Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been worried about matching up on Brisbane, they have answers for all of our key weapons and have the best recent record against us of any opponent. I'm watching the replay of our Brisbane match from august. The negatives, all before half time:
  • Rampe subbed out
  • Hayward limping
  • Papley limping off
(Rowwy and Jmac already out pre game)
  • Lmac misses a set shot from 40m out straight in front by kicking into the man on the mark
  • Blakey gifting two goals from direct turn overs
  • That Bullshit non- free to Blakey for tunnelling that directly lead to a Brisbane goal
  • overall some home ground umpiring but nothing too egregious except the above.
  • lots of up and under kicks that favour Brisbane defenders

But we still take a lead into half time.

If we can rectify half of this shit, and the injuries make up a fair chunk, I feel a lot better about our chances.

Positives from that first half;
  • McCartin marking everything under the sun
  • Blakey and Papley busting up some 2v1s
  • McDonald with a couple of spoils to cause turn overs
  • Gulden with some delicious passes into the f50
  • Daniher getting shut down after kicking 3 goals early

I would be really interested to see that.

At each end you have:
McCartin vs McDonald
Melican vs McLean when deep, otherwise Amartey
Rampe vs Hayward
Cunningham vs Papley
Blakey vs Jordon
Roberts vs Parker

And the mirror matches in the midfield? Boy that'd be something

Like Issac v Evil Mirror Universe Isaac?

IMG_1363.jpeg
IMG_0917.jpeg

Ok I am having trouble working this week 😅

I would be really interested to see that.

At each end you have:
McCartin vs McDonald
Melican vs McLean when deep, otherwise Amartey
Rampe vs Hayward
Cunningham vs Papley
Blakey vs Jordon
Roberts vs Parker

And the mirror matches in the midfield? Boy that'd be something
Oooooooh I like this game

I think McCartin probably beats McDonald in the air but then McCartin probably has some inexplicable brain fart and lets McDonald sneak out the back for a goal or two.

Melican & McLean probably spend the entire match arguing over which bloke's hair moves the least.

Rampe gives Hayward a bath. He's Sir Dane. He would give every single Swans player a bath.

Cunningham trumps Papley in the ultimate victory for the good guys. Then Papley probably kicks the matchwinner and carries on like a turkey and the media is like "who's Harry Cunningham?"

Jordon would wear Blakey like a glove and make him have lots of those silly mistakes that make him look like a goose in defensive 50, but Blakey would decide to just put the burners on and undo Jordon's hard work with about 4 disposals.

Parker would offer Roberts a pint at the reset after every goal, mistakenly thinking he's hanging out with Dan Hannebery at the 2012 premiership reunion.

You're right, the midfield battle would be enthralling. I think Heeney, Warner & Gulden would probably fight amongst themselves to the death to prove who is best, like a scene from Gladiator. Meanwhile in the bleachers, Rowbottom, the guy who could probably kill them all in about 15 seconds, would be smoking a doobie saying heyyy what's all this fightin about mann we're all bros

Oooooooh I like this game

I think McCartin probably beats McDonald in the air but then McCartin probably has some inexplicable brain fart and lets McDonald sneak out the back for a goal or two.

Melican & McLean probably spend the entire match arguing over which bloke's hair moves the least.

Rampe gives Hayward a bath. He's Sir Dane. He would give every single Swans player a bath.

Cunningham trumps Papley in the ultimate victory for the good guys. Then Papley probably kicks the matchwinner and carries on like a turkey and the media is like "who's Harry Cunningham?"

Jordon would wear Blakey like a glove and make him have lots of those silly mistakes that make him look like a goose in defensive 50, but Blakey would decide to just put the burners on and undo Jordon's hard work with about 4 disposals.

Parker would offer Roberts a pint at the reset after every goal, mistakenly thinking he's hanging out with Dan Hannebery at the 2012 premiership reunion.

You're right, the midfield battle would be enthralling. I think Heeney, Warner & Gulden would probably fight amongst themselves to the death to prove who is best, like a scene from Gladiator. Meanwhile in the bleachers, Rowbottom, the guy who could probably kill them all in about 15 seconds, would be smoking a doobie saying heyyy what's all this fightin about mann we're all bros

I could see Papley goal celebration targeting Campbell and getting into him.

The two Taylor Adams can sit and watch together at least.

I think McDonald would beat McCartin up the ground but McCartin would be better closer to goal. Outside of his regularly scheduled brain fart

Lot of talk of who we play on who to restrict them. The reality is the Lions would be stressing hardcore how they are going to control Heeney, Lizard, Gulden, Mcinerny, Warner, Hayward etc.
Our best players are better than their best. I firmly believe our bottom 6 are better than their bottom 6.
Grundy has the potential to be most influential on the ground here, he’s going to have a second stringer who he should destroy.
Get that good start and we win. We will be fresher and that counts.

