Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

STUART MAXFIELD !!!!!!!!!

IMG_7720.gif

I don't think so tbh, Rampe plays smaller and so Fox can replace him and you just play other smaller half backs, Rowbottom is replaced by Adams, Blakey is interesting but he is also like a medium type so could be the same type of replacement as i said above with Rampe. Heeney, Chad and Errol are the game changer top 5 players in the side and you replace them with like Adams, Cleary, Parker on ball. You just loose all the speed in the TO transition which has been crucial to the way the Swans play
Game changers aren't necessarily your most important though.

Heeney, Warner & Gulden only get away with what they do because they have the best pressure player in the competition doing the work for them to feast on. Adams is not close to that player.

Heeney, Warner & Gulden haven't been able to do much in every game where Rampe has been out and we have looked like an absolute basket case in defence. Fox does not offer that same organisation.

Game changers aren't necessarily your most important though.

Heeney, Warner & Gulden only get away with what they do because they have the best pressure player in the competition doing the work for them to feast on. Adams is not close to that player.

Heeney, Warner & Gulden haven't been able to do much in every game where Rampe has been out and we have looked like an absolute basket case in defence. Fox does not offer that same organisation.
I think that is a basic oversimplification of Rampe being out. Rampe was still in the side for 4 of the 6 losses this year. Rampe being out also coincided with a mass of injuries in the backline, Melican was out. So yes Rampe is important but he isn't as important as the midfield

I think that is a basic oversimplification of Rampe being out. Rampe was still in the side for 4 of the 6 losses this year. Rampe being out also coincided with a mass of injuries in the backline, Melican was out. So yes Rampe is important but he isn't as important as the midfield
But if we're talking about irreplaceability then he is. The structure and organisation and leadership he brings to our back-line, we look lost without. Meanwhile we have had plenty of great wins without Heeney, Warner, Gulden having big games. Our record without Warner is actually quite stellar (not saying we drop him lol)

Surely Fox has another year or two in him with how fit he is. Best runner at the club surely means something
I love Robbie and think he’s highly underrated but this is also why I think Horse might see him as a depth option only moving forward. He won’t struggle for fitness over the next couple of years but he might miss out on opportunity after this week as the side looks to rejuvenate the side over the next couple of years. As it stands, there’s already a huge logjam for spots with Mills, Adams, Wicks, Cleary and Sheldrick all capable of playing a role in the side.

I'm playing Fox, he can go on Rayner or defensive forward on any one of Andrews, Zorko, Starcevich, Lester or Wilmot.

Personally I'd put him in defence, was near BOG against the Lions this year down back / off half back. 26 disp, 10 marks, 6 intercepts, 4 tackles.

But he also did well as a defensive forward earlier in the year, especially important if we send JJ to a mid. More pace than Parker who should be close to goal.

Then depends on Campbell's groin and whether we think it can hold up to a full game. Tbh if we don't then I'd consider Cleary as sub instead. You don't want to cop an injury to a quick running type early on and have Braeden struggling in the 2nd half.

Parker got among the goals in the last 3 before finals but quiet against the better intercepting Giants, so would want him to take an Andrews or Lester to the goalsquare and body them constantly (as with his role against Port). Probably gets a few more CBAs this time.

Anyway, since Fox for Campbell certainly doesn't impact our speed/pressure, I'd settle on:

Fox back
Parker fwd
Campbell sub (or Cleary if groin is a risk)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Grand Final 2024 - Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back