• Yes

Votes: 300 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Bring back the pelican

Votes: 23 6.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. Just find it great that you blokes sold the farm and show no respect to one of your greats.

Sold everything to get a bloke with basically one leg. Makes me laugh.
Fair enough if it takes your mind of one of your greats needling the clubs and his brand down the river.

PS hope the Saints do well with the pick

In our defence, the pick we gave you hasnt played any games yet. So JOM is current 4 games ahead of our 2017 1st round...

So Ben Long just chalked up game number 3 for the year vs Jaegers 4.

When's jaeger due for his next setback... i mean game?

Benny odds on favourite to get to 50 games before jaeger too at this point

...and with Battle and Long both playing this week:
The steaknives go past jaeger 5 games to 4.

Without even bringing next years top 10 pick into the equation yet of course.

Josh Battle should get to 50 games by 2020 at this rate.
Can jaeger play 2 games by 2020?
Gonna be tight.

...and with Battle and Long both playing this week:
The steaknives go past jaeger 5 games to 4.

Without even bringing next years top 10 pick into the equation yet of course.

Josh Battle should get to 50 games by 2020 at this rate.
Can jaeger play 2 games by 2020?
Gonna be tight.
I don't understand the mentality of football fans who compare trades in this way and make out it's some competition to see who "won" the trade. (Is this what fans do when their club hasn't won anything?)

The last time I saw this stuff was when Saints fans were bragging how they skinned Hawthorn over the Ben McEvoy trade. Hell, maybe they did. Shane Savage + pick 18 (Luke Dunstan) seemed like a hefty price for a serviceable 200cm ruckman who had a bad back. I'm not really sure who "won" that trade. I couldn't really tell you how Savage and Dunstan have been for St Kilda. All I know is that Hawthorn was desperate to replace the retiring Max Bailey after the 2013 premiership season. Big Boy didn't exactly set the world on fire, but he was more than serviceable in the 2014 and 2015 Grand Finals and has enjoyed a fine season in 2017. Is that a "win" ? I dunno??? It worked for us...

The fact is Hawthorn wanted O'Meara and he wanted to come to our club. It was Gold Coast who drove a hard bargain. St Kilda did very well by inserting themselves in the deal as a 3rd party to facilitate the move of O'Meara to Hawthorn. He was never going to St Kilda. So any pissing contest over who "won" the trade is between Gold Coast and Hawthorn.

Congratulations on securing Ben Long and Josh battle and best of luck with whoever you choose with our 1st round pick in the 2017 draft. I will watch their careers with interest, if only to see what might've been if we'd kept our draft picks and chosen those boys instead of O'Meara. But truth be told, it's highly unlikely we would've selected the same players anyway. Long, Battle and [Player X] were your recruiting targets. Not ours. Even if we did draft them, who's to say they would be the same players in our system with our development coaches? Players aren't machines. Most AFL players seem to perform better (or worse) under different coaches.

I don't understand the mentality of football fans who compare trades in this way and make out it's some competition to see who "won" the trade. (Is this what fans do when their club hasn't won anything?)

The last time I saw this stuff was when Saints fans were bragging how they skinned Hawthorn over the Ben McEvoy trade. Hell, maybe they did. Shane Savage + pick 18 (Luke Dunstan) seemed like a hefty price for a serviceable 200cm ruckman who had a bad back. I'm not really sure who "won" that trade. I couldn't really tell you how Savage and Dunstan have been for St Kilda. All I know is that Hawthorn was desperate to replace the retiring Max Bailey after the 2013 premiership season. Big Boy didn't exactly set the world on fire, but he was more than serviceable in the 2014 and 2015 Grand Finals and has enjoyed a fine season in 2017. Is that a "win" ? I dunno??? It worked for us...

The fact is Hawthorn wanted O'Meara and he wanted to come to our club. It was Gold Coast who drove a hard bargain. St Kilda did very well by inserting themselves in the deal as a 3rd party to facilitate the move of O'Meara to Hawthorn. He was never going to St Kilda. So any pissing contest over who "won" the trade is between Gold Coast and Hawthorn.

Congratulations on securing Ben Long and Josh battle and best of luck with whoever you choose with our 1st round pick in the 2017 draft. I will watch their careers with interest, if only to see what might've been if we'd kept our draft picks and chosen those boys instead of O'Meara. But truth be told, it's highly unlikely we would've selected the same players anyway. Long, Battle and [Player X] were your recruiting targets. Not ours. And even id we did draft them, who's to say they would be the same players in our system with our development coaches?
Sounds a bit like you have no idea about football outside of your club. That's okay you probably really love you club and can't be stuffed with anything else.

I really like licorice ice-cream, probably more than you like Hawthorn, believe it or not. But I still like to have other flavours as well.

