Preview Hawthorn v Melbourne - MCG, 9 August 2014, 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On AM radio they said the club is confident it won't be more than 2-3 weeks which sounds like it's good but I thought it was a 1 at max type of injury by the looks of it. Need him for Cats and Dockers

Would take it to be a 2-3 week injury, we are coming top 4 so would be happy to have him available a week before finals

It's 10 weeks this week I believe.
Gee well that would be season over then if it was that bad which of course we hope it's not. Grand Final is around 8 weeks away.
FWIW it's usually Tuesday when the club does the "BUPA injury report". Not sure why they did Cyril's early. I say the longer the wait the better the news is likely to be if anything

Gee well that would be season over then if it was that bad which of course we hope it's not. Grand Final is around 8 weeks away.
FWIW it's usually Tuesday when the club does the "BUPA injury report". Not sure why they did Cyril's early. I say the longer the wait the better the news is likely to be if anything

If Hannebery plays this week it will be 8 weeks, he did his ankle against Port on June 14

How long was Hannebery out for? He's back this week I think

Absolutely critical not to lose Gunner for any lengthy period of time. After EVERYTHING this year it's yet another bitter blow.
TOB and Sicily wouldn't be in the frame - I'd imagine it'd be swinging between Schoe and Spang as a structural replacement. Neither have anywhere near Gunner's smarts unfortunately. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Hannberry came back on when he did his and look at what happened to him.

I must admit that Hanneberry's looked worse and when I did mine I could barely even bear weight within about 2 minutes of doing it, so I did mine nice and properly but as I said I was 10 weeks and a futher 4 before playing pain free, they are a nightmare of an injury.

Still have issues with some 20 yr old ankle injuries.

Don't ever seem to get back to full strength.

After the Rioli, Mitchell & Gibson injury announcements I think we're all a little gun shy. This makes the silence from the club deafening. Here's hoping it's not too bad. If it were a lesser player I dare say most would be pretty content to wait for the usual Tuesday afternoon update .... but this Gunston injury is torture!

Hopefully Gunston is only out for a couple, but I see this as a real opportunity for Schoenmakers to prove he can play as a key forward.

Maybe we should play Grimley and see if the lad is up to it, lest this way if he seeks a trade at seasons end his market value would have gone up.

Hopefully Gunston is only out for a couple, but I see this as a real opportunity for Schoenmakers to prove he can play as a key forward.

Maybe with a clearly defined role and not roaming around the place Schoenmakers will play better. I'm a fan but I wonder whether the club bulked him up too much this season.

I would love to see Billy back also. Have a sneaking feeling he could be an X factor come September. I'm sure having Billy, Smith and Hill running onto the MCG in September will send shivers up opposition spines.

Earlier in the year, I had a theory that Hartung would be in to replace Suckers. There's not many teams that can deal with Smith & Hill together - add Hartung and we really give ourselves a transition that no-one could deal with.

The reason for replacing Suckers is that I see him as a key player in the transition, but a few teams worked him out earlier in the year; always tries to mark on his chest and is weak one-on-one, so play him close and he never gets the ball, and his contribution to transition is zero (add a few turnovers, and its negative). Even after the Sydney game, where he did a lot of good things, Lyons advised the other teams to go through Suckling.

In his defense, I think Suckling has changed his style in the last few weeks and become far more aggressive and penetrating, and is far faster than I thought. Thought he would struggle against Swans, but reckon he did well, but hard to tell because they let him run free. Still want to see how he goes with a tag - he will become a liability real quick unless he can use that speed to receive the ball safely and use that left foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suckling has played 2 of his best games for the year in the last 2 weeks, I think he has had a pretty good year to be honest and although I thought he would be on the fringe come finals time I do believe he has now secured himself a spot in the team, he may very well start as the sub if and when all players return.

Paul Roos rant:

Paul Roos is continuing to con the footy world. Now the Demons are still affected by the tanking they did in 2009? They can't get the losing mentality out go their system?

When Melbourne won a game or two, Roosy was the coach of the year. He was teaching them how to win. When they lose a couple, it's not Roos fault, it's the players?

Hey, Roosy, you're an ordinary coach, mate! You had huge salary cap advantages in Sydney, and you played the ugliest football ever played. You can't fool everyone.

Just take the money and run.

Hawks need to find a team balance for this game where we can win convincingly and still rest some stars for the finals. Just hope the Paul Snoozeball style the Demons play gets badly exposed and we as a team can help kill off the gameplans that are killing our great game as a spectacle.
I here what you are saying but doubt there will be too many putting their hands up for a rest. Horses for courses against the Roos snooze so I suspect Clarko may go with quick hands and outside run to bust the game open early, so that means Mitchell, Lewis, Langford, Smith and Hill with Hartung sub. Simpkin and Woodward to have a spell. Shoey to play at true CHF and not the roaming decoy as he was Sunday. Back line unchanged and will be frugal against the rabble Roos calls his forward line - accordingly I'll be surprised if the Dees kick anymore goals than Dogs did...

After the Rioli, Mitchell & Gibson injury announcements I think we're all a little gun shy. This makes the silence from the club deafening. Here's hoping it's not too bad. If it were a lesser player I dare say most would be pretty content to wait for the usual Tuesday afternoon update .... but this Gunston injury is torture!
The silence could mean a few things but I sense we should brace for some bad news. Either the initial scan has come back and they have requested a second scan / opinion or he hasn't had the scan yet because the swelling hasn't come down. I'm sure others could offer more optimistic reasons but I'm not feeling all that confident :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back