Review Good/Bad/Ugly v Melbourne, R15 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

It might be simply that Pyke "saves up" player rotations for the last quarter and a half. Right at the start the players are fresh and do not need rotations. By the time the second quarter has got into full swing the Crows (having used less rotations) are a yard short and chasing. Then late in the third and in the last quarter Pyke uses the extra rotations he still has in hand and, as you say, the Crows start "looking a very different side altogether and are normally dominant from there on in until the final siren".
Something I noticed after watching the replay of the crows v Eagles game at Subiaco was in the last quarter when we were really dominating but only a couple of goals up was all 4 interchange players were standing on the boundary line hungry to get back on the ground, which completely contrasted with the Eagles players sitting on the pine.

It really captured the boys attitude at the moment, being hungry to be a part of the contest and to contribute.

Something I noticed after watching the replay of the crows v Eagles game at Subiaco was in the last quarter when we were really dominating but only a couple of goals up was all 4 interchange players were standing on the boundary line hungry to get back on the ground, which completely contrasted with the Eagles players sitting on the pine.

It really captured the boys attitude at the moment, being hungry to be a part of the contest and to contribute.
It's funny there was something quite stirring about that scene. We were on the charge and then to see four guys chomping at the but to get on. It was like a tsunami was about to hit the Eagles.

It's funny there was something quite stirring about that scene. We were on the charge and then to see four guys chomping at the but to get on. It was like a tsunami was about to hit the Eagles.

Totally agree....

I was fortunate enough to be at the game in the crows cheersquad for the game and the only disappointing thing about the last quarter was didn't get to see any players up close

Watching the replay I thought that image totally encapsulated our last quarter....

Last edited:
Not so sure there isn't some merit to this. My gut feeling watching us closely this year is that come finals time many of the cheap over the back goals that the likes of Eddie and JJ mop up will dry up to some extent. Not to mention Eddie has struggled in finals to date when closely checked (e.g. Stratton). It reminds me of Modra in some ways, it may have been a blessing in disguise that he was injured in 97. Not that I think Milera looks ready to step up into a finals cauldron. I also acknowledge that we may still be able to crack open sides with our slingshot football in finals, but I just don't think it'll happen as regularly as it has during the minor round. That said, one of the most pleasing aspects of Pyke's coaching is the use of both Charlie and Eddie off the back of the square - when it works it's damn hard to stop and great to watch.

Stratton is the only defender in the league that regularly slaughters Eddie.

I.e He'll be fine unless we come up against Hawthorn. If we do, just hope Eddie is really on.

Not sure this has been mentioned in the thread yet, but...
GOOD: Our last three wins have been games that were absolutely on the line at 3/4 time. Two against top 8 opponents and two away from home. Three big last quarters, three wins - season shaping.
Builds belief and cements an attitude in the players that we can overrun teams at the death.

Don't think we've had that since 97 and 98

Builds belief and cements an attitude in the players that we can overrun teams at the death.

Don't think we've had that since 97 and 98
I don't think I've had that since 97/98.

Edited to add: At half time in the WCE and Melbourne games I was annoyed (of course), but reasonably cool; "we can win this" - almost "we will win this". Years gone by I would have just started drinking. Says something about the mindset this team is creating in its supporters.

Last edited:
Didn't see the injury list, but at the ground it looked to me that Browny was doing run ups at the half time break with what looked like a groin injury.

Birdman was worried about him and he didn't participate in the warmup at the start of the third quarter. Any word on him?

Anyways, my two cents worth about the game from one of the pitiful few who bothered to turn up and pay money to watch:

- Atmosphere at the ground was non-existent - reminded me of a country match - was expecting the car horns to toot at a goal.
- We can't play the wide expanse of the MCG. Surely we can learn to play wide and cut back into the middle with 45 degree kicks like the Geelongs and Hawthorns do? Can we not train for that in Adelaide?
- Melbourne fans are so boring. Even my shouting abuse at their favourite son Hogan who squibbed off that kick from goal from 40 metres out and who also hit the post after the "Hartigan Incident" didn't get a single bite from any of them.
- Bernie looks more attractive in red and blue than the tricolours (so my daughter said at the game who still has a crush on him). She is hoping for a trade to get him back to the club. Mackay maybe?
- How do we possibly continue to make hacks like Garlett look like footballers? We have a habit of making silk purses out of sows ears. Damn even Bernie (17 possessions - better than Smithers and same as CC) and Jack Watts (23 possessions and 3 goals) looked mildly like footballers at times. At least we made Dawes look like the spud he truly is.
- If I shut my eyes and pretend I am back in the late '90s I swear that I see Bunji every time I see CC run with the ball. Damn this kid is good and will get even better.
- We got the better McGovern. That crunch pack mark on the wing - wow!
- Can we clone Sloaney and Lairdo? Real man crush.
- JJ either signed during the week (doubtful) or he is seriously already gone to Brissy cause he put a real dent in his cash value with that display.
- We are one KPP away from being a truly great side with a serious chance of pinching the flag this year. I know it has been said before (many times) but how much better would we be under Pykey if "He Who Can't Be Named" was still running around with us?
- WTF is the AFC membership doing to us long-suffering Vic Members by handing out pitiful AFC rally flags as part of our membership deal? Might use it a wash cloth for my car.

Conclusion:

- 4 points and 5th on percentage. Move on to next week.
- Another practice game for September at the MCG next week against so-called "weak" opposition.
- 10-4. Would have taken this at the start of the season given our draw.

Damn I am a keen observer of medical issues!

Wonder if the AFC needs a new medical recruit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad/Ugly v Melbourne, R15 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back