Preview Hawks vs West Coast - Changes and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as Lewis has been in the negating roles, I'd prefer Sewell gets them these days. Lewis just offers so much more than Sewell going forward that I don't want him wasted.

Maybe not on this board, but I still think Lewis is massively underrated as a footballer & most people definitely haven't 'cottoned on' to how important his delivery inside 50m is for us.

I still think people are of the mindset that he is a '2nd stringer' behind our 1st's in Hodge, Mitchell & Sewell; without realising that he plays a completely different game altogether.

Thats how I see it anyway.

Maybe not on this board, but I still think Lewis is massively underrated as a footballer & most people definitely haven't 'cottoned on' to how important his delivery inside 50m is for us.

I still think people are of the mindset that he is a '2nd stringer' behind our 1st's in Hodge, Mitchell & Sewell; without realising that he plays a completely different game altogether.

Not underated by me, Lewis is a gun and in my elite group at Hawthorn.
Has a great kick, good by hand, couragous , tackles, a hard nut.
He is massively important to us.

Don't think they will have pup, hodge and hill as the three ins. Two returning from injury (with no box hill run for fitness) and a first gamer would take our team backwards from last week.

Denis Cometti and other Ch7 commentators stated "Lewis had become an A grader during 2011" and is playing to that standard in 2012.

I don't think many astute observers underrate Lewis If the Ch 7 nuffies don't!

Yep, one of my mates (who is a Hawk) says on Sunday ..."why don't we play Lewis up forward more. He doesn't get enough footy in the middle but seems to know where the goals are these days".....:rolleyes:

Watches every game too but obviously doesn't 'see' much. Mind you, he is one of those Lewis haters (free kicks, 50s blah blah blah) so gives no credit for the good but is ready to dish out the criticism on the bad.

I cant see Pup playing as he hasnt played for a number of weeks and that includes Box Hill. When he has games under his belt he is best 22, but without games he would be to much of a risk on such a big ground.

Needs 1 to 2 weeks at box hill before been considered. (He is not in the "Champion" class where you would slot him straight back)

Happy to watch Hill develop a little more at BH.
I suspect they'll ease him in against a team like GWS.

When he does make his debut he needs to have worked hard and earned it rather than just handing it to him on a plate.
Whilst there's no doubt he's an exciting prospect I'm not sure he's done enough to replace the encumbents just yet.

Given Clarko's conservative approach to multiple changes after a win, I suspect it will just be Hodge for Breust.

Last time we played West Coast, our 3 tall backs were...

Birchall 193
Gilham 192
Gibson 189

This time (assuming Birch plays) we will have..

Shoey 193
Birchall 193
Gibson 189
Stratton 189

No need for Boumann imo.

Agreed we looked too slow with Boumann in defence with all our other talls. I cant see him getting a game without one of the listed above being injured or dropped due to form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree only on one Change. Breust for Hill

Do you think the Coaching staff are looking at the big picture and thinking :
Subiaco too Big and Hard for Hodgey and Puopolo right at the moment ?
Give a couple of guys another week rest .. or in Young's case another chance to find form.

"If we drop this one , we are still 2 and 2 . Having already played Geelong , Collingwood and West Coast ( The other 3 top 4 from 2011 ).. the next ?? weeks looks a lot easier !!

Shoenmakers really really worries me !!

Kennedy will be too good for him
Lynch will monster him
Cox / NicNat too tall .

Darling is his best match up ... but that still worries me .

I'd go Stratton on Kennedy
Gibo on Lynch
Hale to put a TAG on Cox !! ( Sounds Terrible !)
Roughy on NicNat - all Day
Play a small forward line !!

Now I have NEVER said a bad word about Schoey in the past and do not want to be another one of his knockers, but honestly I am cringing a little at the thought of him this week playing on Kennedy/Lynch/Darling/Cox this week and getting mauled. It pains me to say it but I think this is the one game where our defence will get absolutely mauled, and I think Roughead playing back for a portion of the game this week (McCauley in to ruck) would not be a stupid move.

Having said that, I think our midfield should walk all over theirs, especially if they have some key outs.

IN: Hodge, McCauley, Pup (if avail),

OUT: Breust (conc), Young, ?????

Side note, is Smith likely to be back soon....?

This game will be won in the middle. If our midfield can limit their supply into the forward line, we will win! If we get smashed in the middle, our defense will be under immense pressure...

Last time we played West Coast, our 3 tall backs were...

Birchall 193
Gilham 192
Gibson 189

This time (assuming Birch plays) we will have..

Shoey 193
Birchall 193
Gibson 189
Stratton 189

No need for Boumann imo.

I agree with Hj.

Everyone seems to be completely focussing on the marking power of the Eagles, and not the mopping up and rebound abilities of our defenders. If we can put pressure upfield, we have the spoilers to keep the Weagle forwards from taking too many marks and the rebounding power to put huge pressure on their defence.

As with most games, this game will be won in the middle and the pressure placed there to ensure there is no silver service

Interesting how so many of us here worry about the Weagles tall forward line, and yet also get nervous about us going in too tall up forward if we play Buddy, Hale, Ruff, BMac and Gunston....

Also interesting to see how the Eagles will go against a top team - they have got off to a great start with 3-0 and 200%+, but really, against the teams they have played so far this would be expected. They got done in the NAB Cup final by Adelaide who we have just comfortably disposed of...

Can't wait to see how we go on Saturday...think we might get home in a close one.:)

Had a chat to Max at half time in the Frank Grey bar yesterday - 'coming along okay, still a few weeks away' is all he'd say.

Such a ripping guy, has one of those ridiculously deep voices. His wrist only had light strapping on it.

EDIT: and no, he wasn't drinking.

Thanks LP :thumbsu:

Re: huge game in perth

no guys i ready told u all last week that im a north fan who has put a large sum of money at centrebet.com on the hawks to win the minor premiership.

so i am seriosuly supporting the hawks ( yes for money ) this season i hope you guys dont mind but ive got a good footy brain and would liek to discuss the hawks with you all this season.

Are you real life?

I wonder if we tag Gaff. Yup, he's capable of 30 possessions again, and his run will be important to them now that Embley is out. Bateman on Gaff?

Can't wait for this match up. Stepdad and 3 brothers are Hawk fans.

The beers will flow and someone will get hurt........

What a ripper for Saturday night.

Can't wait for this match up. Stepdad and 3 brothers are Hawk fans.

The beers will flow and someone will get hurt........

What a ripper for Saturday night.

Roll up a tea towel and bite hard. It's better than screaming........;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back