Goodwin gets 1 week

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 26, 2004
rAdelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Leeds United
Not that it really matters now but just saw on the news that goodwin was suspended for 1 week for tripping.
i thought it was a bit harsh seeing he hasnt been reported in 10 years of playing footy.
Bit of a pain in the arse that he will be missing in round 1 next year but oh well what can ya do!

Jars458 said:
We should appeal. That's a crock. It looked accidental in my view and I think its very hard to prove that was reckless or deliberate.

Tribunal is a joke.

They made a good point though that contact was above the knee so technically its not a trip.
should of been a suspended sentence with a record like his.
Maybe he should of fractured james' (?) eye socket then he would of been fine.

What a joke.

It looked deliberate but it wasn't malicious.

He just stuck his leg out, it wasn't a kick. It deserved a free, but I was amazed when the umpire got his notebook out.

If it's not a trip than why was it reported. If it is clearly seen (on video) that contact was above the knee then surely we should appeal.

Looks like the tribunal's now making up its own rules. We have players getting let off for kneeing players in the eye, now we have players getting suspended for no apparant reason.

brucetiki said:
If it's not a trip than why was it reported. If it is clearly seen (on video) that contact was above the knee then surely we should appeal.

Looks like the tribunal's now making up its own rules. We have players getting let off for kneeing players in the eye, now we have players getting suspended for no apparant reason.

Its a tricky one though, technically it wasnt a trip because it was above the knee but I think the intention was there to trip which was probably the sticking point.
Its a tough law the tripping one, the umpires hands are tied with this one. Its up to the tribunal to use commonsense.

Columbo said:
At least the tribunal is consistent..........Consistently Inconsistent.
Not really.
They've rated love taps harsher than king hits for quite a while now. :rolleyes:

tatts00 said:
Its a tricky one though, technically it wasnt a trip because it was above the knee but I think the intention was there to trip which was probably the sticking point.
Its a tough law the tripping one, the umpires hands are tied with this one. Its up to the tribunal to use commonsense.

If it wasn't a trip, then how could it be reported. It doesn't matter about the intention if he didn't trip him.

brucetiki said:
If it wasn't a trip, then how could it be reported. It doesn't matter about the intention if he didn't trip him.

It was the same action and it had the same result I think it was James still went to ground more than likely due to the actions of Goodwin. The only thing that would classify it as a trip is that contact was above the knee however it was only just.
IMO he should of got a 1 match suspended sentence for having such a clean record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hugely inconsistent
Riccuito did the same thing and didn't even get reported!

hehe, but seriously, unless you are Fletcher then its pretty much a 50/50 call. Same with all tribunal decisions, ridiculous.

Was worth a free kick, but that's about all.

The AFL commission is paranoid about keeping the really bad kicking incidents, ala the late, great Bob Shearman's disposal of Jack Cahill, or Granger's clash with that Glenelg player (I can never remember his name).

So they come down like a ton of bricks on nothing incidents like Goodwin's.

A bit like using a shotgun to kill flies

McLeod23 said:
Never a good way to start off a season, and its not like we can't afford it.

Not that i think he can win it, but does that take him out of the running for next years brownlow or does it count for this year

He was suspended in 2004 so it must count against 2004. The only 2005 penalty is he now only has 21 games to get his votes. And for what it's worth, I think a fully fit and firing Simon Goodwin in a fully fit and firing Adelaide midfield is a smokey chance for a Brownlow. If Woeful can win one then Goody could also.

The decision is an unfair blight against Goodwin's good name. It is also a very fair blight against the farce that is the tribunal.

Looked to be bugger all in it and really no chance of causing any injury to anyone but himself.

How does that angry little ant Farmer knee someone in the head and get nothing for it and Goodwin gets 1 for a love tap.

I reckon the Tribunal will get a big working over for next season.

napsyd said:
He was suspended in 2004 so it must count against 2004. , I think a fully fit and firing Simon Goodwin in a fully fit and firing Adelaide midfield is a smokey chance for a Brownlow.

Lets be realistic. he has no chance.

He would at least have to stop either kicking it to the opposition or kicking it up in the air for that to occur.

Jars458 said:
Lets be realistic. he has no chance.

He would at least have to stop either kicking it to the opposition or kicking it up in the air for that to occur.

I would have thought he was a smokey in the way that other teams third or fourth rated midfielders have polled well in the past. You know, if the oppositions best takes Roo and the next best take Macca etc. You never know what a full preseason and an injury free season would do for him. A burning Goodwin is always a chance for 30 plus possessions. Possessions are a major influencing factor in the umps minds these days. Realistically, time is his biggest enemy now though.

Harsh call on his disposal jars. He wasn't great this year, but we all know he is better than that.

Jars458 said:
disagree. I think we have been kidding ourselves for too long. Under pressure his disposal is very poor.

Each to there own my friend.

I won't disagree with you on one point. We have been kidding ourselves about a number of things for too long.

tatts00 said:
Not that it really matters now but just saw on the news that goodwin was suspended for 1 week for tripping.
i thought it was a bit harsh seeing he hasnt been reported in 10 years of playing footy.
Bit of a pain in the arse that he will be missing in round 1 next year but oh well what can ya do!

It wasnt harsh it was fair, I was surprised he didnt get 2 weeks he stuck his leg out a long way, oh well he will be itching for action in Rnd 2 ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back