NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
I served overseas and the military for over 25 years. I have travelled extensively. I also have Indigenous family. If people think Australia is a racist country you need to get out more. Australia is one of the most tolerant countries in the world and I am tired of people putting it down

It's also different to call a whole country racist just because a few are

so which countries are the racist ones

Every nation is racist.

Doesn't excuse people's behaviour here
but people that think we're some massively racist country compared to the rest of the world are unfortunately deluded.
The trouble is this is the number one excuse and phrase that people use when trying to excuse bad behaviour.

Footy Class will be much watch viewing tonight

The North Melbourne Football Club is aware of serious historical allegations made against individuals who worked at the Hawthorn Football Club, including incoming North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson.

The matters raised are now with the AFL's Integrity Unit and Alastair welcomes the opportunity to co-operate with any investigation relating to the claims.

Alastair was due to commence work with North Melbourne on November 1 however he will delay the start of his tenure to allow time to fully participate in the investigation.

Given the matters raised are confidential and the investigation is ongoing, the club will not provide any further comment at this time.

All allegations at this stage, definitely, but, and I emphasise this is a personal belief rather than any assertion of fact, I find it very difficult to believe this sort of thing has just been invented by the people involved.

Absolutely sickening. What has been alleged here is not something you would expect to hear in this time and place, and if true crosses all kinds of boundaries. There's a desire to win and be successful, but that should never cross the bounds of basic human decency

As disgusted as I and I'm sure every other Hawthorn supporter is, let's not just shrug our shoulders and push this aside. Let's use our memberships to push for a positive change in the club, so that we can have a club that deserves our support.

I'd much rather support a good club than a successful one, and we have a lot of rebuilding to do.

There was no other way.

It does raise the question of whether North will seek out another coach. Ross Lyon anyone?

There is nothing that can ever be done about the past. We need to do better now by learning from the past. The past is history and continually raising it is half the problem.
So only half the problem is racism, the other half is accurately teaching history? Buddy, this sounds like a you problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When will the whole report made public?

It won't.

Gillon already answered this; the report was conducted on the basis of anonymity and so the contents won't be disclosed.

Likely we'll have a public disclosure of the broad findings, and any sanctions, plus any player(s) who want to speak out publicly will obviously have a platform to do so.

Because the ABC story had more details than the independent review that was sent to the AFL and the AFL is p'd about it.

It wasn't the contents of the review which sparked this, it was the ABC article.
The allegations being made in the article seem to have been given more freely, due to it not being part of the investigation.

There’s more likely even more to come, should full anonymity be given to indigenous players, but to suggest that the investigation was a failure when it clearly discovered and reported
disturbing historical allegations that require further investigation is a bit much.

The trouble is this is the number one excuse and phrase that people use when trying to excuse people's bad behaviour.
Not excusing it, every nation also includes Australia.

It's when people try to point us out like we're an exception to the world order that I get annoyed.

The world's a cesspit, it'd be nice if we tried to get along but we are generations far removed from that e er happening unfortunately.

Watching Yokayi (sorry, spelling???) will be a must see after this. Get the popcorn!
Appalling story, and rightly, it will be served up to Hawthorn, no doubt. Can understand the Rioli retirement now.

When will the whole report made public?

That is now probably up to the AFL. But my guess is there is no way this doesnt end up in a court case with at least Clarko and Fagan suing either the AFL or the ABC or both.

So all sorts of things are going to come out.

The goal of the report was to learn from past mistakes, but instead its going to create some pretty nasty divides.

Both Hawthorn and North have made a point of using the word 'historical'.

The external group reached out to the 20 Aboriginal players who were at the club, so I am sure Burgoyne was one of them.

As for whether he, or any of the other players took part we dont know. We also dont know who the aggrieved players are. Nor do the club.

Only the external group know at the moment. And I assume within a day or 2 the AFL will know. I would hope that at some point Hawthorn and those accused will know as well, because they absolutely have a right to know who is accusing them, and what they are being accused of doing.
I think Rhan hooper must be one, only player I can see that quit on the club as said in one of the stories.

Waking up to the story on the other side of the world this morning. Sickening to read. Clarkson, Fagan, Burt & Co should never be allowed to step foot in a footy club again at any level.

Russell Jackson is the best in the business. Long may he continue to shine light in these dimly lit corners of the game we all love in the hope that one day all who are involved with it are treated as human beings and as equals.

Who are you punishing? Players that had nothing to do with this scandal. Coaches that had nothing to do with the scandal

The guys the made the alleged comments work at other clubs. Any punishment needs to be directed at the individuals involved - not Hawthorn, unless there's proof there was some club policy / direction.

Real world doesn't work like that. Employers are responsible for the people they employ and the conduct within their workplace.

Would open a huge can of worms if employers were no longer responsible for the actions of their employees, past or present.

There was no other way.

It does raise the question of whether North will seek out another coach. Ross Lyon anyone?

Massive problem for North, unlike Brisbane they don't really have an existing solid coaching structure in place where one of the assistants can take over fairly easily.

They either need to interview for the role, pending Clarkson's outcome (his position is pretty untenable IMO given how do you get guys like Simpkin and Thomas to come in and play for you) or plan to turf Clarkson quietly, or risk going in with John Blakely as their most experienced assistant to run the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back