• Lachie Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I
Put it this way, I can’t ever recall thinking:

“geez, player x is unlucky to miss out but player y has shown sufficient form to retain their spot/come in. I’m happy whichever way selection goes.”

As Nicks says, form is fleeting but to have the likes of Berry, McAdam and Worrell to come back, and to have guys like Shoenberg, Crouch, Hateley not in the immediate discussion is very strange indeed.

I feel for Taylor and Nank- they’re gonna be waiting a while for a shot.
If a player is good enough they generally force their way in. At the end of the day the coach just wants the team to win and whoever makes that happen they will run with. The strongest group of 35 generally wins the flag. The beauty with our squad now is that Nick's has confidence that he could play 6-8 players outside of the current team that wouldn't drop our performance. That's why he needs to keep making changes so players don't leave for opportunity elsewhere and to keep players on their toes. Any players who are out of form for a period, need a rest or are carrying an injury should be rested unless they are a key to victory like Laird or Dawson. Luckily for us Laird and Dawson are very durable and fit.

Last edited:
Maybe. Perhaps not Richmond as we were smashed early
In terms of Dawson - the reason he asked/told Nicks was due to the two losses, so if we had of kicked straight and won those games 100% Dawson wouldn’t have played mid yet so the other 3 games may have seen different results.

Sliding doors

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Imagine if we played Richmond next week with their current injury list

What are you on about? Think your self adulation in this thread has caused your head to swell so much there isn't enough oxygen getting through to your brain.

My point is that McAdam was first choice and has now missed a chunk of footy so will need to come through the 2's. Thats what the 4 weeks comment was about.

But please, go back to telling everyone in this thread about your correct predictions!
Worth it to wind up people like you

Always want to see him more midfield than forward though.

And his smothering in D50 has been awesome to watch. That s**t is so underrated.. it lifts the entire team when team mates see that stuff and can help change momentum and deflate opposition teams.
Murphy doesn't strike me as a goalsneak, but delivers the ball well. I'd like to see a heat map of his last three games.

Agree totally about his smothering, Jones as well. Smothering a kick is inherently dangerous (dislocated fingers, or worse) and can be super-effective as you said. One of Jones' smothers I50 resulted directly in one of his goals, but not sure if it was last week or vs PA.
Another effective 1%er is arms-out-to-shepherd after giving a handball. Players like Dawson and Sloane do it reflexively. Underrated.

Milera was standing up.. ball in hand looking the umpire, who was barely 10m away, with an expression of “this bloke is literally holding me back from running by grabbing my ankles” on his face.. and the umpire didnt call it.

It was only when Milera actually fell to the ground trying to then run off that the ump finally called the “legged” free kick!
I was going to ask you who the Carlton leg-grabber was until I saw this:
I wonder if Silvagni will get cited for swinging the leg and tripping him?
Silvagni hung onto Milera's leg, kicked him off his feet :oops: then jumped all over him. How Milera's right leg was not injured is a miracle.
Nothing to see there. Silvagni won't even cop a fine, betcha.

I was going to ask you who the Carlton leg-grabber was until I saw this:

Silvagni hung onto Milera's leg, kicked him off his feet :oops: then jumped all over him. How Milera's right leg was not injured is a miracle.
Nothing to see there. Silvagni won't even cop a fine, betcha.

They are from Lygon street after all. Kneecaping is considered a skill set there.

That incident is just another example of how dumb the current crop of AFL umpires are.

Milera was standing up.. ball in hand looking the umpire, who was barely 10m away, with an expression of “this bloke is literally holding me back from running by grabbing my ankles” on his face.. and the umpire didnt call it.

It was only when Milera actually fell to the ground trying to then run off that the ump finally called the “legged” free kick!

It was comical stuff.. but thats what the umpiring has become.

And I agree with what Kelly Underwood (i think it was her) said the other day during the Freo game against the crows.. theres definitely been a fair few occassions where there has been a large lag in the decision making of the umps.. like they are too scared to make a quick decision that their fellow umps might not agree with..
Sine of the umps don't understand the rules. It's obvious.

We shouldn't have lost to them with their strongest team. Was our worst performance by a margin that game.
I wonder if we still lose those first two games if Dawson was in the middle? And if so, would the margins have been significantly less?

I’m not joking when I say I think Dawson in the middle has made us a 5-goal better side

This is an opinion based public forum.

I give my opinion as others give theirs.

if anyone doesn’t like the opinion of others then they can simply ignore it.. that’s what I do… if they want to take it further and don’t want to read it at all then there is an ignore button. I haven’t got a single person on this site on ignore.

but the point of this conversation is that it’s just unbelievably weird to start tagging in and mentioning a poster and directly asking for their opinion when it’s clear that the people asking have already stated many times in the past they don’t want to hear it and are sick of hearing it. And are simply tagging them in to try and get them to concede or retract previous positions.

this is nothing more than a way for them to attempt to silence a poster into no longer posting his/her opinion simply because they don’t like what he/she has to say.

what’s laughable is they have to wait ever 4-6 games to do it because that’s how often Keays plays a decent game like he did on Thursday night!

