Preview Hawthorn vs Adelaide - Teams, chat, scones etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We upgrade Wanganeen last year and then didn't play him. I'm in the Langford camp. I reckon he'd make a fine tagger at AFL level. He's quick, too. Hopefully his injury from last weekend wasn't too serious? The lad needs a change of luck.
A pity Amos Frank couldn't start kicking a few bags at VFL level.

What do you mean with the money part? I'm a little confused with that haha

Costs money to elevate a rookie, not much in the scheme of things but $10,000+ I believe. I remember when Melbourne elevated Davey a few supporters got together to fund it.

Anyway not really a Hawks problem, but you would still wait until playing a player before elevating.

Costs money to elevate a rookie, not much in the scheme of things but $10,000+ I believe. I remember when Melbourne elevated Davey a few supporters got together to fund it.

Anyway not really a Hawks problem, but you would still wait until playing a player before elevating.
Does it effect the salary cap? Or is rookie elevation cap space set aside in advance to avoid accidentally going over? Not that I'd think we'd be pushing our cap so much that we can't afford to elevate a single rookie. That would be just terrible list management.

Does it effect the salary cap? Or is rookie elevation cap space set aside in advance to avoid accidentally going over? Not that I'd think we'd be pushing our cap so much that we can't afford to elevate a single rookie. That would be just terrible list management.

Yeah good question, I'm not going to pretend to know the answer. Along the same lines are contracts with performance bonuses such as B&F finishes and AA awards. Obviously clubs allow enough leeway to cover these as they arise. If they don't they would probably pay up to the max towards contracts to free up cash for future years etc.

Jeeze I never knew that. What's the benefit to having Rookies on the list? Is it just that clubs can pay them less or are their salaries outside of the cap somewhat? Seems to me that the way the game is heading with more mature age recruits etc, why not just have a roster of 45-46 or whatever it is, all on equal footing, no rookies?

Happy to be argued against on that though, perhaps there's something I'm missing?

Jeeze I never knew that. What's the benefit to having Rookies on the list? Is it just that clubs can pay them less or are their salaries outside of the cap somewhat? Seems to me that the way the game is heading with more mature age recruits etc, why not just have a roster of 45-46 or whatever it is, all on equal footing, no rookies?

Happy to be argued against on that though, perhaps there's something I'm missing?
Rookies are paid a lot less than senior listed players. It is essentially a supplememntary list in case of widespread injury. If promoted, rookies retain their small retainer (outside the normal cap I believe) but will receive match payments which certainly fall within the cap.

Brad Sewell will make a really big difference to our midfield this week. Was watching the replay of the Preliminary Final against the Crows last year and Sewell third quarter was just outstanding. He completely dominated in the middle with his clearance work. :thumbsu:

Regards Contested Marking, see below, Forward/Defenders for Hawthorn.

Stats from the AFL Site

Roughead - Total Marks - 23, Contested 4
Hale - 23, 10
Gunston - 16, 4
Puopolo - 12, 1
Franklin - 26, 11
Stratton - 24, 3
Hodge - 17, 5
Gibson - 19, 0
Lake - 3, 2

Hale takes contested marks, so i can't see why we'd drop him.

What voodoo magic is this, Buddy can't mark...

Or go crying to the umps looking for a free kick in the disbelief that an opposition player could possibly have beaten him in a one on one contest legally- More Like It!!!!
mega lol. He slipped. Any player in the AFL could've layed that tackle. He handballed it and continued to get dragged down. Umpiring decision could've gone either way but like the rest of the game it went Hawthorns way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mega lol. He slipped. Any player in the AFL could've layed that tackle. He handballed it and continued to get dragged down. Umpiring decision could've gone either way but like the rest of the game it went Hawthorns way.

Get over it:( .....Time to move on methinks!:DIts now 2013.... just in case you missed it! o_O

I agree. Stratton is an awesome defender and there wasn't much Dangerfield could've done to avoid being corralled over that section of the field that Stratton skilfully identified as being slippery.

Brad Sewell will make a really big difference to our midfield this week. Was watching the replay of the Preliminary Final against the Crows last year and Sewell third quarter was just outstanding. He completely dominated in the middle with his clearance work. :thumbsu:

Coming off three weeks out of the game, I don't see him dominating the full 120 minutes, but it will be great to have him back.

on paper we should comfortably win but adelaide will be desperate to turn their season round, so im sensing a bit of a danger game for us.

The biggest benefit of a rookie is that you are able to elevate them onto your senior list. It does cost a draft pick in the national draft but it is a late pick. For example we used pick 70 (Round 5 pick) in 2009 to elevate Suckling onto the senior list. I believe that this must be verified with the AFL prior to the draft so no other club can take that player, kinda like a father son selection, its known what is going to happen before it does.

Obviously there are pro's on con's from the players point of view. Sam Mitchell for example didn't sign up as a rookie despite being overlooked in the national draft. He worked hard to get selected in the next national draft.

Dangerfield had a chance to win the game for Adelaide. He took on Stratton and lost. End of story. But he didnt lose you the game, he was excellent.

But as others have said it is now 2013. Hope the hawks can get another win on the road this year. We also struggle with travel in general, so hopefully we can win some. Will clarko confiscate the phones again?

hey guys - whats the word on X Ellis?...listed as test (calf injury i think)
likely to play for Box Hill anytime soon?...do you see a spot for him in best 22

Will probably play at Box Hill next weekend -- I feel he will need to play consistently well for BH and remain uninjured for at least 10 rounds to get a run in the top 22.

He has class, no doubt about it, but his body continually lets him down. A totally fit and in form X. Ellis is in the top 22 imo. At the moment no.

on paper we should comfortably win but adelaide will be desperate to turn their season round, so im sensing a bit of a danger game for us.

I definitely think this is a huge danger game.

The Crows will still be smarting from last years final, yes they've lost Tex & Tippet who kicked 8 goals between them last time, but they still have a great compliment of midfielders - and if our midfield gets smashed in the clearances like we did last week - there is no Rioli to bail us out.

We need our #23 to have a big one if we are to get the points.

correct, and we dont have that get out of jail card called cryil this week. danger game for sure, apart from the first quarter the crows were ok last week.

Will probably play at Box Hill next weekend -- I feel he will need to play consistently well for BH and remain uninjured for at least 10 rounds to get a run in the top 22.

He has class, no doubt about it, but his body continually lets him down. A totally fit and in form X. Ellis is in the top 22 imo. At the moment no.
When fit he is easily in our best 22 , super tough for a skinny bloke and he reads the play better than most. He is miles ahead of players like gunston and savage when ready, hopefully his time is coming because we are going to need every avaliable player with the number of injuries we are copping. people said Osborne wasnt in our best side but he was one of the players that got us home against the roos with a big last qrt, same with ellis, just because we havent seen him for a while we forget how important he can be.

Ummm I think even the most one eyed Adelaide supporter could see that the tackle from Stratton was perfectly executed. Dangerfield bit off more than he could chew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back