Review Good/Bad v St Kilda, Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Good
  • Beat them in the first and didn't really have to do much after that point
  • Jono Beech's first goal! What a spectacle.
  • Jake Lever is a bloody gun
  • I thought Jenkins, Atkins and Smith all responded (although this wasn't exactly a pressure match)
  • Lynch was fantastic throughout the night
  • Comfortable win while not playing good football
  • Milera provided a lot through the center I thought.
  • After getting soundly beaten early, Jacobs responded to dominate in the ruck and around the ground
  • It's obvious we look better without Mackay in the middle. Saw far better tackling pressure than last week when the game was there to be won (for about 15 minutes in the first quarter)
  • It's now the bye, and I reckon our players need it
Bad
  • Generally a boring, awful game of football
  • St Kilda did not come to play, so we didn't learn anything about how we'd respond in a pressure match
  • At times we looked really, really bad
  • Sloane did nothing when tagged. We don't have an effective strategy for stopping his tag
  • Otten offered us nothing aside from a 10-15 minute period in the first quarter. Still think we are too tall because St Kilda managed to stroll out of our forward line pretty often
  • Not a great lot of composure in the second half, particularly in the defensive zone which leaked easy shots on goal.
  • The umpiring was disgraceful and reamed St Kilda early, before doing a classic "even up" in the last

Hmmmm, yeah. Good to bury them early, but overall the clutch was in for the second half.

Milera has it mentally, he will be balanced in regards to physical presence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good- A win is a win, good response in first half. Milera, Greenwood, Lever, Lynch, Laird all good. Smith and Atkins much better. Beechys first goal, with the cut back between 2 saints, nice.
Bad/Ugly- Saints skills, that third quarter was putrid to watch, our centre square work and helping Sloane thru a tag.

What a nothing game.

Greenwood has a lot to like!

Lever excellent

Laird

Matt crouch. His disposal has been very good lately. Good player.

Walker better

Milera shows some class. Just needs to learn to do it against good opposition.

Bcrouch kicking poor at times but everything else very good. Thought that was one of his better games. Still learning and very inexperienced. I still have hope he'll be a good player.

As far as the team goes. Nothing changes. We're a decent side that can't handle pressure. When the pressure isn't there we look like a million bucks.

Sloane is a worry. It's a wonder other teams mids aren't getting tagged that heavily. Still seems like an effective tactic. I'm hopefully Sloane will learn. He's an out and out gun and a fast learner. He's just stuck in a midfield with no other elite talent.

The first 2/3rds of the match was an A grade game. The last 1/3rd of the match was C grade - and I don't mean the spectacle, I mean in terms of the crows getting out of the game what they should and learning what they need to do to go well in finals. That last 1/3rd they should have gone defensive, they need to learn to keep teams unable to score, to have them grind and grind and grind for no return, they could have easily done it by having one or two back, I mean what was to lose, they had the game sealed up, they should have practiced a defensive game, but no, the crows gameday-less show rolls on.

Beech was good.

Greenwood was awesome.

Douglas seems like he's trying to get himself dropped with criminal mistakes and contests for a senior player.

Knight hasn't gone anywhere near finding his mojo this year.

Cameron - what an excitement machine.

Still no real solution to operation tag sloane.

Did the crows complain behind closed doors the the AFL about the umpires in the geelong game last week. There was a bit of a case. 22 frees to 15 - unheard of.

There is not a lot to really get out of this performance other than some good individual performances and a few memorable moments.

Very ordinary at times but the first quarter or so was generally solid. Beech fits at this level. Otten out for Gov should tomorrow go well.

Good:
Three young lads -
Milera did some special things
Lever is becoming elite
Mrouch with another good game - nice kicks

Beech did well in his first
Laird did his usual AA level game
Lynch again good,
Tex was a nearly magnificent game
Greenwood tough at it
CC a nearly amazeballs...

Hmmm:
Brad - where is the zip?
Dougie - a lot of it, but a lot burned as well
Knight looked a bit lost, suffering this season from no regular run of games (I hope that's the reason)

First quarter was good, 2nd ok, but after that the players had the mind on the bye

Good: winning ugly is still a win. Sometimes you can only play as well as the opposition lets you. Some of you who demand this perfection need to realise this. Tonight was just about getting 4 pts, not winning premierships.

We certainly hit the body harder this week. Way better. Wasn't perfect but its something that it is going in the right direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v St Kilda, Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back