News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

People will probably think I'm defending King but when he says that about us or anyone he means as a premiership threat right now , season 2024 .

We are getting really good media coverage at the minute . We don't need everyone ( or anyone to be honest ) being cheerleaders for us.
Umm no. He said 3 weeks ago that Hawthorn are no where near it and he couldn't see how Hawthorn could improve enough next year to win even 10 games.

Last edited:
Umm no. He said 3 weeks ago that Hawthorn are no where near it and he couldn't see how Hawthorn could improve enough next year to win even 10 games.
I'm talking about what he said on the means test on SEN yesterday .
If you know the show and the segment PFI it's about can that team win a preliminary to get to a gf this season.
What he said was fair and reasonable in relation to that .

I know what your talking about . I think if you can bothered , go back and listen to what he said. You've missed a few things which give that better context

So we are sliding into ‘hawthorn are pretty good but will that style stack up in finals’ phase

Premiership within 2 years I reckon

Maybe they’ll catch up to north eh Kingy?

As our coach said the media and co is outside noise, we block it out!

Sam has said he is building a game plan and team that will stand up in finals.

So far the Hawks have delivered on there word to the fans. So for now I trust and believe…..

I think he has a point though. Just about every side to win the flag since our threepeat has had a player like him.

I think we're hoping Baz will be that player for us.
Smith would be our third best mid, nowhere near a Petracca - even if we did need one. Melbourne have had THE Petracca and have only managed the 1 flag.

So we are sliding into ‘hawthorn are pretty good but will that style stack up in finals’ phase

Premiership within 2 years I reckon

Maybe they’ll catch up to north eh Kingy?

The fact he thinks stoppage is our number one asset or only one is laughable. Ball movement is top notch, contest work post stoppage best in the comp along with a strong stoppage game. Talking out of his ass a little.

I'm talking about what he said on the means test on SEN yesterday .
If you know the show and the segment PFI it's about can that team win a preliminary to get to a gf this season.
What he said was fair and reasonable in relation to that .

I know what your talking about . I think if you can bothered , go back and listen to what he said. You've missed a few things which give that better context
I didn't miss any context. He was comparing the Suns to Hawthorn and said unlike the Suns I can't see improvement where I see them to win more than 10 games.

What do you expect from the Herald Sun.
Crosswords. More crosswords, dammit!
But yeah, kidding aside, that was a howler. I can give commentators a bit of leeway when they're talking quickly in real-time, but having time to caption a still picture...CJ's fault for not being in the back half where he's supposed to be!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bartel respects our club, our history and culture immensely. Has said it on a number of occassions that when he was playing he wanted to beat us because he saw us as their equal in terms of culture, standards etc and he's right.
Equal in culture? I've never seen a Hawthorn player blatantly dive quite like him.

Equal in culture? I've never seen a Hawthorn player blatantly dive quite like him.
Every time I see or here Bartel, I get Bag Raiders tune in my head.
Thanks Jimmy, rent free & loving it.
Doo da doot doo da doo da doot doo da doo 🌠

He makes a very good point about Sicily though. Up the pressure and we are in trouble like everyone, it is why the Coach is looking for more quality, more flexibility and experience. He can see our strengths and weaknesses, better than anyone else.
I'm not sure, he's asking the question of why no one is running with him - but at the same time the coaches are actually doing opposition analysis and have tried to send defensive forwards to Scrimshaw more often than Sic. Richmond did it with Cumberland for example.

The problem with Sicily for opposition coaches is that if he's getting tagged you just switch him to CHB or FB and he will be fine, then Scrimshaw becomes a problem. They're averaging 8.1 and 7.9 intercept possessions a game - 4th and 7th respectively.

Sic was getting a lot more attention early in the season. He isn't getting as much since coming back from injury. It might just be the opponents we have played but I am sure Fremantle and Carlton will send someone to him

Sic was getting a lot more attention early in the season. He isn't getting as much since coming back from injury. It might just be the opponents we have played but I am sure Fremantle and Carlton will send someone to him
Hoyne himself states in that interview that pretty much the only player who spent significant time on him was Guelfi in round 1.

Is it much harder now we have D'Ambrossio, Amon, Impey, Scrimshaw, Weddle etc to tag Sicily? We have so many outlets. I remember people asked Rocket when at Collingwood why the Pies didn't tag Birchall, and he said with Guerra or Suckling there they'd just free up the other two and they would hurt you just as much, so then they'd have to work on system and therefore a tag wouldn't work.

Is it much harder now we have D'Ambrossio, Amon, Impey, Scrimshaw, Weddle etc to tag Sicily? We have so many outlets. I remember people asked Rocket when at Collingwood why the Pies didn't tag Birchall, and he said with Guerra or Suckling there they'd just free up the other two and they would hurt you just as much, so then they'd have to work on system and therefore a tag wouldn't work.
Yes as I said it's also due to the opponent. Teams like Fremantle and Carlton will do it as they feel he could make or break their path to victory. Yes others are getting more attention. However if I am Voss I am targetting Sic

I must admit, I recall the games at the start of the season well (unfortunately) and I don't remember Sicily ever being given that much attention outside of Rd 1. Most of the form issues Sicily had up until that point were almost entirely of his own creation, lazy kicks and lazy contests, and they were compounded by how bad things were going for us up field and how easily we were rebounded against.

The stats tend to follow that line of thinking too:

RoundNumberOppositionResultRatingPointsDisposalsDisposalEfficiencyMetresGainedInterceptsMarksInterceptMarksCD1:1CDL
1​
EssL
5.7​
11​
81.8​
72​
7​
2​
1​
1​
100%​
2​