Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it doesn't help but nothing but respect for Brisbane. I grew up watching the great lions team of Voss etc al and those gf losses really stung. Just because they were so good lions always been my fave other team. You guys could have snagged it there. You'll be there about for the next few years.

I know it doesn't help but nothing but respect for Brisbane. I grew up watching the great lions team of Voss etc al and those gf losses really stung. Just because they were so good lions always been my fave other team. You guys could have snagged it there. You'll be there about for the next few years.
Thanks mate
Was at the game
Down to the last minute so total respect here as well
The day was fun
Someone wins and we lost
Enjoy

This is on the money also.

Anyone seen photos of Lachie after the game ?
An absolutely shattered man , heartbreaking to see him and the other players .
Im Fine GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say I feel for the mods tonight. I see so many posts popping up and then disappearing.

I do appreciate the great work you have done for us too
I accept payment in rum.
Hey I've still had pies fan sending me crap messages in a conversation. I've pot him on ignore but the messages are getting through.

How can I completely block him?
Not sure, I thought that would do it. Maybe check with the admins.
Better team won, but geez it’s hard to cop Victorian teams whinging about fixture inequality (who plays wce etc twice) when the grand final is so stacked against any non Victorian side. For those keeping score that’s 2 wins from the past 12 times a non vic team has faced a vic team in the gf.
The breakdown of the crowd being 75% Collingwood despite the 50/50 alleged nature of finals makes it a real joke. We only had a 60/40 advantage tops at a real home game. Give the AFL members to the clubs!

Anyone seen photos of Lachie after the game ?
An absolutely shattered man , heartbreaking to see him and the other players .
The whole team were shattered - and they would be, to get so close… I hope this doesn’t effect us negatively - although history suggests teams who lose gf by low margins come back better in the future.

The magpies fans around me at the game and after the game have all been so nice. It’s a bit unsettling
I've had some ****wits hassling me as I walked down Brunswick St so that was fun.

Geez in a 4 point loss and out of 6 players we have 1.Collingwood have 4 of them who are midfielders. Think that tells the story.
It doesn't tell much, five points the other way and the judges would have just switched all those ones and twos to Lions.

Dodongo's report card

Robertson - E
Daniher - A+
Ah Chee - F
Dunkley - B
McCluggagge - B
Berry - F
Neale - C
McCarthy - B
Zorko - E
Rayner - F
Lyons - A (fact is he had a better game than a few players in only half a quarter)
Coleman - A
Cameron - B
McKenna - E
Gardiner - E
Fletcher - E
Hipwood - F F
Andrews - B
Bailey - A
Lester - E
Starcevich - F
Wilmott - F
McInerney - E

Development is rarely linear.

I honestly think Rayner is still a year off his best, when consistent performance becomes the norm. He has played some big moments this year and a couple of big games. Never say never with a player who is still 23. Go back two years and De Goey was really no better than Rayner is now, big moments and a few big games. De Goey just got hyped a lot more because of the club he played for and the fact he was a human headline.

Development is unpredictable for so many players. I look at players like Lohmann, Tunstill, Sharp. They may look a long way off…until they aren’t. I would say Kiddy is the same. Last year he was “developing” and showed signs. This year he has established himself. Next year he may well go to another level again. I think Hipwood probably had his best season, maybe with more to come. Wilmott certainly developed and next year may well go to another level. Or he may not, the next step may take a while longer.

It is very easy to assume that a player is stuck at a level but coaches are working with them every week and they are working on themselves. Development is different for every player.

Some bloom early, and gradually improve in increments from there. Some jump to a new level and then seem to make little progress for a while, then jump again. Some players develop late and are then stars. Sadly some never develop enough at all.

If it was easy to pick how a player will develop, drafting would be the simplest thing to do and a 100% guarantee every time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back