Game Day Hawthorn VS Sydney : 7:40pm @ the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really concerned with Richards this season, he's been pretty poor in most matches, and tonight was no different. He made mistakes for Franklin's first two, falling over and taking a sydney player out in a contest. He made even more mistakes throughout the game, as well as Grundy. It just looks like that communication & trust is gone, not just down back, but all over the ground. It wasn't until Goodes was moved into the centre and started dominating clearances that things started to click again.
We really miss Shaw & LRT.

And Mal was missing targets all night long. Both were also significant culprits in the Geelong game with many turnovers (under very little pressure) leading directly to goals. Just a very sloppy/disorgnised backline this year.

We were probably never going to match the Hawks in terms of firepower, but at least if our defensive effort was up (as was in the GF last year), it would have kept us longer and more competitive in the game.

Haha. Was thinking just this.

I in no way want to jump onto Jesse as the scapegoat (there were so many passengers tonight) however he showed tonight while he has been let down by the club in not giving him a position and letting him own it at AFL level... he still doesn't go hard enough or for long enough. No amount of skill is required to go until you can't go anymore. That is what is called courage, determination, desire and willpower. His whole, have a crack then once the ball is 5 metres away stop and jog around with no particular purpose frustrates me to no end. He could use his body so much better. Block, run, crash packs do somthing that doesn't look like plodding around 20 metres from the contest.

That goes for a fair couple more tonight too. Not good enough Swans. Where was that never give in never stop determination? I couldn't see a hell of a lot of it tonight. Very very poor.

Seeing Jesse White fixing his hair before he took a set shot, was it for me. Maybe try the catwalk!

That hawk fan in their autopsy thread calling Goodes a grub and a sniper should take a look at players within their own footy club, Osborne for one plays the man....they clearly haven't got over the fact that we beat them in the GF!

Just footy tribalism, if they come flood our board with it then its stupid, but they can think what they like over there

Jessie White should go to a club going through a rebuild phase, I actually think he'd thrive there - the swans aren't working for him.

When it mattered most, in the first ten minutes of the game, our defenders were trying to come to terms with the fact that our midfielders & forwards were refusing to put defensive pressure on their direct opponents. Hence the ball came into an open forward line with the kickers having all the time in the world to gift wrap it for their forwards. Before we knew it, we were down by 30 points in the blink of an eye. Anyone who went to the 2011 final against the hawks would be excused for thinking they were watching a replay of that game.

Take the first goal that Buddy kicked for instance. That scenario was Teddy's worst nightmare. It happened to him twice in the GF. Buddy is going to cut up & dice ANY player in the competition when it comes to turning onto his left foot & pulling the trigger shooting for goal. He got lucky on this occasion, such is his lottery like strike rate.
None of his 3 goals was from winning a marking contest. His second goal was from a defensive punch that fell in his lap front & square. His third was when he broke through two questionable attempts at tackling. So Teddy beat Buddy in marking contests. Grundy had to deal with watching his own man & also giving Teddy a helping hand with Buddy.
Our intensity was way down & we were second to the ball. They physically targeted Kennedy, Jack & O'Keefe in that first ten minutes & no one else answered the challenge until Goodesy went in the middle & totally intimidated the Hawk midfielders winning the ball at will. But how long can Goodes do that for.

Jude struggled early & McGlynn was not seen until the second half.

Our defenders were actually terrific considering but the lack of upfield pressure was damning.

I'm no fan of Jesse White but at least he contested well in the ruck. He could have had two goals to his name. He pretty much did more than I expected from him. There will be no wholesale changes to our lineup. There never is. Perhaps Mummy will come in for White if fit. Mattner may be struggling with a niggle as he was subbed off. Lamb deserves another go unless he goes back for match fitness. Walsh is the only other one that may be given a game should the coaches choose to reward him for his good form & patience in the twos.

Goodes cleared contact Gibson - Goodes making legit attempt to kick the ball

Duryea cleared contact on McGlynn - was attempting to smother kick and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball.
The 2nd one is laughable, he left the ground and was in no way trying to smother the kick IMHO.

^^ luke darcy wont be happy with that, he was all over it on the telecast.. compared it to a soccer leg chop or something and it would be a direct send off. nobody else backed him up on the night. wonder what hes saying now about it! i dont like luke darcy.

Goodes cleared contact Gibson - Goodes making legit attempt to kick the ball

Duryea cleared contact on McGlynn - was attempting to smother kick and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball.
The 2nd one is laughable, he left the ground and was in no way trying to smother the kick IMHO.

Trust a fan of the AFL Swans to say that. What a lack of footy knowledge. Vlad Dimwitriou has it in for the Hawks because they didn't select him enough, and he'll do anything in his power to stymie their premiership campaign. That's why Hawthorn have such a terrible record at the tribunal, particularly over the last couple of weeks.

