Review Good/Bad v Hawthorn, Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We were -10 in contested and got it back to +10 i think before hawks got on top again late in the game and it finished dead even.

I don't know the actual stats figures, but it was the Hawks (lightning) quick hands in/around the stoppages that was hurting us. Particularly early on. What I've noticed the clever teams (particularly the Ground-level players) do is not simply get sucked into the contest, and/or get caught with tunnel vision on the ball....they often tackle opposition handball receivers - not just focus on the bloke who has the Pill in the first instance. This is something that is quite hard to spot, but it makes a big, big difference in the scrimmages. It's the clever players that look for this, and tackle accordingly.

I don't know the actual stats figures, but it was the Hawks (lightning) quick hands in/around the stoppages that was hurting us. Particularly early on. What I've noticed the clever teams (particularly the Ground-level players) do is not simply get sucked into the contest, and/or get caught with tunnel vision on the ball....they often tackle opposition handball receivers - not just focus on the bloke who has the Pill in the first instance. This is something that is quite hard to spot, but it makes a big, big difference in the scrimmages. It's the clever players that look for this, and tackle accordingly.
It was something PW worked on. Stop the 1-2 receive. Push the player off the contest, block their path but don't let them become re-involved in the chain

The key for our midfield is a balance & that everyone is contributing in some way... ie. It's not just about possessions, but pressure too.

Weren't you complaining about Thommo & his lack of 2 way running last year...
So there's no middle ground? It's either tackle a lot or don't chase? There are plenty of quality midfielders that can combine both, we've got one of the best of them.

Let's see how much we applaud a tackling midfielder who doesn't get the ball when we are getting beaten in the middle and lose.

So there's no middle ground? It's either tackle a lot or don't chase? There are plenty of quality midfielders that can combine both, we've got one of the best of them.

Let's see how much we applaud a tackling midfielder who doesn't get the ball when we are getting beaten in the middle and lose.

If Hampton wants to become a quality mid he needs to find more of the pill otherwise give someone else a crack

It was something PW worked on. Stop the 1-2 receive. Push the player off the contest, block their path but don't let them become re-involved in the chain

Yep, that sounds around the mark. But it's bl00dy hard to coach that sorta thing. Almost everyone instinctively just goes for the Pill....rather than minding opponents. I've watched how the smart team don't get "sucked into the contest"; they deliberately have guys on the outer, not jumping straight for the Pill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v Hawthorn, Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back