Review Good/Bad v St Kilda, Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Id play him over Otten in the forward line purely for balance. But yes, would be just warming the spot for govs return.

He's not fast, but still way more agile than Otten. Ottens turning circle is only smaller than Jacobs, although Jacobs can probably stop quicker. He's footy smarts can only make up for so much.

I don't object to Douglas being in the side but he really needs to take a back seat and have short burst. We need to have the next generation being the prime midfielders. I think this would actually improve his impact.

Say what you want about Ling but he was absolutely spot on about defenders. Those that can mark, are composed and can deliver the ball are worth their weight in gold. Pure shut down defenders are a dime a dozen. I believe our defence have too many of these types. Don't get me wrong, you must be able to defend, but that's the minimum requirement. I think our defence is as a big an issue as our midfield.

Lever is an absolute gun and will be our next captain. The problem is, when he goes for those intercepts, noone covers the space he's left. Everyone just focuses blindly on their man. We don't work like a defensive unit in that way.
On lever. If this was Hartigan I'd also be concerned as he tends to not kill the ball or knock it back goal side. Lever either takes the mark or puts it a few rows back.

It's official Douglass is the boards whipping board he plays a great game cops criticsm there were 15 players worse than him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't object to him being in the side, but surely we've learnt the lessons from the Thommo situation as others stars of yesteryear where we failed to pass on the torch until it was too late.

Geelong have been the benchmark for transitioning their veterans I reckon.

It's official Douglass is the boards whipping board he plays a great game cops criticsm there were 15 players worse than him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He was middle of the road for me. Found it plenty, but was one of the more guilty players of shitty forward 50 entries. So obsessed with getting it in that I'm not sure if they even bother looking if they're kicking it straight to 3 Saints players or not.

Not sure if Lever's kicking has been talked about? Was very inconsistent in his first two years. Prone to a couple of bad turnovers per game.

This year I can only think of a couple of memorable turnovers but apart from that he has been sublime. I highly rate his kicking and decision making now, which was my only concern with him.

Goes to show that poor kicking is not permanent.

The warmup before the game was so different to last week's and others. Goal kickers out early having shots; lots of intensity in the main warmup. We were switched on from 1st bounce and this may be the reason. I reckon there were 22 rockets up 22 freckles last Monday.
Greenwood! 16--yep, 16 contested possessions from his 17 possession game. Had three tackles, but did a lot of heavy lifting in the guts. He was the only one I saw try to get between Sloane and his tagger.

16 out of 17 possessions contested, by far the most in the team.

That's unbelievable, he ain't going anywhere.
At one stage he had 12 possessions, with 13 contested. I guess you don't need a disposal for a CP?

Thought the midfield was back, just not quite the connection to the forward line that we saw in Rounds 1-6.

Could have been 100+ if we weren't so fumbly and messy with the ball at times.

As good as the first goal was not sure Beech holds his spot. No idea what he actually brings to the team, thing Wigg has more strings to his bow.
Beech is a big body and an outstanding mark! Thats 2 more things than Wigg would bring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So pyke strategy is to watch his best player get tagged out of the game. Hmmmm
He seemingly has a "next man up" type thought process and expects someone to step up if Sloane is being tagged out of the game. Why we don't just continually have Sloane drag that man away from the contest I don't know. Sit him up forward for a chunk and let Cameron in the middle, move him down back to free up Laird. If we're gonna have him be tagged out, let's try and use that to free up someone else, not just not have him get near it in the middle of the ground.

Not sure if Lever's kicking has been talked about? Was very inconsistent in his first two years. Prone to a couple of bad turnovers per game.

This year I can only think of a couple of memorable turnovers but apart from that he has been sublime. I highly rate his kicking and decision making now, which was my only concern with him.

Was thinking that last night. His kicking is becoming very good. Absolute MUST re-sign.

Will be a great captain of the club

Absolute indictment on the whole playing group and coaching staff that a 2 game player had the most pressure acts and he is was on the ground the least wmount of time.

Well done Hugh, the rest of the team and coaches should be embarrassed.
It says more about him IMO. Sometimes you come across a guy who just lives to be in beast mode.

Bad:
Cameron needs a spell. If he didn't have speed he'd struggle to even be on an AFL list.
Douglas always gives hospital passes. So frustrating. He could have been our Jordan Lewis over the years.
Midfield. Again very unaccountable especially in the second half. Was a very soft game over all.

Wut.

I might be wrong but I thought I saw Sloane start at half back and do a (CC) run into the middle at the centre bounce. That was near the end of the game. I think that the bounce was recalled and Sloane told the guy on the wing to go forward while he took the wing position on the re-bounce.
So, maybe they did try something new, albeit at the very end of the game.
I agree with you, though. He's clever enough to be played in a forward pocket or the wing. At least for periods of the game.

Sloane was playing deep in defence for part of the last quarter. He needs to learn to shake a tag, if he can't then move him out of the guts permanently.

Matt Crouch has also developed into a good kick. Thumbs up for our coaches?

Lever is an unbelievable player. Captaincy would suit him already.

How good is Greenwood at intercepting a handball? Just reads it brilliantly. Fair wing span - very deceptive. Catches the opposition by surprise.
Very impressive game from Hugh. Looking forward to seeing him bust a game open, which i think he will do.

One thing that's been noticeable is Douglas' extraordinary skill for finding a crowded target for the quick receive by hand or foot.

Everyone in the team would make those mistakes occasionally but it seems to happen a couple times every game with him. For a senior player that's really poor.

Compare that to Lever. He picks out some amazing targets from HB. Kicks to space, etc. Which one is the senior player again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v St Kilda, Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back