Review Good/Bad v St Kilda, Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know what Pyke believes. Nor do you, unless you're a close friend and confidant.
That's why it's speculation, and why I said "maybe" and "might".
Exposed behavior does give an indication of future behavior.

It looks like I am one of not many Crows fans in here who is happy that they won on Friday night, got the 4 points and increased their % (currently BEST, thanks to Essendon's demolition of PA which I LOOOVED), and are sitting Top 2 at 9-3.
Did you think, or would you only be happy if we were 12-0 with 160+% ?
Has that ever happened?

C'mon, it's the bye, we're really well-placed but not perfect, and we have a chance to learn from our losses (AND wins) and get even better.
EDIT: do you think the Crows can win the Flag this year? I do.
I think you need to be here a little longer before you try and profile people. I love your input and positivity. But please look back over a few of my posts( I do have quite a few :$ samples ie previous behavior ) I have said the best season is 19-3 and a pass is 16-6. I also thought we had a strong opportunity to be 11-1.

Am I happy we won Friday night? Yes of course. To suggest I am not is a mistake.
Do I think we could be better ? Yes
Do I think we should have changed things 'in game' ? Yes
Do I think we can win the flag? I think we can win it every year. Just 1 or 2 things go right and who knows

You are happy to wait after the bye for something to happen, I think it should be happening now. I have mentioned before the club seems to be so focused on the week to week they sometimes fail to see the long term. People laugh at Beveridge for rucking Easton Wood, but I bet that pays off. Last year we ( in my opinion) failed to take the opportunity of playing Brisbane and Gold Coast back to back to introduce Harrison Wigg while resting Scott Thompson. Some say Wigg wasn't ready. I say how would we know and we still don't know.

I'm going to call it now, if we play Geelong on the G we will win.

They don't like wide open grounds - their form at the G is average at best and well below their Simounds Stadium form.
You might be right but let's not just rely on that. let's look at where we are deficient and fix it now. This year is wide open, there's no real dominant team(s).

You might be right but let's not just rely on that. let's look at where we are deficient and fix it now. This year is wide open, there's no real dominant team(s).

Agreed, there's a whole bunch of sides who can play some really good footy on their day, but for many it's the exception rather than the rule. I think we've got a real opportunity this year, all we need to do is decrease the difference between our best which is probably better than anyone in the league and our worst which is pretty putrid. At this stage I think there's 3 clubs playing consistent enough footy to win, GWS, Adelaide and Geelong, none of whom have been particularly convincing. The rest are pretenders at this stage, but that could change.

Wasn't doubting his performances this year nor his performance on Friday night. He's a ball magnet and a collector. But I still do question his ability to use the ball dangerously, much like his brother but probably not on that level. It was only earlier this year were people doubting his kicking ability but it's definitely improved this year. My point and query is - will he get be able to continually improve on that, possibly a prime Matt Priddis like impact?
Yeah it's still a valid question. Still capable of the odd shank. I guess we have to weigh up all the other aspects to his game as well though.

Don't disagree but still 10 weeks to go - its a long game plan not a short game plan.

Reckon challenging games for the rest of the season against Bullies, Geelong and Collingwood (at the G). We beat the first two - top 2 would be guaranteed. % is going to play a huge part this year and ours is worth a game.

Focus on top 2 and then take it from there.

Going to use logic here - the worst no 1 team has been 15-7 (1997) so if you look at the current table, the only sides with a realistic opportunity to finish top are GWS, Adelaide and Geelong. If you are 9-3 after 12, you are likely to be 16-6 or better come years end.

Geelong have 2 games against GWS and 1 against Richmond plus Sydney and us.
GWS have 2 against Geelong, 1 against Bulldogs, Sydney and Richmond
Richmond have Geelong, GWS and Sydney (they may rue those three narrow losses under a goal)

Last edited:
He said during the week he prefers consistency and all the successful sides around the world do. Was he being a trickster?
"Trickster"? Relevance?
We were talking about what he believes.
OK, fair point, he "prefers consistency" but I interpret that as consistent effort, sustained through the game as a team effort, by most of the players. I doubt that he means "winning every week" which would be consistent, but unrealistic.

"Trickster"? Relevance?
We were talking about what he believes.
OK, fair point, he "prefers consistency" but I interpret that as consistent effort, sustained through the game as a team effort, by most of the players. I doubt that he means "winning every week" which would be consistent, but unrealistic.
He was talking about consistency of game plan and why he wasn't going to change ours.

Agreed, there's a whole bunch of sides who can play some really good footy on their day, but for many it's the exception rather than the rule. I think we've got a real opportunity this year, all we need to do is decrease the difference between our best which is probably better than anyone in the league and our worst which is pretty putrid. At this stage I think there's 3 clubs playing consistent enough footy to win, GWS, Adelaide and Geelong, none of whom have been particularly convincing. The rest are pretenders at this stage, but that could change.
If, as touted, Doedee is a potential quality midfielder then get
him in the side. He's a big body and he's apparently hard it.

I think you need to be here a little longer before you try and profile people ... etc

With respect, real respect for your record/participation and measured response, I wasn't trying to profile you, and thanks for the clarification/explanation.

