10 Izak Rankine (ADEL)
8 Mitchell Hinge (ADEL)
3 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
3 Darcy Fogarty (ADEL)
2 Harry Himmelberg (GWS)
2 Ben Keays (ADEL)
1 Joshua Rachele (ADEL)
1 Tom Green (GWS)

Previously, I had posted "Rankine, Hinge, Fogarty, Dawson, Berry, Walker." and missed Rachele and Keays.
Keays was much busier than I picked; 21 disposals, with 8 tackles, decent game.
Rachele for his 2 goals, looks like.

There's only one way that breaks down, and it's interesting. After Rankine & Hinge, the coaches were completely divided. One gave Dawson 3, the other gave him 0. Etc.

Rachele shot on goal was as easy as Walker's, he stuffed it and had a poor night on goal.
:oops: Mate, just no.
Rachele should have handballed/kicked over the top to Walker, who would have been able to collect, easily run 10 metres, and kick from no more'n 15 metres out.
Rachele was 40m. out. How is that "as easy"? :think: :confusedv1:

I can answer that --- it's not. Rachele had a young player's rush of blood and wanted that goal.
In that case, the option is always to give off to the player in a better position (eg as Keays did with Fogarty later, unselfish team footy). Ask anybody.

Rachele should have handballed/kicked over the top to Walker, who would have been able to collect, easily run 10 metres, and kick from no more'n 15 metres out.

I can answer that --- it's not. Rachele had a young player's rush of blood and wanted that goal.
In that case, the option is always to give off to the player in a better position (eg as Keays did with Fogarty later, unselfish team footy). Ask anybody.
A 40m set shot with no angle at all isn't an easy shot?????

A 40m set shot with no angle at all isn't an easy shot?????
For a good player, yes, it's easy.

But that's not what you said. Look at the bolded part I quoted (probably for the first time :sneaky: ).
You said: "Rachele shot on goal was as easy as Walker's".

It was not. Closer to goal by at least 20m on the same angle is always easier. Give it up, fella.

But that's not what you said. Look at the bolded part I quoted (probably for the first time :sneaky: ).

It was not. Closer to goal by at least 20m on the same angle is always easier. Give it up, fella.
To you Rachele isn't a good player? There was no-one on the goal line, he could have kicked it with the same power as Walker 20m out lol.

There’s many a slip twixt the cup and the lip

To you Rachele isn't a good player?
I did not say that. It's not about how good Rachele is, or not.
Your
View attachment 2036244 deflections are hilarious.
There was no-one on the goal line, he could have kicked it with the same power as Walker 20m out lol.
Go back to your original statement. You said:
" ... Rachele shot on goal was as easy as Walker's" <== your words.

It was not, for reasons I've explained twice before.
Of the infinite number of parallel Universes, only in yours (La La Land?? :sneaky: ) is a shot from 40m out as easy as a shot at the same angle from <20m out.

Not just that, as a team player Rachele should have given off to Tex at that time. It's Team Footy 101.
Rachele's miss was bad enough, but taking the shot and not passing to Tex was worse.

Attachments

• 1719826760385.png
    1719826760385.png
    29 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Means you can make mistakes with every step, the dinky short kick, the gather/mark, the shot
True. Thanks.
Rachele could flub the kick/handball to Walker.
Walker could flub the gather, shank the kick, miss the goal etc, fair enough.

I was really just talking about team footy.
If Rachele had goaled, not a problem, but he didn't and Tex was in a better position (with the above caveats known).

This is true and you're right that West Coast is a good example. It's also about performance relative to expectations. West Coast have resilient fans but still lost quite a lot in terms of attendance numbers in the depths of last year, who have come back in response to somewhat improved performances and just an overall much more competitive side.

It’s called the “Harley Reid effect”

A couple more performances like the one against the Hawks though and their faith will be tested

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A couple more performances like the one against the Hawks though and their faith will be tested

Their average home attendance over past 2 years (2023 and 2024) has been 42-43k whilst in 2022 was 36k in a stadium that fits 61k. Only in 2018 and 2019 did they hit an average of 53k.

