Hawk Supporters Most Despised Rival?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mojo

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's probably been talked about before so I'm sorry if I'm bringing this topic up again!

Because I was born in 1987, I constantly hear how many old folks ;) or the ppl old enough to appreciate the golden years at Hawthorn despise Geelong.

My mum, who I must thank for bullying my dad, so she could raise my brother, sister and I as Hawthorn supporters rather than Essendon, reiterates how much she detests Geelong and their supporters everytime a Geelong game arises. All because of the famous 89' GF, where a number of Hawks players were harshly delt with from particular Geelong opposition. Yates (cough)!

Although I appreciate my mum choosing, well.. forcing us to barrack for Hawthorn, my brother and I make a concious point to be out of the house or at least out of the room when a Hawks interstate game is on the tv. The worst move possible is to watch the game with her, unless you enjoy a temporary loss of hearing and to watch a border line disgusting bias towards our Hawks almost ruin the game. Particularly against Geelong!

You guys might know her at the footy.

Annnnnywho.. :)

What do the rest our supporters find to be 'our' most despised rival team?

i was brought up hating west coast. i dont know why, but my dad hated them more than just about anyone. my dad also used to say he was an 'ABC' supporter (anybody but collingwood).
but for some reason i never really got into the essendon rivalry. living in the western suburbs i know a lot of bombers, and never really had a problem with them, until about 2001. september time i think it was. something about this goldspink character.

i was brought up hating west coast. i dont know why, but my dad hated them more than just about anyone. my dad also used to say he was an 'ABC' supporter (anybody but collingwood).
but for some reason i never really got into the essendon rivalry. living in the western suburbs i know a lot of bombers, and never really had a problem with them, until about 2001. september time i think it was. something about this goldspink character.

haha.. bloody umpire! That semi final was given to Essendon by the umpires in the first half. We should have been in the GF! :mad:

Nothing I enjoy more then beating Essendon, not just because of the traditional rivalry, but Essendon have tried to physically intemidate Hawthorn and every other team for the past 10 or so years. The problem with Essendon now is the physical intemidation doesnt mean a thing if you can not win a game.

I think after the famous line in the sand brawl, we face less intemidation then ever and I personally think we are one of the more physical team in the league when it comes to flying the flag, and supporting team mates.

The team enjoy beating the most would be essendon!due to witnessing the 80"s battles!
Team i despise the most would be carlton!just purley for their arrogance and disdain in which they treated us when we became co tenants with them!Their supporters smacked of disrespect to the brown and gold!
Think weve got a good rivalry with the cats!Lethal/bruns incident!
89 Grand final and the many close games we had with them in the 90"s was unbelievable actually!!

My dad seems to have a hatered for both Essendon and the roos. Essendon because we lost to them twice in a row in the grand final during the eighties and north because they won there first premiership against us in the mid 70s when they bought the premiership by buying the best players from all around Australia.

Definitely Geelong.

Probably had something to do with growing up there... Having to read the advertiser week after week. God it was great when we kicked their asses and I could rub it in to all my mates...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a thread on this not long ago. I think you will find Essendon and Collingwood figured highly.

Collingwood? I'm 30 years old and never really come across a Hawthorn supporter who considers Collingwood a despised rival.

Geelong for family reasons.

Essendon for some many reasons that I could start a new thread. Essendon supporters are by far the biggest knobs!

The 2001 Prelim just sealed it for me.

essendon... hated them since i came to aus (in 99). alot of people my age follow them, because they all chose their team around grade 3/4 (1999/2000) and its good now to beat them every time we play them

Equal1st - Ess, Coll, Rich, Carl.
Equal2nd- Geel, Eagles, Crows.
Tolerate the Lions, Swans, Power(respect their history, Demons(nothin to worry about there), Saints, Dockers.
Irrelevant - Roos - A good friends recently departed father was famed for having said, "ïf they were playin over the road you'd get up and pull the blind down!"
Like the Dogs ever since Wallace and Libba left and because I live down the road from them.

Because i know plenty of thier supporters who annoy me i rate collingwood highly but u my most hated side in the league is the one whom we play and i get to watch us play this weekend. Port Power. There are a few reasons why i dislike this side so much but none more than there arogant, sooky coach 'choco'. He annoys me more than anyone in the afl by far!

Is this a trick question?

although we dont really have a traditional rival, mainly because we were so poor in our first thirty years, our modern-day rival would have to be the scum

daylight second

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawk Supporters Most Despised Rival?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back