Preview Hawks vs Pies - Discussion and changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't know why we seem to be so inadequate in the use of handball when trying to clear the FLOODS imposed by sides like the cats and swans.

You only need to see sides like the pies and they will use handball to run and carry and break through congestion. They do this against the cats and swans every time.

Even the lower level sides seem to be able to use handball better than us, does anyone else see this?

Ceglar is a better option than Lowden, even with a 2 posession game, that's how far off senior footy Lowden is
Mate Ceglar is never going to be anything more than a good VFL ruckman and a average AFL ruckman at best, hence I would not be wasting my time playing him before Grimley and Lowden when the opportunity arises.
I would keep him in the VFL purely as depth, but he should not get in the way of Grimley or Lowden in the next year or two.

In: Bailey, Buddy and, Shiels

Out: Grimley, Gunston and Simpkin

FF: Puopolo - Roughead - Rioli
HF: Franklin - Spangher - Breust
Ce: Savage - Mitchell - Smith
HB: Duryea - Gibson - Burgoyne
FB: Guerra - Lake - Stratton

Ru: Bailey
RR: Lewis
Ro: Sewell

I/C: Hale, Hill, Whitecross + Shiels

Emerg: Simpkin, Cheney and Anderson

Mate Ceglar is never going to be anything more than a good VFL ruckman and a average AFL ruckman at best, hence I would not be wasting my time playing him before Grimley and Lowden when the opportunity arises.
I would keep him in the VFL purely as depth, but he should not get in the way of Grimley or Lowden in the next year or two.
Yet he was upgraded from the rookie list and has played 2 games while Lowden has been on the senior list for 4? Years!
I'm just saying I think it's obvious how far off senior games Lowden is, and it seems to be confirmed by HFC

Would it be throwing the kid to the wolves to bring in Anderson? He's had good form at Box Hill and I strongly feel that we need outside run against the Pies to give our fwds as much possible. The Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Sewell quartet strikes me as being too flat footed for Swan, Pendlebury and Beams.

Would it be throwing the kid to the wolves to bring in Anderson? He's had good form at Box Hill and I strongly feel that we need outside run against the Pies to give our fwds as much possible. The Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Sewell quartet strikes me as being too flat footed for Swan, Pendlebury and Beams.

He had mroe tackles than touches for BHH last weekend.

Impressive on the tackle front, but for mine, needs to be finding more of the pill as a mid to demand a spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We recruited Brian Lake to play on the big key forwards like Hawkins, Cloke and Tippett. So far Lake has beaten Hawkins and this week is another huge test against a quality forward in Cloke. This could be the most pivotal dual on the Night. Just how much an influence both players have could be a decisive factor in the outcome of the game. The last two times we have played Collingwood Cloke has kicked 11.4. Stopping him will be on of the keys to winning this game.

In: Bailey, Buddy and, Shiels

Out: Grimley, Gunston and Simpkin

FF: Puopolo - Roughead - Rioli
HF: Franklin - Spangher - Breust
Ce: Savage - Mitchell - Smith
HB: Duryea - Gibson - Burgoyne
FB: Guerra - Lake - Stratton

Ru: Bailey
RR: Lewis
Ro: Sewell

I/C: Hale, Hill, Whitecross + Shiels

Emerg: Simpkin, Cheney and Anderson

Where is ....

birchall-story.jpg

Gunston is fine as far as any of us know. I reckon he will play. I would like to see Anderson either this week or next as well. I still think that our fast and accurate ball movement is more important than the pace of the players, but we do benefit from having quicker players out there.

Birch has trained fully the past 2 weeks

Yes but he's down on match fitness.

Too big a game to bring him back into IMO. He'll blow up after a half and playing him as a sub would be silly as he needs match conditioning.

One week at Box Hill then back for the North game, for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back