Agree a few more performances like Sunday and those crowds will drop - Harley Reid or no Harley Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched that game & Reid in particular.

There were 2-3 instances of him either not chasing or putting in a lame effort to chase.

Not saying he's lazy, probably more that we are now 2/3's through the season & he might be struggling a bit.

Did you believe this when we won 3 late games in 2020 or any of the other times we won dead rubbers?

When we played GWS in Round 16, GWS were actually in the 8 before the round started so that game wasn’t a dead rubber.

The games against Hawks and Carlton - absolutely. I assume we saw a chance to avoid the wooden spoon if we defeated Richmond @ home in the last round.

He actually did some positive things on the weekend (awesome crumb to setup Fog’s goal from the goal square as one example), but that kick just highlighted every issue with him. Doubt he gets dropped though, was actually one of his better games for the season and he’s stayed in for far worse games.
two wrongs don't make a right

Meh..... Rachele should of keeping running towards goal and drawn the GWS player before hand passing or whatever to team mate to kick a goal. His last second change of mind to shoot for goal caused the miss.

re-watching the replay you can tell his first instinct was to pass, but Walker didn't immediately lead towards him, hence he made a last minute decision to shoot instead.

he is a young player to would learn from these instances.

The Good
A win is a win is a win, and this was a Simon (a good win). (If only we got 4 points for every time I said 'win'.)
Rankine didn't get injured. That's always a highlight.
Holding fast for the whole second half against a quality and desperate opponent. Good signs.

The Bad
The standing water at one end of the ground.
The smallish crowd against a star-studded preliminary finalist. I hope the weather, that caused that standing water, had a say in the attendance.

The Ugly
As usual, the tone of the BigFooty forum here, after a good win. Honestly, some of you guys act like Power fans. Way to go.

The Good
A win is a win is a win, and this was a Simon (a good win). (If only we got 4 points for every time I said 'win'.)
Rankine didn't get injured. That's always a highlight.
Holding fast for the whole second half against a quality and desperate opponent. Good signs.

The Bad
The standing water at one end of the ground.
The smallish crowd against a star-studded preliminary finalist. I hope the weather, that caused that standing water, had a say in the attendance.

The Ugly
As usual, the tone of the BigFooty forum here, after a good win. Honestly, some of you guys act like Power fans. Way to go.
Geez... do you work for the club?

Yes a win is a win.

Definitely feels better then a dam LOSS.

But there is still issues within the team that has not been dealt with.

I would dare say 85% or more crows fans don't want Murphy near the first team and wanting to play the kids more often in the positions where they are suited and can succeed.

you should of heard the cheers and excitement when Taylor was on the field and touch the footy to know the general feelings of the fans.

The Good
A win is a win is a win, and this was a Simon (a good win).
A Simon. I like it :sneaky: .
"Quality, desperate"? Meh.
At one stage we led 74-37, so they outscored us by 21 points after that.
A better side eg Sydney/Collingwood might well have stolen the win. I wouldn't put it past them to score the extra 3 goals needed (and GWS fluffed a few chances).
I'll get keen when they can turn that 37-point lead into an 80-point win.
The Ugly
I know what you mean; there is a fair bit of negativity, but I don't think it's about the win as much as disappointment with the Season.
For myself, I loved that second quarter and enjoyed the win.
My Playbook has some silver linings:
--- Rankine:sunglasses: is elite, a gun. Skilled, speedy, balanced, composed; wow, Brownlow material if he stays fit.
--- I'm glad Murray is back, Hinge is having impact, love Michalanney/Nankervis, Hamill is improving.
--- RT looks strong and hungry to play well.
Then the reality of the crippling 0-4 start and the current 5-9-1 hits me, plus
--- we'll have Nicks at least until the Bye next year
--- he'll keep picking Murphy :poov1:, and
--- another Flag seems a long way away :sadv1:.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back