Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
100%. There’s no way we get more than a late token pick. He’s a 31 unrestricted free agent so it will all be minimum fuss.

Correct - after what Jack had given this club and has been through of late we aren’t going to be dicks if he chooses to go to Brissy. We’ll cop some random late pick and cut our losses. Brisbane have way too much on their plate to be charitable and give us a usable pick for a FA.

Okay - so how does them getting more picks help us get a good deal out of Gunston which was the original point raised? If he goes there they’ll flick us a worthless pick to not harm the McStay compo and that’ll be it. There’s no real way I see that we get good draft capital if Gunston goes to Brisbane.
Why would we accept a worthless pick? We then may as well let them take him as a FA and screw up their compo. You’d think their compo pick will be end of 2nd or so for mcstay. A pick between that and worthless (3rd rounder / late 3rd rounder) seems most likely to make sense for all parties.

Okay - so how does them getting more picks help us get a good deal out of Gunston which was the original point raised? If he goes there they’ll flick us a worthless pick to not harm the McStay compo and that’ll be it. There’s no real way I see that we get good draft capital if Gunston goes to Brisbane.
There's no reason to trade unless it has an actual benefit to us while that wont be a great pick it wont be useless

There's no reason to trade unless it has an actual benefit to us while that wont be a great pick it wont be useless

Yes but people are acting as though the Lions are going to be giving us a second round pick - it’s not going to happen. It’ll be a 4th round pick if we are lucky.

If I'm Collingwood, I would be trying very hard to persuade Gunston to come over, McStay is a plonker

If this eventuated could we bundle something up with Mitchell, Grundy, Henry or something???

Why would we accept a worthless pick? We then may as well let them take him as a FA and screw up their compo. You’d think their compo pick will be end of 2nd or so for mcstay. A pick between that and worthless (3rd rounder / late 3rd rounder) seems most likely to make sense for all parties.

Because he’s a free agent who’d only be doing a trade so Brisbane don’t ruin their McStay compensation pick which they’ll need for an Ashcroft bid. Conventional wisdom I’ve seen on here is that the McStay pick would be end of first round. Based on their present picks they’ll basically need them all to bid on Ashcroft at 1 and Fletcher if he goes around 30. As such - they won’t be splashing out on Gunston.

Gunston has given the club enough - we’re not going to be dicks about a trade for him. I’d be disappointed if we are - he’s a 31 year old free agent not a young prospect.

If we start dicking around at the trade table and go all Dodoro for a 31 UFA who has given us his absolute best years to us, then wed be just stuffing Jack around then and he’d be within his rights to walk to any of the 12 other clubs who’d take him.

Have a look at the token pick exchanges for UFAs in previous seasons. All junk change.

Statistically below average from his 23 games, where does he improve and how does he improve us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would have killed a lot of careers if you’re going off stats for a 23 game player who is playing out of position and struggling for a consistent run at it in a top 4 side!

Should we right off DGB now then as statistically he is below average?

Anyone who has watched Brisbane matches can see the kid has talent. Inside mid which is exactly what we’re crying out for.

Would be a better option than pick 60 odd which is the other option that we can get from the Lions

If we start dicking around at the trade table and go all Dodoro for a 31 UFA who has given us his absolute best years to us, then wed be just stuffing Jack around then and he’d be within his rights to walk to any of the 12 other clubs who’d take him.

Have a look at the token pick exchanges for UFAs in previous seasons. All junk change.

Plus a tall forward is surplus to Brisbane’s requirements. If we played hardball they’d probably just walk, and rightfully so. If they really want Fletcher and Ashcroft then that’s where the focus will be.

You would have killed a lot of careers if you’re going off stats for a 23 game player who is playing out of position and struggling for a consistent run at it in a top 4 side!

Should we right off DGB now then as statistically he is below average?

Anyone who has watched Brisbane matches can see the kid has talent. Inside mid which is exactly what we’re crying out for.

Would be a better option than pick 60 odd which is the other option that we can get from the Lions

I was just stating the facts, you didn’t answer the question.

If he has the talent then he won’t be going anywhere then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That wasn’t the original post. It was said Brisbane would be hard to deal with.
No they won’t. They need the points.
Has nothing to do with Gunston.
All their picks don’t even equate to landing Ashcroft without going in to deficit (that doesn’t even take Fletcher in to account).
Brisbane would be mad not to deal with a GC or us if we could bring a few picks in that help them get the points.

Last edited:
That wasn’t the original post. It was said Brisbane would be hard to deal with.
No they won’t. They need the points.
Has nothing to do with Gunston.
All their picks don’t even equate to landing Ashcroft without going in to deficit (that doesn’t even take Fletcher in to account).
Brisbane would be mad not to deal with a GC or us if we could bring a few picks in that help them get the points.

This is the original conversation you got yourself involved in - it was only about Gunston and what Brisbane would give us for him. Not sure how you got lost along the way.

C2060401-EA41-437D-B7BF-CC74C0B4E4CE.jpeg

Any chance we could swap Gunston for Dev Robertson?

He has only played 21 games and isn’t a lock in their best 22. Looks very solid as a defensive midfielder…..I’d expect his attacking game will come with more game time.
Have you watched the game tonight? I reckon he would be the worst kick in the comp, his ball drop makes jack Fitzpatricks look like Lindsay Gilbees

Because he’s a free agent who’d only be doing a trade so Brisbane don’t ruin their McStay compensation pick which they’ll need for an Ashcroft bid. Conventional wisdom I’ve seen on here is that the McStay pick would be end of first round. Based on their present picks they’ll basically need them all to bid on Ashcroft at 1 and Fletcher if he goes around 30. As such - they won’t be splashing out on Gunston.

Gunston has given the club enough - we’re not going to be dicks about a trade for him. I’d be disappointed if we are - he’s a 31 year old free agent not a young prospect.
I don’t agree with this at all. If Gunston wants to go to the Loins then like you said he’s a free agent and he should go with the clubs blessing. If the Loins want to do a trade to not stuff up there compo pick for Mcstay then that is on the Loins not Gunston and should pay market value.

Trading with the Loins for a token pick for Gunston is doing them a favour not Gunston!

I don’t agree with this at all. If Gunston wants to go to the Loins then like you said he’s a free agent and he should go with the clubs blessing. If the Loins want to do a trade to not stuff up there compo pick for Mcstay then that is on the Loins not Gunston and should pay market value.

Trading with the Loins for a token pick for Gunston is doing them a favour not Gunston!

That’s not how free agency has been working - teams aren’t dicks about it.

Just curious what the team logo is for the Brisbane Loins? Sounds saucy.

That’s not how free agency has been working - teams aren’t dicks about it.

Just curious what the team logo is for the Brisbane Loins? Sounds saucy.
Good pick up “Loins” . But can you give me some examples of free agency moves that clubs haven’t been “dicks” about it? And by that I mean have excepted a token pick for a free agent.

Last edited:
Lions have likely have 2 F/S picks to bid on. Ashcroft likely to be tried in the first few picks, Fletcher possibly inside the top 30. Brisbane would not be great to trade with as they will likely be using the majority of their picks to stave off bids on Ashcroft and Fletcher.
I read this and still think you’re wrong on the above.
Why would Brisbane not be great to deal with?
They need points.
You could even add Gunston along with a bunch of picks that help them get their father sons.
They go in to deficit if they don’t. So yeah my point still stands none of what you’ve said makes any sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back