Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
Hypothetical time :cool:
Start with Picks 6, 24, 50
In: Flanders, 33
Out: 24, 50
In: Henry, 48
Out: Mitchell, 33
In: 2, 26
Out: 6, DGB
In: Bruhn
Out: F2nd
Finish with Picks 2, 26, 48
In: Flanders, Henry, Bruhn + Amon
Out: Mitchell, DGB, F2nd
would actually prefer Duursma or Bergman to Bruhn - while we mid mids we also need some goal scoring forwards at some point

Trying not to get my hopes up re Bruhn or Pick 2

There's always talk about teams trading down from the top of the draft but I can't remember a team splitting a top 5 pick in recent years.

We could be busy this trade period but I could easily see us just trade out Mitchell for a 2nd/3rd rounder, sign Amon and go to the draft and that wouldn't be the worst thing.

I feel a lot of people on here are hoping to get Bruhn just for the sake of having a player nominate Hawthorn.
The truth is, this kid won’t thrust us into finals, he probably won’t make us a better side at all. He hasn’t shown anything to think he’ll be an A grader or a star of the AFL.
I don’t get the hype around getting a former pick 12 who’s”being played out of position “, if he was good enough he would be playing in his preferred position.
If he nominates Hawks I hope he’ll become a solid citizen but I’m more than happy taking our draft pick to the draft.
The thing is, with the midfield GWS has they aren't going to give him a huge amount of time in there so the out of position call still stands.
I actually think he would be a great pickup he has good skills on both sides of his body, loves a tackle and wins clearances when he does play midfield.
I'm confident he will be an absolute gun.

Whilst I hope he stays I’d say because of the depth we have in defence and lack thereof in the middle.
Both your options don’t take in to account that nobodies a bust and that’s why it would be a potential win win for both clubs.
By your logic we’d never have traded Croad and ended with Hodge.
No all i am saying is that the risk vs reward makes no sense...for every hodge there is a patty McCartin, Scott gumbleton and harley Bennell..

All im saying build on what we have rather than go chasing something that might be...you might end up taking 3 steps back...

No.

That was Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin for pick 1 and 20(I think).

We still kept our first rounder (pick 16 for the awesome Rick Ladson)

The equivalence here is DGB and Brockmann for pick 2 or maybe pick 6 and Brockman for 2 - which actually makes sense as the Weagels get a replacement for Rioli who they wanted AND a shot at the best WA Talent - the continually seen proposal of DGB+Brockman+pick 6 is a sizeable overvalue for a pick which is for the third best player in the draft - back in 2001 we gave up a super talented player and got back the top pick in what was universally regarded than (and probably now) as the best draft group ever
I’ll say it again as I replied to someone.
The example I”m using is trading a known quantity players for draft picks.
We traded Croad and co for draft picks.
It was a win for us and an example that the original poster had us in a no win position.

I’ll say it again as I replied to someone.
The example I”m using is trading a known quantity players for draft picks.
We traded Croad and co for draft picks.
It was a win for us and an example that the original poster had us in a no win position.
Yeah but you'll find that we were extremely lucky in that draft....just because you lucked out once doesn't mean you keep doing it?

Christ, they can't be everyone's likely landing spot
At some point the AFL should step in. Particularly if they win the flag and netting more players to help them maintain their standing the next few years. It's not really equalisation if every player out of contract or at least 70-80 per cent want to go to Geelong. Clubs need to start blowing them out of the water with offers IMO or it will keep happening and it's not really what this period should be about.

No all i am saying is that the risk vs reward makes no sense...for every hodge there is a patty McCartin, Scott gumbleton and harley Bennell..

All im saying build on what we have rather than go chasing something that might be...you might end up taking 3 steps back... Yeah but you'll find that we were extremely lucky in that draft....just because you lucked out once doesn't mean you keep doing it?
I don’t follow most of your points.
Hawthorn recruited DGB.
IF they decided to trade him they’d still be the ones selecting the draft pick coming in.
By your logic you build on what you’ve got but they’re the ones building it.
You lucked out once? Aren’t you saying you want to build on the kids like DGB that they selected.
I really don’t follow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think people are keen on it but are merely saying it’s plausible with the WA connection and a way to get pick 2 in the Hypothetical Trades thread.
People are getting hung up on what it means for DGB.

It’s not about DGB, as rude as that is, it’s about getting a midfield talent will give us a massive boost where we need it most.

It's not the obvious implication, in fact the second sentence saying that the cats will push hard implies the opposite. Why would they need to push hard if they're the preference?
Hopper is their 1st choice and 1st preference. People need to read between the lines here. Bruhn would know this too. He will be used as leftovers if they don't nab Hopper. Wheraeas we have made him a target and a reasonably fair offer and incentive under the circumstances. He is pretty much over the line unless the Cats dangle a too good to refuse offer which I find unlikely.

Hopper is their 1st choice and 1st preference. People need to read between the lines here. Bruhn would know this too. He will be used as leftovers if they don't nab Hopper. Wheraeas we have made him a target and a reasonably fair offer and incentive under the circumstances. He is pretty much over the line unless the Cats dangle a too good to refuse offer which I find unlikely.
I don’t buy this for a second

There is no way clubs would say to a player, “We’re chasing player x hard, but if that falls through we‘ll give you a call”

They would be saying “We are after you, player x , player y and so on, and we are hopeful of landing all of you”

3. he’s a bust / can get a better player by cashing in while his value is still high? Don’t think you thought these options through.
A bust???

Are you saying he's a bust, or just that it should have been a legitimate option?

I have been a big fan of chasing Bruhn but he is also not at all worth stressing over, he is not a make or break player for this rebuild.

He is a good option as a low cost player that could hopefully fulfil his potential. He is not at all someone that i recommend losing sleep over.

If we land him, nice.

If he chooses someone else, eh.

There is no way clubs would say to a player, “We’re chasing player x hard, but if that falls through we‘ll give you a call”

They would be saying “We are after you, player x , player y and so on, and we are hopeful of landing all of you”
If you believe that than I can't help you.

I remember a couple of years back we were chasing Coniglio we were chasing Shiel we landed neither it wasn’t a tragedy we moved on I’d much rather see Jai in our midfield now than either of them anyway . He’s been a huge win that if we landed either of those guys we probably never would’ve had . Bruhn is the same a good young player still with a great deal of potential but if we miss out no big deal something else will come up .

Players can gauge interest they know where they sit in priority

Bruhn wants to play midfield, Hawthorn this year pushed Mitchell and O'merea out to give our young players those midfield minutes this is the biggest draw for Bruhn

If all goes awol for us in the trade period, happy to trade players out for draft picks.

DGB & Brockman, plus Mitchell comp for pick #2..

Leaves us #2, #6 and #24
Can you please get any thought that the Eagles will trade out of the top 10 out of your head.

They’re only going to let go of 2 for a pick slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back