Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that would be the last match that wasn't genuine filler material then.

I'm still going biggest since 2016. ;)
Nah imo for that timeframe the biggest game was the debut game of the holy trinity of Ablett, Dangerfield and Selwood on Easter Monday 2018.

Nah imo for that timeframe the biggest game was the debut game of the holy trinity of Ablett, Dangerfield and Selwood on Easter Monday 2018.
It's a shame they were probably two years off being able to make that combo work (2014-2016 would've been insane) but yeah that was still a fun game.

Of course games at the G are "bigger" by default. But I still see this as the most important Geelong/Hawthorn since the 2016 QF, maybe for Hawthorn supporters it's different. I believe Geelong could be back in the top 4, or Hawthorn in the top 8, depending on the result. The late 2018 game you mentioned before is the only one close to those stakes this late in the season.

Yep our midfield is singing atm. Only worry for me is Sicily being injured otherwise I think we will do it
It's a big test for the Hawks I think. Mainly because of Chris Scott. Part of me thinks that Hawks style will get worked out and if anyone can do it, it's Scott.

5 years out of the finals and then rising from there is pretty standard for a rebuild timeline.
Except we weren’t “rebuilding” for 2 of those years (2020-21) when Clarkson was still in charge and playing senior blokes like Burgoyne, Puopolo, Smith, Shiels, Mitchell, O’Meara, McEvoy, Hartigan, Phillips, Stratton, O’Brien, Howe, Bramble, Scully, Henderson, Frawley, Ceglar, Minchington and Hartley.

That’s the main reason why he had to go.

It’s only when Sam Mitchell replaced him as head coach that we started to prioritise our youth; we moved our older guys on and and the rebuild was properly underway.

How idiotic do the so-called experts look now for saying we should’ve kept Tom Mitchell, Jaeger O’Meara, Liam Shiels and Daniel Howe instead of clearing the way for Newcombe, Day, Worpel and Nash.

It amazes me how little accountability there is for their shitty opinions. They all just move onto their next target and continue to spout their garbage and pretend they’re football gurus who know what they’re talking about.

Last edited:
I don't usually listen to it (saw Hawks in the title) but did anyone else list to the AFL Daily pod this morning and hear Damian Barrett fawning all over us saying how unbelievable our turn around has been. You have to wonder wether this guy knows how much of a diabolical w@nka he sounds like. At the start of this season he was still rolling with that we were a tanking team 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think the AFL world is convinced by our form yet..

We have lost 1 game (by 1 point with 3 seconds to go) since the end of April.
In the same time period, the Cats have staggered to a 2Win 5 Loss record..
Yet the Bookies have them as very warm favorites ($1.58 to $2.39) for this weekends game.

I am happy to fly under the radar

Current ladder positions of teams Hawks have defeated over the last 8 weeks:

Form isn’t nearly as impressive as the media are making out

If they can beat Geelong then it might mean something, but I doubt they will

In any other year, you're probably right.

You can throw a blanket over 3rd-13th though, so their form is impressive nonetheless.

Clear top 2, and a clear bottom 5.

Everyone else is around the same level, and for a young side like Hawthorn to be in that discussion is a testament to their improvement.

I’ll be the ying to your yang.

Hawks are doing a shitload right at the moment, and only the most simplest of analysis is done via wins/losses.

Hawks are 1st in the Comp for Disp Eff in last 5 weeks, but also…

1st for rebounds per oppo in50.
2nd for marks in50.
2nd for marks in50 per in50
3rd shots on goal per in50
2nd scores from CB
2nd scores from kick in
3rd defensive loss %
4th for scores from stoppage

Now for all the things we squeeze the opposition on while doing it well ourselves.

1st inside 50’s differential
1st mark in50 differential
1st scores from kick in diff
2nd scores from stop diff
1st scores from CB diff
2nd scores from defensive half diff
1st intercept possession diff
2nd meters gained diff
4th Centre clearance diff
4th intercept mark diff
2nd marks on lead diff

3 of those sides above us on the ladder.

St.Kilda were above us when we beat them.
Adelaide may have been at the time if memory serves me correct. Regardless, it was a make or break game for both sides and we wiped them off the park, with the final scoreline flattering them.

We had the second or third (can't remember which) hardest fixture this season according to Champion Data, despite finishing bottom 4 last year.

Also lost by less than a kick to Port Adelaide and Collingwood.

I'm not even convinced the form from a win-loss perspective is sustainable for the remaining rounds, as the side is still young and developing. Downplaying one of the form teams of the competition after an ultra-impressive 8 week stretch is foolish though.

I’ll be the ying to your yang.

Hawks are doing a shitload right at the moment, and only the most simplest of analysis is done via wins/losses.

Hawks are 1st in the Comp for Disp Eff in last 5 weeks, but also…

1st for rebounds per oppo in50.
2nd for marks in50.
2nd for marks in50 per in50
3rd shots on goal per in50
2nd scores from CB
2nd scores from kick in
3rd defensive loss %
4th for scores from stoppage

Now for all the things we squeeze the opposition on while doing it well ourselves.

1st inside 50’s differential
1st mark in50 differential
1st scores from kick in diff
2nd scores from stop diff
1st scores from CB diff
2nd scores from defensive half diff
1st intercept possession diff
2nd meters gained diff
4th Centre clearance diff
4th intercept mark diff
2nd marks on lead diff
SYL I've wondered who you were on social media and now I know 😂