Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a lot of 2022 and reid in this thread.

People forget that ted richards literally couldnt walk in 2012.

There will be a number of players playing injured (McInerney and Hayward looking at their knees, campbell, mcdonald and paley are all injured). McInerney was better this week but to my eyes was still hampered on the ground. The guy who was getting all the way from goal square to goal square wasnt there this week.

The real question is whether Mills is capable of running out the game and whether the next best option is better than what Millse can give carrying the injury. I thought in 2022 it was worth a shot because reid was structurally our most important player all year until they announced that mclean was to ruck for him. That should have been the signal that it wasnt worth it as it meant he wasnt going to be able to do the structural element necessary and horse shouldnt have played him. But who else was going to play on buddy in 2012 - LRT or Grundy. Neither would have worked. Ted gave his all even when noticeably hampered.

They'll have to make hard calls based on who else is available and what they can give you.
I agree. Too much commentary regarding Reid and the GF. That selection did not cause the pasting we received. We were cooked by the end of the game with Collingwood. The selection by coach and committee reveals as much. It was a hail mary move because it acknowledged that without Reid we could not win. If they select Mills, they will have their reasons but they are essentially saying that he is the best available, as they see it, compared to anyone not selected. I shall respect their judgment.

Given P3’s missed out, and even some P2’s missed out… and the positioning of the VERY expensive seats (we were Lvl 4 “middle” but we’re 27 rows back!) …. I say FXCK the AFL and their fxcking ticketing for grand finals!!!!! They don’t give a fxck about us die hard fans!! 👎👎

Having said that, I’m still very grateful I’ll be there on Saturday with my son 🤗😍

GO SWANSSSSSS!!!! 🔴⚪🔴⚪🔴⚪

Florent will be important, he has quietly in some ways had his best year and his last month has been very consistent imo.

Seems to be playing with full confidence, if he can impact with his evasion and run and get the ball it will be massive for us. Didn't have a turnover v Port, thats massive for him.

Florent will be important, he has quietly in some ways had his best year and his last month has been very consistent imo.

Seems to be playing with full confidence, if he can impact with his evasion and run and get the ball it will be massive for us. Didn't have a turnover v Port, thats massive for him.
Bro . Florent is shit.

Remember 6 weeks ago when he was basically a low rent Jack Watts?

I may have written that in sarcastica

Team defence will win this game imo. Obviously we need our star up and about but with the Lions front half game they’re lethal when up and about.

If we put in a defensive shit like we did against the dees in the 22’ QF I’m confident. Even last week was excellent, need to defend well as a back 6 and not panic at ground level.

In 2022 we fell over the line both physically and emotionally in the prelim.

Really can’t compare that to this year where we won easing down with plenty in the tank.

If anything, the Lions would have spent all their petrol tickets these past 2 weeks.

A lot is said about between the ears / mentality but the mind can’t make the body

Oh whatever.

What Rusty rustycrate just said!!!
They'll be banged up for sure. We basically played keepings off for most of the 2nd half of our prelim.

There is a lot of 2022 and reid in this thread.

People forget that ted richards literally couldnt walk in 2012.

There will be a number of players playing injured (McInerney and Hayward looking at their knees, campbell, mcdonald and paley are all injured). McInerney was better this week but to my eyes was still hampered on the ground. The guy who was getting all the way from goal square to goal square wasnt there this week.

The real question is whether Mills is capable of running out the game and whether the next best option is better than what Millse can give carrying the injury. I thought in 2022 it was worth a shot because reid was structurally our most important player all year until they announced that mclean was to ruck for him. That should have been the signal that it wasnt worth it as it meant he wasnt going to be able to do the structural element necessary and horse shouldnt have played him. But who else was going to play on buddy in 2012 - LRT or Grundy. Neither would have worked. Ted gave his all even when noticeably hampered.

They'll have to make hard calls based on who else is available and what they can give you.
Remind me how many marks Franklin got inside 50 in 2012? My rough memory is he had about 7 scoring shots but was inaccurate. I recall he had some clear opportunities to bury us but choked.

If Franklin kicked straight, even by his lowish standards at the time, would we look at the Richard selection as a smart one? I suspect not.

I have no recollection of what our depth was like then, but we have very strong depth now. No need to take any risk with Mills. Any question mark and he shouldn’t play.

Team selection:
save that they both turn up on mobility scooters, we know the coach will select C.Mills and J.McInerney.

I hope the club gets this right. Robbie Fox is a proven performer on the big stage.

And Brisbane is tall up forward.

Sportsbet might have us as favourites, but this GF is a genuine 50/50..

Remind me how many marks Franklin got inside 50 in 2012? My rough memory is he had about 7 scoring shots but was inaccurate. I recall he had some clear opportunities to bury us but choked.

If Franklin kicked straight, even by his lowish standards at the time, would we look at the Richard selection as a smart one? I suspect not.

I have no recollection of what our depth was like then, but we have very strong depth now. No need to take any risk with Mills. Any question mark and he shouldn’t play.

Everitt or Walsh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everitt or Walsh?
Let’s assume Franklin kicks 5.2 instead of 3.4 and we lose, then folk find out that Ted could barely walk before the game, and are discussing the result. I think the simplistic responses would have been that anyone would have been better than a hobling Ted. I don’t recall Walsh too well (was he one of the Irishman?) but I suspect my view would have been that we should have played smaller if our reserve KPD were not up to it.

That is not the point I was originally trying to make though. It was that pointing to times when we played injured players and got lucky is not a strong argument to play a shakey Mills in the upcoming GF.

I am clearly still rebuilding trust with Reid selection in 2022, but I really do hope Mills is declared fit, and is fit, because a fit Mills is an excellent addition to our team in a big final. I hope there is no debate on that. So maybe we just leave it at that until more info comes through?

Let’s assume Franklin kicks 5.2 instead of 3.4 and we lose, then folk find out that Ted could barely walk before the game, and are discussing the result. I think the simplistic responses would have been that anyone would have been better than a hobling Ted. I don’t recall Walsh too well (was he one of the Irishman?) but I suspect my view would have been that we should have played smaller if our reserve KPD were not up to it.

That is not the point I was originally trying to make though. It was that pointing to times when we played injured players and got lucky is not a strong argument to play a shakey Mills in the upcoming GF.

I am clearly still rebuilding trust with Reid selection in 2022, but I really do hope Mills is declared fit, and is fit, because a fit Mills is an excellent addition to our team in a big final. I hope there is no debate on that. So maybe we just leave it at that until more info comes through?

No its a good point, and Lappin played with broken ribs, Rioli rushed back post injury, Neale in a moon boot, no one goes in fully fit any grand final.

Reid 2022 was a clear ridiculous boo boo, The 2016 onea cop it here a bit, but thats OTT imo.

On 360 the coaches McRae & Hardwick have picked Brisbane.
On the Couch are very pro Brisbane.
Saying if Lions stop Heeney we can’t win.
Bizarre, isn’t it? It’s not as if Gulden, Warner, Papley, McInerney, Rampe,McCartin ……… don’t add something to the team. When Errol is tagged, the others step up. Someone will step up if necessary. Are they trying to be contrarian to add a bit of interest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back