Exposed behavior does give an indication of future behavior
Quite right, but I don't have the time to review everybody's previous posts. Fair point --- you feel like I was pigeon-holing you, apologies.
My impression from my participation so far is that there are more negative comments than positive in here. At 6-0, we were unbeatable, hooray! Lose to NM and the haters came out in force, with even more vitriol after the Melb and Geelong losses. It's jaw-dropping.
3 losses does not a season make. Savouring wins like the Freo game are important, yet so many were so MEH about it, "only Freo" etc. Very odd.

I do not think we can win the Flag, every year. I hope, every year, and I've been pleasantly surprised by this year's 9-3, our ladder position and %. I've said often that I think we need some more MONGREL, some unsociable toughness, and I think we need to react better to opposition goal streaks. Their slow starts are bewildering. The way/s they fall off the game when they are ahead (sometimes) is a matter of mental weakness, not skills or fitness eg the Melbourne game. From 28 points up, it looked like they relaxed, Melb got 3 quick goals and had half-time to get fired up for another 6 consecutive goals. SIX! Why the coaches do not have a go-slow contingency after a team scores no more than 3 consecutive goals is beyond me. After 3, belief is so much stronger, adrenalin kicks in, and it fires up previously sleeping players. The Crows also have a tendency to lairise and be a bit too fancy when they are in front --- that's a kind of mental weakness too. Coaches like Leigh Matthews and Captains like Steve Waugh would never have allowed/tolerated that kind of smart-arseness. Pyke and Walker need to monitor that.
You are happy to wait after the bye for something to happen, I think it should be happening now.
I think we're more alike than not.
I wait for something to happen every game. I want the Crows to make it happen, every game.
Anyway, like you I want it to happen now, during the bye, and after the bye, to produce 3 consecutive wins in September and the Flag.

Got to wonder whether he has confidence in his foot.

I looked at the stats part way through the game & he had 1 kick & double digits handball.

Mark Bickley summed it when talking about Greenwood, and why Matt Crouch has improved,
Young Inside/ outside mids need game time to find that balance, ie finding out how to get the ball in the open with time, They all go thru it, Dangerfield took about 60 odd games get the balance, Sloane did the same, Matt Crouch is reaping the benefits of finding some balance this year after 50 odd games, Brad Crouch is still in see ball get ball mode, give him time and you will see small changes where he is receiving and running. Greenwood the same he needs to build up game time and regularly finding the ball then getting that balance. Greenwood will pick it up quicker due to his elite level Basketball background.
Not too much to worry about at this time as you can see small changes in his positioning, So you know they are working on correcting the balance with him.

I think Talia might be injured, given the number of times he was spelled and replaced down back by Otten; either that or we were spelling Talia to find a place to stick Otten at times, which is just a whole other worry.

He spent a good deal of time off the ground getting the busted nose plugged.

Otten warmed up with the defensive group and did all the pe-game work with that group, Believe it was a plan to counter StKilda tall forward line to ensure we alway had 3 tall defenders on the park at all times, and 2 tall in the forward line allowing Lynch to be that link player all game rather than spending time covering Walker and JJ.
I don't class Kelly as a tall defender, and Lynch is only 190 so these days he's not a tall forward. Also Crows look better with only the two tall forwards, and a couple of medium mid-size forwards was good to see CC running higher up the ground again.

I'm going to call it now, if we play Geelong on the G we will win.

They don't like wide open grounds - their form at the G is average at best and well below their Simounds Stadium form.

If we get them in a prelim it will be at the G if it's in Melbourne the AFL will want the return

And obviously the GF will be at the G

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Main observation from rewatching the game. Cameron Ling is an absolute halfwit. Listening to his purile trite nonsense is mind-numbing. Channel 7 please get rid of this idiot!

Have a big screen alway watch the replay without the volume get a better slant on the game without piss poor commentators to influence my view on the game.

Don't disagree but still 10 weeks to go - its a long game plan not a short game plan.

Reckon challenging games for the rest of the season against Bullies, Geelong and Collingwood (at the G). We beat the first two - top 2 would be guaranteed. % is going to play a huge part this year and ours is worth a game.

Focus on top 2 and then take it from there.

Going to use logic here - the worst no 1 team has been 15-7 (1997) so if you look at the current table, the only sides with a realistic opportunity to finish top are GWS, Adelaide and Geelong. If you are 9-3 after 12, you are likely to be 16-6 or better come years end.

Geelong have 2 games against GWS and 1 against Richmond plus Sydney and us.
GWS have 2 against Geelong, 1 against Bulldogs, Sydney and Richmond
Richmond have Geelong, GWS and Sydney (they may rue those three narrow losses under a goal)

Geelong next game is not a given either they play West Coast at Domain.

Just out of general curiosity, does anybody know what the record is for the most number of players in a team who came off the rookie list? I was just looking at our team from Friday night which had 6 - Beech, Greenwood, Cameron, Laird, Hartigan and Kelly. 7 if you count Jenkins who we got cheap off Essendon's rookie list.

That's some pretty sharp recruiting down at the bottom end there.

Just out of general curiosity, does anybody know what the record is for the most number of players in a team who came off the rookie list? I was just looking at our team from Friday night which had 6 - Beech, Greenwood, Cameron, Laird, Hartigan and Kelly. 7 if you count Jenkins who we got cheap off Essendon's rookie list.

If you count Jenkins then you need to count Betts.

Someone should do a rookie list of the century list. Reckon the Crows would have a few

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad v St Kilda, Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back