Personally, I think the Grundy match up is being overplayed. Potentially is correct, it helps but it's not a given

Fort is not total junk and I also can't believe Neale and co aren't capable of reading an opponents tap. It's the midfield teamwork and communication that will decide if Grundy wins the ruck battle or not

G'day Swans fans,

Interesting reading through here, quiet confidence from most which i think is fair enough. I think the two sides are quite evenly matched, albeit with different weapons. Your biggest advantages are no Oscar and being fresh as a daisy. That could well be a big factor - i didn't think we would tire v Geelong as we had an easy week one of finals, but now it's been two big weeks. Weirdly our last quarter vs Geelong was extremely low on the pressure index - but there was a lot of sprinting and open play.

Match-ups i see us aiming for:

Starcevich to Heeney when he goes forward - nobody else is a chance of matching his combination of speed agility and aerial prowess.
Berry to Gulden - Gulden ran riot against us last time and seemed to be given a LOT of space. Expecting him to get some attention this time
Ah Chee to Blakey - don't think this will be a hard tag - Ah Chee will aim to go to him when he can but keep dangerous. Bit of russian roulette i guess.
Payne to McDondald
Lester to Amarey - Lester undersized here so this is a bit of a risk
Andrews to McLean - although swans might want someone different? Mclean nullified andrews well once or twice, i thought andrews was quite good in the last game this year on him though
Answerth to Papley - rugged defender who is some chance to not get ruffled by him haha

Do you imagine a hard tag on Zorko? And Neale? From memory Adams killed Neale last time. Maybe he is a selection bolter. I think Zorko got a fair bit of space?

Anyway promises to be a fascinating match. Very interested in the start - as much as we have had 2 good comebacks we wouldn't want to fall behind again vs a fresh swans side. Then there is the record of the two sides in first quarters - the swans have had quite a few slow starts. Whereas we have been piping hot since the bye - only losing one first quarter, although that was recently and badly vs GWS in the semi final.

I think the pre finals bye has helped teams playing the hard way get to the granny BUT winning it is still a step too far most of the time.

Here's to a cracking contest, although not sure i can handle another heartbreaker...

G'day Swans fans,

Interesting reading through here, quiet confidence from most which i think is fair enough. I think the two sides are quite evenly matched, albeit with different weapons. Your biggest advantages are no Oscar and being fresh as a daisy. That could well be a big factor - i didn't think we would tire v Geelong as we had an easy week one of finals, but now it's been two big weeks. Weirdly our last quarter vs Geelong was extremely low on the pressure index - but there was a lot of sprinting and open play.

Match-ups i see us aiming for:

Starcevich to Heeney when he goes forward - nobody else is a chance of matching his combination of speed agility and aerial prowess.
Berry to Gulden - Gulden ran riot against us last time and seemed to be given a LOT of space. Expecting him to get some attention this time
Ah Chee to Blakey - don't think this will be a hard tag - Ah Chee will aim to go to him when he can but keep dangerous. Bit of russian roulette i guess.
Payne to McDondald
Lester to Amarey - Lester undersized here so this is a bit of a risk
Andrews to McLean - although swans might want someone different? Mclean nullified andrews well once or twice, i thought andrews was quite good in the last game this year on him though
Answerth to Papley - rugged defender who is some chance to not get ruffled by him haha

Do you imagine a hard tag on Zorko? And Neale? From memory Adams killed Neale last time. Maybe he is a selection bolter. I think Zorko got a fair bit of space?

Anyway promises to be a fascinating match. Very interested in the start - as much as we have had 2 good comebacks we wouldn't want to fall behind again vs a fresh swans side. Then there is the record of the two sides in first quarters - the swans have had quite a few slow starts. Whereas we have been piping hot since the bye - only losing one first quarter, although that was recently and badly vs GWS in the semi final.

I think the pre finals bye has helped teams playing the hard way get to the granny BUT winning it is still a step too far most of the time.

Here's to a cracking contest, although not sure i can handle another heartbreaker...
That's the problem, neither of us can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d take our 6 all day. That’s just me.

Rayner is average, hes played a handful of good games in what 4 years? More?
Dunkley is average these days, Neale is a wonderful player Cameron and Daniher, absolutely not trusting them on grand final day.
Rayner is NOT average , he's like a younger Heeney with so much upside

It was as already strapped so must have been carrying it going in.

Then they got that box cuttery thing to take off the strapping so he could put into a bucket of ice
Many of the players strap their ankles for every training session and game.

Oscar McInerney is officially out(Lions injury list)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back