NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed. Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Process Plan - https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...erms-of-Reference-and-Process-Plan-FINAL-.pdf

AFL Ends Investigation - 'Imperfect resolution' as Hawks probe ends, no one charged

DO NOT QUOTE THREADS FROM OTHER BOARDS

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone with a job and paying no rent having no money and no clothes speaks to an impressive send off.

Surely he had to know this would come out.

Does this mean Hawthorn is withdrawing the cash offer...
I don't subscribe to hun so only read the bit that was in the quote I posted - not sure what you're referring to with that?

I don't subscribe to hun so only read the bit that was in the quote I posted - not sure what you're referring to with that?

There were a number of claims made by Hawthorn in their deposition. Included in the claim about him being drunk or high when picked up at the airport he was said to have admitted that he had no clothes and no money left in the bank.

There were a number of claims made by Hawthorn in their deposition. Included in the claim about him being drunk or high when picked up at the airport he was said to have admitted that he had no clothes and no money left in the bank.
That does sound like a ripping night out.

Probably not the best idea to get his employers to pick him up after a bender.

“ it’s not a lie if you believe it” and that goes for both parties.

Memories, feelings, perceptions are all subject to inconsistencies between different parties in the very same scenarios.
The great man agrees with you.
a281d0dd-dbcd-4dfc-806d-37a2636ad93e_text.gif

I’ve been strong all along that what Jackson did was gutter journalism at its very worst. He did a character assassination on Clarkson, Fagan and Burt with from what I can tell with zero hard evidence.

The moment he published that “story” this was going to be a s..t show from start to finish. That claim especially about the forced termination, now it appears that the meeting didn’t even occur? That blows my mind TBH. How can you publish a claim that damaging without hard evidence?

Goes to the wider decline of the ABC overall, the standards at that institution are really a cause for worry these days.
Would you say it’s all part of the radical left’s woke Marxist agenda?

Would you say it’s all part of the radical left’s woke Marxist agenda?
I’d just call it poor journalism.

I remember at the time when this first broke hearing Caroline Wilson state that she was surprised that the ABC published the story given the lack of hard evidence to back it up (or words to that effect).

And yes there is a trend with the ABC lately that there journalistic standards do falter when they feel like they can champion one of their causes. They are a long, long way from being the impartial broadcaster that they are meant to be.

I’d say the odds of the ABC being on the wrong end of a lawsuit from the coaches has increased quite a bit after what I’ve read today.

Hawthorn has sensationally claimed that alleged racism victim Carl Peterson was incoherent and appeared affected by drugs or alcohol when he was picked up by a club official at Melbourne Airport after a flight from Perth.
What does that have to do with it?

It’s interesting that the Club is saying that the alleged meeting between Peterson and the coaches in which Clarkson told him he needed to tell his partner to terminate her pregnancy didn’t actually occur.

Not that Peterson misconstrued the advice given to him from the coaches or something similiar, they are saying that it didn’t occur at all.

That’s pretty big. This whole saga to my mind hinges on whether this meeting took place and what was said in it.

All the other incidents (Jeff’s torn jeans comment, Cyril being called Humphrey, Clarko asking about the skin colour difference) are to most independent observers more bad taste / possibly culturally insentitive but wouldn’t pass the threshold of being racist.

All the initial reporting was centred around that alleged meeting in which the player was instructed to terminate their partners pregnancy. And the club has now said that no such meeting ever occurred.

There can’t be any middle ground with this one, one of the two sides is flat out lying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id say it was a glory hunter jumping the gun on a story he simply didnt do anywhere near enough research on.

As we are now seeing.
Which is exactly what some of us were saying very early on in the piece and were pilloried for saying that Rusty's "report" was shithouse journalism.

Would be pretty easy to prove either way all they would need is a bank statement from the time

A central tenet of the Hawthorn defence is around the deed of settlement and release that Cyril signed when he left Hawthorn.

Will be interesting to see if that over rides the claims Cyril as the lead claimant is making and what impact that will have on the other claimants.

Which is exactly what some of us were saying very early on in the piece and were pilloried for saying that Rusty's "report" was shithouse journalism.
I also find the argument that news outlets report on criminal cases and trying to make a connection with Rustys "report" pretty dubious.

When news outlets (such as the ABC) report that a person is being sent to trial on a charge they are safe in the fact that they know that the police, criminal prosecution, etc have gathered hard evidence, gathered sworn statements, the whole mechanism of the legal system has been put in place before going to trial.

Whereas Rusty was going on Phil Egans report. And even leaving alone the valid concerns about the integrity of the man who wrote the report the actual report itself was a total mess. It was borderline incoherent, no way would any self respecting journo have relied on such a flawed document to justify publishing that level of claims.

It would be like if I wrote some crazy, batshit manifesto about how lizard people have infiltrated the Scouts and sent it to the ABC email address.

Now I've made the claim, should the ABC publish it? Or is it their duty to actually do the hard yards to verify the veracity of said claims with some hard evidence not just my word. In other words do their bloody job!

It speaks to a range of different issues that responding to the claim raises. Most simpletons will play it as a pure character assassination. That might be part of it but not the substantial whole of it.

Unrelated, but it kind of goes to the point I was discussing many pages ago around separation of players and coaching in the AFL. Very difficult. Especially when players are experiencing troubles.

That does sound like a ripping night out.

Probably not the best idea to get his employers to pick him up after a bender.

The alternative was being picked up by the Mrs....

In the original allegations, he had told his partner that Hawthorn staff wouldn't let him come home.
Hawthorn are essentially claiming he didn't want to go home in that state, and after he recovered and returned home, sometimes choose to stay with Hawthorn staff.

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed. Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back