball and take the mark or take the hit is a joy to behold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great;
I thought jacobs was magnificent tonight. Broke even or beat mumford around the ground and in the ruck. Walker was huge and capitalised on the lack of kpd for gws. Shouldve had 7 but he missed some easy ones.. Talia holding cameron to 1 goal is monumental and was crucial. Cameron and betts. I love it. I ****in love the way these 2 blokes play. Cheney. I dont rate him. But he did his job tonight and keeping sj goaless was a win. Lyons was good in the square. Well done.
Bad;
Our goalkicking. Kept them in the match.
Vb. His classic non statistical role. seriously wtf is he still doing in the team. Gtfo.
Henderson. Did a few nice things like usual. But his lollipop kicks straight to gws players with little or no pressure are horrendous.
Douglas missing that goal in the last qtr.

Last edited:
I don't think Hendo was as bad as some people are suggesting, however with Laird back next week there's no need for him.

VB was awful though, and Crouch (M) will replace him. I can see the other Crouch replacing Milera as well, (don't believe I'm actually saying this, but) we seem to have a good amount of outside pace even without him; Atkins, Cameron, Smith, Seedsman can all play that role, even Eddie to a small extent, and Laird platforming off half back will tie that knot nicely.

Since all the chat about Talia not getting enough ball, he's had ~20 disposals the last three weeks. His attacking game has improved dramatically, as has Hartigan's and Brown's.

Great to get the win, pleased I went against my podcast prediction and backed us in.

We have three really tough away from home games to come this season (WC, Freo and Geelong), 2 of which we should lose, and WC and Port in Adelaide which will both be toss of the coin games. Aside from those we can (should) win the rest. So if we win 2 of those 5, that will put us at 15 wins and either top 4 or just out. *Cue backlash*. We need to look at what was done well tonight, and keep doing it, and toss out the rest.

Well done lads, always a better weekend with a win.

Good:
- Jeez our forward line is good. Just about every single week someone different dominates
- Eddieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
- Texas continuing to build
- Dougy and Lyons with 7 clearances each
- Thommo was solid in the first half, I felt
- Atkins with 28 touches. Thought he burnt the ball in the first half, but eventually settled. His ability to find space where this is none is sensational
- Smith has copped some flack lately, but I thought he was sensational tonight. 9 rebound 50s, 8 inside 50s, won some nice 50/50s and contested ball.
- Rory keeping Ward out of the game, though he didn't have a huge impact going the other way
- Much improved clearance work won us the game
- McGovern's defensive workrate is sensational. I hope his offensive game can catch up. He's too talented to just become Chris Mayne Mk 2.
- Talia, Hartigan, Brown, and Lever all put in strong defensive performances and provided rebound. Really solid games from all of them IMO.
- Cheney KILLED Stevie J. Just about his game for the club.
- Charlie continuing to build and add elements to his game. Love him in the midfield.
- Lyons was excellent, especially in the first half. Did burn the ball a couple of times, but he wasn't alone.

Bad:
- Douglas' miss.
- Lynchy worked as hard as ever but struggled to finish off
- Hendo kept finding space, but with the exception of that great pass to Sloane just couldn't hit targets inside 50
- I didn't think VB was as bad as some, but he should still be gone when Laird gets back
- A few silly frees cost us goals, especially in the first half
- Milera quiet again
- Jacobs was pretty absent around the ground, but he rucked well against a quality opponent.
- Our ball use at times was frustrating, but I don't understand why people get so furious over maintaining possession and switching the play across the ground. We repeatedly found space moving forward by switching, I don't get why so many are vehemently against it.

Ugly:
- Disappointing last quarter, but GWS are a strong team. Just glad we came away with the win.

aside from my repeatedly posted, and vindicated tip throughout the week of us winning by 4 goals, I do wonder if some of you even know what you're looking at in some games.

Lyons was good, atkins was good, who doesn't love seeing the big texan back to form?

but JJ, he has one of his best games for the season, i'm almost tempted to call it his best, and even the one eyed, kool-aid drinking fan boi's don't even notice or shout him out for it.

JJ played the sort of all round, complete game i've argued he's not capable of. he worked up the ground, he linked play, he contested strongly, brought others in the game and helped the forward line tick. He out lynched, ten gun tommy. and no one has even ****ing noticed? FFS

that's the sort of performance i'd be happy paying for, more George than Ringo. a fluke game when he kicks 8 goals straight, with a few joe goosey gimme's doesn't impress me that much. JJ's game tonight was the sort of contribution than wins matches.

i think he'll be in the coaches votes this week

You can't rely on scraping over the line each game, especially against quality opposition. "just hung on to win" need not be a common term to describe this team. Was a fantastic win to be sure, but the last quarter fadeouts should be a priority topic for the review.
Yeah I guess I got so annoyed over this game is that it is not exactly uncommon for the Crows to get run over. And equally it is not common for us to take a big 3qtr lead and smash a side when we have them by the throat - heck even last week we didn't really run over Gold Coast in any way that had you wanting to light a cigar afterwards.

Good (that hasn't been raved about yet):

Tex's field kicking. Hit so many blokes lace-out in the 50. Delicious.

JJ with two smothers. The first two of his life?

McGovern - pretty shite game overall but crunches blokes like nobody's business.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad/Ugly v GWS, R10 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back