The 2 losses we have had this year after the game it has been same the excuses by the playing group and coaches not hard enough at the contest not enough tackles ball use, lazy players blah blah. Last year we hardly seen any of the above acts even when we lost against pies and hawks, cats we played good swans footy and just got beat and still walked of the ground with our heads high. Any one think winning the flag a few players have thought i got one now it doesn't matter if i don't get another one. How could the players not get pumped up about playing the HAWKS on the big stage and CATS in front of the home ground so how does the above acts happen I don't understand. Last year we were pretty much top of the stat sheet in all of them acts. Should we be worried THOUGHTS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's still only early days, so it's a little hard at this stage to be pointing fingers etc. Our midfield/backline is currently a former shadow of it self. It's clear we're in a form slump, all good teams enter a form slump at one stage. The real question is how we bounce back from this form slump? In the long term, our side will dramatically improve, with the inclusions of LRT, Tippet and Shaw. Immediately fixing most of our problems in terms of Key forward, rebounding defender and KPD. The next month of football is critical, playing against Freo, Pies, Bombers and Adelaide. IMO most of those games are 50/50s when we're playing well, let alone in a form slump. Again IMO I don't particularly think the players have lost there hunger/desire, especially the younger ones. Hannebery/Parker/Rampe seem to be in career best form. It seems that we're carrying a few too many out of formers at the moment. Reid, Mumford and Mattner to just name a couple. You can't really blame our backline for being in the shambles it's in at the moment, AJ, LRT and Shaw are all missing. I have faith in the Swannies, we are the raining premiers after all.

The 2 losses we have had this year after the game it has been same the excuses by the playing group and coaches not hard enough at the contest not enough tackles ball use, lazy players blah blah. Last year we hardly seen any of the above acts even when we lost against pies and hawks, cats we played good swans footy and just got beat and still walked of the ground with our heads high. Any one think winning the flag a few players have thought i got one now it doesn't matter if i don't get another one. How could the players not get pumped up about playing the HAWKS on the big stage and CATS in front of the home ground so how does the above acts happen I don't understand. Last year we were pretty much top of the stat sheet in all of them acts. Should we be worried THOUGHTS

Because um its football and shit happens :p

It's still only early days, so it's a little hard at this stage to be pointing fingers etc. Our midfield/backline is currently a former shadow of it self. It's clear we're in a form slump, all good teams enter a form slump at one stage. The real question is how we bounce back from this form slump? In the long term, our side will dramatically improve, with the inclusions of LRT, Tippet and Shaw. Immediately fixing most of our problems in terms of Key forward, rebounding defender and KPD. The next month of football is critical, playing against Freo, Pies, Bombers and Adelaide. IMO most of those games are 50/50s when we're playing well, let alone in a form slump. Again IMO I don't particularly think the players have lost there hunger/desire, especially the younger ones. Hannebery/Parker/Rampe seem to be in career best form. It seems that we're carrying a few too many out of formers at the moment. Reid, Mumford and Mattner to just name a couple. You can't really blame our backline for being in the shambles it's in at the moment, AJ, LRT and Shaw are all missing. I have faith in the Swannies, we are the raining premiers after all.
Yer your probly right need to come out 3/4 if we wanna make top 4 I think

dermie getting ready to bag goods out on the radio

Basically says he lacks courage, wanted to intentionally hurt Gibson, should have been out for 4 weeks but the AFL are protecting him, but when Franklin diamond cut Otten into the ground last week it was only free kick worthy, the usual Hawthorn BigFooty bullshit:rolleyes:

Basically says he lacks courage, wanted to intentionally hurt Gibson, should have been out for 4 weeks but the AFL are protecting him, but when Franklin diamond cut Otten into the ground last week it was only free kick worthy, the usual Hawthorn BigFooty bullshit:rolleyes:
Says the bloke who stood on another players head with his screw in stops.:rolleyes: Despise Brereton that much would love to have the opportunity to plant my absoloute best right on his chin.

Says the bloke who stood on another players head with his screw in stops.:rolleyes: Despise Brereton that much would love to have the opportunity to plant my absoloute best right on his chin.

Biggest dog act I've seen on a football field, if that was in the wrong spot Tallis would have lost site in an eye and it saddens me it occurred in a swans jumper and regardless it was a kid of their own the Hawks fans give him a pass.

Biggest dog act I've seen on a football field, if that was in the wrong spot Tallis would have lost site in an eye and it saddens me it occurred in a swans jumper and regardless it was a kid of their own the Hawks fans give him a pass.

Dermie put no weight on Tallis at all he was just playing up for the cameras, he was more a tv star at that stage of his career than a footballer Ive seen many, many more worse dog acts than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back