Hodge vs. Mitchell Hawthorn captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Schiall

Debutant
Apr 17, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Very interested to see what people think in regards to Hawthorn's upcoming captaincy issue. Numerous times this year the playing group have thrown their support behind Vandenberg, so it seems as though for the time being he will remain as captain. However, the next captain issue is one that is raised often. After Hodge's superb game on Friday night, many people have been very impressed with his style and I suppose the issue is raised once again, who will captain Hawthorn next - Mitchell or Hodge (or both?).

Many see positives in Hodge's country style personality. A bloke's bloke, Hodge leads by example much in the mould of Voss and the like. He's tough as nails, hard at and approachable. When teammates see Hodge's attitude and toughness for the ball they feel compelled to follow suit. Mitchell is also very appealing though, with his classy style, clear cut approach and is very well spoken. Both would offer exceptional qualities and I believe it is very hard to split the pair at the moment.

Both would make good captains, I'd probably give Hodge the nod but it'd be close.

Let's just hope they don't go for some kind of feeble co-captain set up like so many clubs these days. Show the faith in one bloke and back him in. To the Hawks credit, they did this with Vandenburg and continue to back him through a rough trot so I think they'll show the required brass and pick a solo captain to take over from Richie when his time comes.

Hodge vs. Mitchell would be one of the toughest choices to make IMO.

If there ever was a case for Co. Captains this would be it, because choosing one you miss out a little on something to other would offer.

If I HAD to choose I'd give it to Hodge because he's more vocal on the field and is a natural leader, but Sam is professional, brilliant with the media, and leads by example on and off the field.

Has to be Co-Captains.... or is that a weak option?

I don't think co-captains is weak, however I do believe that which ever one isn't picked captain will excel greatly. Either one, if they pick just one captain, whichever doesn't get it I feel will go on to become a genuinly elite player of the comp. That's not to say they aren't elite already, don't come on here and bag me for comments I just feel that one will really excel without the added pressure.

if it was up to me, i say hodge cause he seems to have a better "face" for the club kind of thing going. good charisma, great player, good leader.

not shy in front of the camera and already got like a regular interview going at before the game cause i seen him on a few times...

If there ever was a case for Co. Captains this would be it, because choosing one you miss out a little on something to other would offer.

If I HAD to choose I'd give it to Hodge because he's more vocal on the field and is a natural leader, but Sam is professional, brilliant with the media, and leads by example on and off the field.

Has to be Co-Captains.... or is that a weak option?[/quote]

See Saints. Weak decision. They are just saying, Reiwoldt is a great player, make him captain, despite his mental weaknesses. Sook, cryboy etc. No need to go down this line if you have a solid captain. It will be Hodge.

hawthorn board. or open the discussion a bit.

Who should be the next captain at

Carlton

Melbourne

Port

Geelong
hawks = hodge (vanderberg is not a good captain nor player but our cap aint that flash at the moment)

carlton = stevens is helping out young guys while injured clear leader

melbourne = brad green

port adelaide = s burgoyne or surgeon

hawks = hodge (vanderberg is not a good captain nor player but our cap aint that flash at the moment)

carlton = stevens is helping out young guys while injured clear leader

melbourne = brad green

port adelaide = s burgoyne or surgeon

I disagree with you.

Carlton- Stevens/murphy either one will be great

Geelong- Jimmy Bartel

melbourne- Brock Mclean

Port Adelaide- Chad Cornes

What makes you say Vanders is not a good captain? Being a captain of a club is not about natural skill but about leadership when the work in pre season and on the track is being done. Its about bonding the playing group together to have one goal and one understanding of their direction.

This is what Sam Mitchell said about Vanders on Monday Night when asked " Why is he such a good Captain?"