The Brownlow medal count was the funniest though.. geez I got a massive giggle out of that mostly because I wasn’t even on bigfooty that night and didn’t get all the notifications from the R6 premmy ejacs till the next morning!..

and geez didn’t they scurry away like cockroaches when I raised it all and responded to their tags that next day. Not one of them admitted they fxxkd up and went way early with their tagging in of me and gloating about bens brownlow votes that night just after round 6 was called.

that’s all I have to say on the subject. I will continue to give my opinion on this opinion based website and if others don’t like it then they can use the ignore button.. I won’t give one fxxk if they do but it’s a bit rich of them to be tagging/mentioning me asking for my comment and then getting pissed when I give it.
Fair response, thanks.

I didn't know about that 2022 Brownlow Keays-Round-6 business.
There are many players who receive no Brownlow votes, but play their role in the team's bottom-6 or so players. Some of them win Flags, go figure.

To me, Keays is a cross between Chicken Man ("he's everywhere, he's everywhere") and the Energiser Bunny (one speed, flat-out). I've whinged a lot about his kicking (still no right foot) but it does look to me like he's looking more for teammates. I can remember at least 2 short passes resulting in goals on Thursday, maybe more.
He's keen, really fit, positively influential, gave Saad another bath and clearly valued by his teammates and Nicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The people who want to trade Doedee are nuts. I've never understood how he gets a bad rap. His form was patchy last year but he was playing injured. We should be locking him in for a few more years.

If he were to go, and he can keep this standard up, the compo we get would be pretty juicy!

Win/Win at this stage I reckon, as we have MM, Worrel, Nakervis, and Cook waiting in the wings to support Butts & Muzz.

Murphy doesn't strike me as a goalsneak, but delivers the ball well. I'd like to see a heat map of his last three games.

Agree totally about his smothering, Jones as well. Smothering a kick is inherently dangerous (dislocated fingers, or worse) and can be super-effective as you said. One of Jones' smothers I50 resulted directly in one of his goals, but not sure if it was last week or vs PA.
Another effective 1%er is arms-out-to-shepherd after giving a handball. Players like Dawson and Sloane do it reflexively. Underrated.
He is more if a traditional forward flank/attacking wing than a small forward.

Certainly more suited to being a stoppage mid in the attacking half delivering the ball instead of expected to crumb and score.

View attachment 1660982View attachment 1660981 Screenshot_20230415_133309_AFL.jpg

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder if we still lose those first two games if Dawson was in the middle? And if so, would the margins have been significantly less?

I’m not joking when I say I think Dawson in the middle has made us a 5-goal better side
Yeah the coach is playing Dawson where he should have been played some time ago. Many of us have been calling for Dawson on a wing but the fact he is dominating midfield is even better. Our improvement has come from improvement in the 3 zones of forward, midfield and defence simultaneously This is rare, most teams improve in one zone and possibly two at the same time. Improving in the 3 zones simultaneously is the reason for the pronounced spike. Along with the players being very fit and knowing their role. If we have a good run with injuries we should finish around 7-8th.

Last edited:

He's made a big difference, for sure, but look at:

Better goalkicking has made a 5-goal difference. :sneaky:

Agree.
Thanks for the heat map, which shows he really favours his left foot. Interesting.

Where can I access that data, please?
All the heat maps from games can be found on the AFL app..

go to -
  • match centre
  • select game
  • select the “players” tab that takes you to the individual players stats.
  • click on the player you want to view the heat map of and you’ll find it in his stats..

Yeah the coach is playing Dawson where he should have been played some time ago. Many of us have been calling for Dawson on a wing but the fact he is dominating midfield is even better. Our improvement has come from improvement in the 3 zones of forward, midfield and defence simultaneously This is rare, most teams improve in one zone and possibly two at the same time. Improving in the 3 zones simultaneously is the reason for the pronounced spike. Along with the players being very fit and knowing their role. If we have a good run with injuries we should finish around 7-8th.
I think the startling good form of Michalanney has helped there, too.
Murray, Doedee, Michalanney have been very solid allowing Nicks to move Dawson forward.

He's made a big difference, for sure, but look at:

Better goalkicking has made a 5-goal difference. :sneaky:
True, but that could be a combination of better goalkicking and better scoring opportunities thanks to having Dawson and his elite skills roaming the middle of the ground

The way he has played we probably win both as I think with his leadership in there we wouldn’t be giving up these run of goals

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rory Lairds heat map from the Blues game…

59151ABC-3646-4FC8-AF15-0F25106FFA8D.jpeg

Jordan Dawson’s heat map from the Blues game..
60B0EB1E-9263-48A2-9E82-9E766A813698.jpeg

lot of Red in the centre there…

Think we may have found our elite big bodied mid..

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good vs Carlton, R5 2023

Back