Sounds a bit like you have no idea about football outside of your club. That's okay you probably really love you club and can't be stuffed with anything else.
No, you're wrong. I follow the game, not just Hawthorn. No different to many other AFL tragics on this site. I just didn't happen to watch many St Kilda matches from 2014-2016.

I saw a bit of Dunstan one year. (Maybe his 2nd season?) He seemed alright. Tough, strong. Looked like he belonged out there. But it doesn't worry me that he isn't a Hawthorn player. That's my point. We needed a ruckman and Ben McEvoy did the job. Why would I bother second guessing that decision and obsessing over your draft selection?

O'Meara is probably a bit different because we've given up an extra pick or 3 and his career is in the balance (if you believe the doomsayers). But I still don't see how this equates to a win for another club. He'll either get his knee right and play some good footy for Hawthorn, or he won't. I'm pretty sure this won't alter St Kilda or Gold Coast's chances of winning the flag.

Last edited:

Congratulations on securing Ben Long and Josh battle and best of luck with whoever you choose with our 1st round pick in the 2017 draft. I will watch their careers with interest, if only to see what might've been if we'd kept our draft picks and chosen those boys instead of O'Meara. But truth be told, it's highly unlikely we would've selected the same players anyway. Long, Battle and [Player X] were your recruiting targets. Not ours. Even if we did draft them, who's to say they would be the same players in our system with our development coaches? Players aren't machines. Most AFL players seem to perform better (or worse) under different coaches.
don't forget pick 19 was essentially part of the trade as well (Blake Acres), when Hawks gave it to us cheaply. can't remember the specifics but think we gave you 59(?) which ended up being Ceglar I think

Edit: 24 (Hartung) and 59 (Ceglar) for 19 (Acres)

Last edited:
don't forget pick 19 was essentially part of the trade as well (Blake Acres), when Hawks gave it to us cheaply. can't remember the specifics but think we gave you 59(?) which ended up being Ceglar I think

Edit: 24 (Hartung) and 59 (Ceglar) for 19 (Acres)
Meh. Switching picks just 5 places apart.. You probably would've selected Blake Acres with pick no.24

You're right. That was a secondary part of the McEvoy deal, but it hardly bears repeating. So we got Jon Ceglar with one of your late picks... Does that tilt the trade in our favour? Not really. The way I look at it, we would've picked him with any of our late picks. Just happened to be the one we got from St Kilda.

Stopped reading after this insult.
Well, there's some truth in it, I think. Hawks fans used to carry on about similar stuff when we hadn't won anything in years. (Bragging about the Thompson and Hay trades with North which netted us Lewis and Birchall). I remember locking horns with North fans over that stuff back in 2005/2006 but mainly in defence of my club from arrogant North loudmouths who accused us of tanking. My attitude then was "Piss off! We don't need Thompson and Hay. Clarkson has a plan, he is building something, just you wait and see..."

So like I say, good luck to you with Dunstan, Acres, Long, Battle, etc. I hope you enjoy watching them develop into good players for St Kilda. But I don't understand why it has to be turned into a pissing contest with Hawthorn. That just seems a long way removed from us yelling "C'arn Saints!" and "C'arn Hawks!" when our teams meet each other.

Well, there's some truth in it, I think. Hawks fans used to carry on about similar stuff when we hadn't won anything in years. (Bragging about the Thompson and Hay trades with North which netted us Lewis and Birchall). I remember locking horns with North fans over that stuff back in 2005/2006 but mainly in defence of my club from arrogant North loudmouths who accused us of tanking. My attitude then was "Piss off! We don't need Thompson and Hay. Clarkson has a plan, he is building something, just you wait and see..."

So like I say, good luck to you with Dunstan, Acres, Long, Battle, etc. I hope you enjoy watching them develop into good players for St Kilda. But I don't understand why it has to be turned into a pissing contest with Hawthorn. That just seems a long way removed from us yelling "C'arn Saints!" and "C'arn Hawks!" when our teams meet each other.
Not sure why you're getting so much hate, I tend to agree we're more competitive over little things cos we haven't won a cup in so long. Although fwiw I think we're at about the same stage as hawks 07 now so hopefully we win 4 in the next decade :D

Oh wait nvm the Giants exist now... :oops:

I don't understand the mentality of football fans who compare trades in this way and make out it's some competition to see who "won" the trade.

Couldn't agree more, it's completely stupid.
Hence the mocking of your fellow flog Hairy O.

Well done on not picking up on the mocking though, and taking it on face value.

Comprehension win.

You sure have written a lot for someone who thinks anything beyond 'go team' is stupid.
Maybe a football forum isn't for you?