"With out Vanders we would be no where near where we are as a playing group.
The coaches, the footy department and the administrators have done a great job in where the direction of the footy club is so far but the playing group has been bonded together and bought into that just all through Vanders.
At the start he was the only one who really understood the vision of where we wanted to go and how hard it was go to be and what it was going to take and through his leadership in making the rest of the players buy into it and the amount of respect he got with in the group I think all the players would never now doubt anything that anyone else said or any decisions that anyone makes because if its got the support of a guy like Richard Vandenberg then who am I to question it and that's the type of leader Richard Vandenberg is."

Has to be Co-Captains.... or is that a weak option?

What he said^^^.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of left field, but what about Campbell Brown?
As for other sides,
Port Adelaide, Chad Cornes - Just to really rub it in to his old man...
Bulldogs, Gia - Footscray born and bred, gun.
Carlton...Got to be Waite. Father-son (even though that hasn't worked this time around), great player.
Cats... Got to be Ablett Junior. Champion, makes his team mates walk taller.

Out of left field, but what about Campbell Brown?
As for other sides,
Port Adelaide, Chad Cornes - Just to really rub it in to his old man...
Bulldogs, Gia - Footscray born and bred, gun.
Carlton...Got to be Waite. Father-son (even though that hasn't worked this time around), great player.
Cats... Got to be Ablett Junior. Champion, makes his team mates walk taller.

It's a wonderful point you make, because I think it's an enormous trait to have. All the great captains have always had this quality, they make people around them want to go harder at the footy because teammates can see just how much the captain wants it and wants to win. For this reason I believe Hodge will get the nod, though you still need to acknowledge Mitchell's attributes and I think thats what makes this decision so tough.

I can't believe fans are wanting to see this co-captain stuff continue!

To me, the Hawthorn captaincy has been one of the best handled positions in football, they've made a gutsy call appointing Vandenberg and Crawford was for the most part an excellent skipper. If they are going to replace Vandenberg, after all the hoopla his appointment has created it'd be a shame to see them opt for one of footy's biggest cop-outs the co-captain.

When the Eagles appointed Benny Cousins and Dean Kemp co-captains for 2001, the universe aligned against the club, ended Kemp's career within months and propelled us into the clubs worst ever season.

BEWARE HAWTHORN! BEWARE THE CO-CAPTAIN! ;)

I don't understand how people can continue to say that Vandenberg isn't a good captain. Fair enough he's not the best player at the club, that doesn't mean he isn't a good captain. None of us know exactly what goes on at each club every day/week so it's ridiculous to make such stupid statements like the one above :rolleyes:

I don't understand how people can continue to say that Vandenberg isn't a good captain. Fair enough he's not the best player at the club, that doesn't mean he isn't a good captain. None of us know exactly what goes on at each club every day/week so it's ridiculous to make such stupid statements like the one above :rolleyes:

A captain is measured by a number of factors

in no order

Ability to talk to media
Ability to lead from the front on field (skill etc)
Inspiration to fellow players
Ability to teach the younger players
etc etc

for the most of us - we really only get to see the first 1 or 2 in action

the rest only really the club and players would know

Vanders doesn't stack up in the skill department - but it does seem evident he stacks up in the other areas - otherwise he wouldn't be captain

When the Eagles appointed Benny Cousins and Dean Kemp co-captains for 2001, the universe aligned against the club, ended Kemp's career within months and propelled us into the clubs worst ever season.

I kind of thought that it wasn't too bad an option in that particular case, Kemp wasn't going to hang around that much longer, may as well ease Cousins into the role and allow Kemp to utilise his experience. I think the reason why the season went down the gurgler was due to other variables.

However, likely the Hawks will go the longer option with their next choice, hence it would be a cop-out to go with two. I don't Brisbane are being particularly inspired at the moment.

I can't believe fans are wanting to see this co-captain stuff continue!

To me, the Hawthorn captaincy has been one of the best handled positions in football, they've made a gutsy call appointing Vandenberg and Crawford was for the most part an excellent skipper. If they are going to replace Vandenberg, after all the hoopla his appointment has created it'd be a shame to see them opt for one of footy's biggest cop-outs the co-captain.

Agree :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge vs. Mitchell Hawthorn captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back