Hird gone - Egan interim coach, Little gone after WADA appeal. TROLLS WILL BE CARDED

Remove this Banner Ad

Real concern about player exodus now.

Why would any of these guys want to stick around after what has happened. The board and chief have been fighting with a wet lettuce leaf.

No player in their right mind would stick around. Miracle if we can hold these guys together.
Hopefully for your sake they follow Crameri and head to the dogs.

I agree with Ang Postecoglou (or he agrees with me). It's impossible to judge him as a coach with all this WADA crap. Absolutely. But I can see how it could be a circuit breaker even though I'm not sure I agree with it.

Hope he pays out on the AFL and causes a massive furore.
I think this will continue and now I've heard that tge WADA decision is now held over into 2016?!? DO Something AFL. Surely they have a duty of care to the players.

Seems like people are happy for new coach, gut the playing list and bottom 4 for next 5 years.

WOW.
Think of how we were playing at the start of the year, under Hird, without the SALADA cloud hanging over the players heads. We were awesome, and we didn't have a pre-season under most of the players' belts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with Ang Postecoglou (or he agrees with me). It's impossible to judge him as a coach with all this WADA crap. Absolutely. But I can see how it could be a circuit breaker even though I'm not sure I agree with it.

Hope he pays out on the AFL and causes a massive furore.

I pray to almighty Allah that he cuts loose. James has said he'll put his side out there eventually, it's all I've got left for season 2015. image.jpg

Robbo on 360 reckons this could break the club
He just wants a story.

The club will endure, simply because there is no other option. Too many contracts and too much money in place for us to fall over. We could be terrible for the next ten years. But we'll endure. And we'll get back to the top. It'll happen.

Great post Bunk I want to respond to a few parts if that's ok.

- what I hope all non Essendon people got a glimpse of today is just what James Hird means to Essendon. It's such a rare story in modern footy. He was born Essendon - like us, he grew up Essendon - like us. Unlike us he actually went on to live the dream we all had... he played for Essendon. And didn't just play, he became our greatest player in living memory. Of course he was welcomed back with open arms and defended at every turn. He's one of us - not just a player or coach, but one of US. A supporter. That's so rare in today's footy. All clubs have stalwarts, but few of even them are through and through from the moment they arrive on earth. It's hard to think of any who have literally a lifetime devotion to their club and go on to combine it with such peerless service. He's red and black through and through, and always will be.

This 100%. I've had my reservations about a few things Hird has done along the journey. Not happy about his salary causing the break up of a premiership list, not happy about his injury performance in 01 GF. I also didn't look forward to the the negative style of footy he said he would bring when he spoke about Lyon as his favourite coach and Sydney as his most respected team.

However, despite all this he's a mad Essendon man. He put everything into this job and never had much of an apprenticeship because he could not bring himself to work at another club. I imagine it would feel like going home to a different wife and kids for him. That is something that many in this modern industry, that has gotten so far removed from the tribalism we all feel, were deeply suspicious of. Yes they wanted him to go away to take some of the ASAGA attention away from the airways, but they also wanted him to fail from the outset. It would not do if a one club fanatic had success in running a footy team. They want bland numbers men who change clubs like we change shirts. Kudos to Jerry Seinfeld.

Caro's relentless attack on the club is very much about that. We put in Hird as coach, had Evans as chairman and Watson as captain. We also got Thompson back. She also relentlessly attacks McGuire and Brayshaw, two men who are supporters first and AFL men second.

- as for the man himself, I said it at the time and I still believe it: his biggest error occurred in August 2013 when he submitted himself to a process he didn't believe in, pled guilty to things he didn't accept guilt over, and accepted his AFL suspension. He never accepted what he signed up to, that was clear. In essence, he tried to have it both ways. Do what he had to do to remain our coach (sell himself out against his beliefs) and eventually prevail, and also (not so) subtly stand up for himself and put his case publicly. The simple fact is: life isn't perfect. You can't always have it all. You can't always have it both ways. Sometimes you have to make a difficult decision that you don't want to make. The important thing is you remain true to yourself and what you believe in when you rest your head at night. He didn't. He should never have agreed to that deal. He should never have withdrawn his court action. It's what he believed in, and it would have cost him his job. He probably saw it as quitting. It wouldn't have been. It was simply staying true to yourself though the heavens fall. Half measures avail us nothing. It availed him nothing. It got him two more years of pain, the torturous prospect of not being able to speak freely - which I'm sure still stands with a pay "settlement", and the same eventual result - he's not our coach. I would hope he's learned a lesson, one we should all remember.

I agree with you 100%. He had the backing of the supporter base and if the board tried to move on him they would have been hung drawn and quartered. The AFL I imagine would have shown as much backbone as they did against Reid and just continued to resort to snide remarks in Caro articles.

It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

He was forever compromised by this deal and he should have followed up his court action with regular defamation suits against the press, it worked for Hockey! He could have gotten the players to also. I think the club could have stood up to all punishment until the SAGA was finished, which it still aint. I really think they could have kept the band together at that stage and kept all draft picks. Any adverse fixturing could have also been challenged in court.

- as for this club and those who run it: enough. The good old boys on the board. The coterie members. Enough. They've passed the club around amongst each other for a decade and completely stuffed it. They have shown themselves to be utterly shambolic and incompetent. There needs to be a spill of the board and I hope to god people are able to see it and get off their arse to vote. Maybe with the much loved Hird out of the picture it'll be harder for the ******s to tug heartstrings and cloud an issue as they did at the last board election. Time we got competent people back and became successful again.

While I'm not up to date with coteries I do hope we get some of the best men to turn around the footy department. My fantasy is that Worsfold replaces Craig and Clarkson replaces Hird.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hird gone - Egan interim coach, Little gone after WADA appeal. TROLLS WILL BE CARDED

Remove this Banner Ad

Back