Rest assured noone around here cares what you think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MacEvoy and Hawthorn 'won' that trade as they got a ruck that helped win two flags.

Saints have won this trade as they have two senior players from it and a first round pick while Hawks got an overpriced injury bust.

i'm not so sure on the McEvoy trade, because the side won a flag doesnt automatically equate the trade as a win. you would have to demonstrate that without mcevoy they wouldnt have won those flags, which i dont think is necessarily true. you also then have to look at the opportunity cost of not having picks 18 & 19 plus the loss of savage.

in reality the hawks could have kept those picks, savage and then got another ruckmen from somewhere else, probably cheaper

tl;dr : because a side wins a flag doesnt mean all the parts are somehow successful

No, you're wrong. I follow the game, not just Hawthorn. No different to many other AFL tragics on this site. I just didn't happen to watch many St Kilda matches from 2014-2016.

I saw a bit of Dunstan one year. (Maybe his 2nd season?) He seemed alright. Tough, strong. Looked like he belonged out there. But it doesn't worry me that he isn't a Hawthorn player. That's my point. We needed a ruckman and Ben McEvoy did the job. Why would I bother second guessing that decision and obsessing over your draft selection?

O'Meara is probably a bit different because we've given up an extra pick or 3 and his career is in the balance (if you believe the doomsayers). But I still don't see how this equates to a win for another club. He'll either get his knee right and play some good footy for Hawthorn, or he won't. I'm pretty sure this won't alter St Kilda or Gold Coast's chances of winning the flag.
Didn't get time to read that, just a quick scan. Did you say you want some liquorice ice cream or not?

Not sure why you're getting so much hate
The club boards are footy at it's most tribal. You get all sorts of aggro faux tough guys who say stuff they'd never say in real life if they were talking to someone on the train or in a bar or even at the footy.

I don't know if it's just people who had a bad day, or miserable in their lives, or maybe just suspicious and territorial towards anyone who posts here who isn't a regular.

I can see now I offended a few easily-offended people, but it wasn't aimed at all Saints fans. I was speaking generally. I'm sure if Hawthorn spends the next 5 years in the lower half of the ladder, then many Hawks fans will also obsess over draft picks and get involved in the pointless pissing contests over draft selections & trades.

Although fwiw I think we're at about the same stage as hawks 07 now so hopefully we win 4 in the next decade
Yeah, you guys are overdue. But I get a pretty good feeling about where you're headed with your current coach and talented list of players.

I'll be barracking for you in the finals :thumbsu:

The club boards are footy at it's most tribal. You get all sorts of aggro faux tough guys who say stuff they'd never say in real life if they were talking to someone on the train or in a bar or even at the footy.

I don't know if it's just people who had a bad day, or miserable in their lives, or maybe just suspicious and territorial towards anyone who posts here who isn't a regular.

I can see now I offended a few easily-offended people, but it wasn't aimed at all Saints fans. I was speaking generally. I'm sure if Hawthorn spends the next 5 years in the lower half of the ladder, then many Hawks fans will also obsess over draft picks and get involved in the pointless pissing contests over draft selections & trades.

Yeah, you guys are overdue. But I get a pretty good feeling about where you're headed with your current coach and talented list of players.

I'll be barracking for you in the finals :thumbsu:

If we make finals... You watching this shit?

MacEvoy and Hawthorn 'won' that trade as they got a ruck that helped win two flags.

Saints have won this trade as they have two senior players from it and a first round pick while Hawks got an overpriced injury bust.

Our last overpriced injury bust was Shaun Burgoyne. There was talk in 2010/11 that his degenerative knee was going to cut his career short and we paid overs for him. Next minute he is still playing great footy 177 games and 3 flags later... Andrew Russell will get Jaeger right.. apparently he is a good chance of coming back for a game or 2 the end of this year.

From a distance Mccartin is looking like Kosi mark 2, do you persevere for the next 10 years or cut him?
Personally from what i have seen he is not going to make the grade much less be a star.
The club needs to assess this and move on, give him a year or 2 to string good games together otherwise goodbye dont clog our list.

what if the hawks push up the ladder and get a pick somewhere between 6-8 then we dont manage to get that big target like a kelly/martin etc.

to me that's going to hurt us, as we would have essentially traded out of a good draft, passing on good talent for what will be a selection in a poor draft

After tonight will Battle and Long be playing next week?

Or is there a long list of players with targets on them?

what if the hawks push up the ladder and get a pick somewhere between 6-8 then we dont manage to get that big target like a kelly/martin etc.

to me that's going to hurt us, as we would have essentially traded out of a good draft, passing on good talent for what will be a selection in a poor draft

I think it's the depth people question rather than the top end quality so you should be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Hawthorn 2017 1st Round Pick Watch

Back