Hodge and Sammy

Hodge or Mitch's Career?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I voted Sammy simply because I feel he's played consistently at a high level longer than Hodge and had less injuries. Also coz he can kick off both feet as good as the other.

They are both superstars though. Would love to watch them for another 10 years.

I voted Hodge in the end, purely because of the 'one-club' nature of his career. And even then it was less by choice on Sammy's part that his career was 2 clubs.

I thought for that reason alone should be Sam. I thought he took one for the team, instead of guys like Bruest etc be effected, he decided to move for the team, otherwise he had a contract and did not need to. That is the sad reality. I have no doubt effected players as well. He should have stayed this year and both Hodge/Mitchell should have retired this year, if that is what club wanted them to do. Yes, I do agree that in big games Hodge with his physicality was an edge over Sam, but Sam given the time and space was an architect.

Head says Mitchell.
Heart says Hodge.

It's not fair to compare, combined they were the heart and soul of our club for well over a decade. Both of them gave their best for the club and then stepped aside for the next generation when their time was up, couldn't have asked for more from either of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voted Sammy purely to even the numbers as of my vote he is 2 down… we need to have a 50/50 split for these two absolute Champions of The Hawthorn Football Club

Hodgey' ledership can't be under-estimated. Would have voted Sammy in a flash last year but, perhaps stupidly, it has taken him leaving and watching a bunch of kids try and learn a new game plan, for me to see how hugely influential Hodgey is in getting Clarko's plans across to his players.

Clarko is number one out of all three and if between Hodgey and Sammy I now vote Hodgey because I reckon Clarko's genius would not have fully worked without an onfield leader barking out instructions

I bloody love Sammy but I've changed my mind this year on this question

I'm willing to pick, I love them both but gotta go with Hodge.

Don't get me wrong, Sammy was our superstar - he was the week in, week out performer. But Hodgey was and is the heart and soul of the club, had down weeks but always performed on the biggest stage of them all. Only player to merit Norm Smith votes in 4 winning Grand Finals, winning two.

I'm willing to pick, I love them both but gotta go with Hodge.

Don't get me wrong, Sammy was our superstar - he was the week in, week out performer. But Hodgey was and is the heart and soul of the club, had down weeks but always performed on the biggest stage of them all. Only player to merit Norm Smith votes in 4 winning Grand Finals, winning two.
Mitch gets us to the big dance but Hodgey is the one dancing

The Norm Smith argument is invalid. Of their four premierships, Mitchell could easily have taken the Norm in two of them. He featured heavily in the votes for three of them and should have earnt votes in 2008 for decking Ablett on 3 QT.

Mitchell outperformed Hodge in the PCM voting in almost every season. Not too shabby at all.

Hodge on the other hand decked swallow. So difficult to choose.

Both huge for us, Mitchell was so reliable week in week out and Hodge is the best caption I've seen in the afl and stands up in the big games.
Sam+Mitchell+Tg7AxV36HN0m.jpg

Hodge.

You're right! Hodge makes a great caption.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge and Sammy

Back