How do we open Adelaide Oval?

Remove this Banner Ad

Or Port Adelaide are writing cheques their bank account can not pay.

Let's see if this marketing results in a profit. If we don't, I hope serious questions are asked if our administration.

They are still in their spend money to make money phase, and doing it well, but they are not going to keep it up once they enter their actually trying to make a profit phase.

Project a successful image and hope the support follows, will it work? Probably if the on field stuff keeps working.

They haven't turned things around yet though, it's a much more long term thing than they would have people believe, they have the cheapest membership in the AFL, will they stay when the prices have to go up, even if form drops? I bet their cost of acquiring members is a lot higher to. The big MCG celebration when they announced their Renault sponsorship which was only actually half a sponsorship because a year later they live streamed an even bigger event for the second half of a major sponsor are both examples of making something look far better than the reality.

Good on them for doing what they are doing, because it's more than a lot of other clubs in similar situations. But we are two clubs in different phases, that said there is stuff they are doing that we should be in a position to do equally as well but were not. However if they were 0 - 3 their supporters would probably be finding a lot wrong with the stuff they did last week to.

Last edited:

What did they do well today?

I was in a corporate area where the wrong information was printed on the tickets; for two pretty significant things, and they sold GA tickets to the area. Moronic.

I went last week, it was amazing - today was shit.

If they actually did something worthy of credit, they'd get it - but they haven't.
Mate, that is a Ticketek problem, not something you can blame the club on there.

Maybe - as we all suspect - we have absolutely no money to spend on anything good. Staff, t shirts, players, coloured smoke... all luxuries out of reach.

Just on the coloured smoke, I imagine that our marketing "team" sat around the table thinking of things that would engage/excite the members for the pregame.

Someone obviously thought of "smoke" as the players run out, you would think that someone may have thought "gee if we are going to have smoke, lets have it in the team colours". It really does seem that basic. Yeh its no that big a deal but it could have easily being a lot better.

And I think you are on to something about how are funds are low, it already cost VB the season using weight sleds from a 70's gym - todays weight "sleds" are Velcro weight bags - no sharp metal edges on the training track.

Well you are inferring that I'm 1. A port troll 2. Using a second account on here. I'm certainly not here to argue with anyone... Geez

I'm not sure of one thing they did today which was so great.. :confused:
The club song given a personalised rendition, the 19 flag going around..?
No club song when the team ran out?
Umm.. Umm..

I know that 19 flag got me excited, only 19 games of this rubbish to sit through after today..
I liked that electronic version of the flag waving on those moving sponsor banners...

I'm surprised they didn't put Trigg's face on the screens after we get a goal.
Like I've said before, This is the worst I've felt about our club. Words can't describe how bad it was. On and off the field!! It just doesn't seem real anymore!

I see that Collingwood debuted their new pre-game entertainment... A funk squad style hip hop dance troop, about 10 years too late to jump on that trend.

They have no lack of money, I think it must be very hard to entertain a football stadium with anything other than a game of football.

I'm a fan of not doing much, but do that right.

On that baby Claud the Crow stuff though, didn't see it but they were sick or disadvantaged kids, the club has worked with a charity on that one to give them an experience so I'm not going to hold that against the club like some have.
I didn't realise that, bit hard to criticise them on that then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port's pre-game >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> our pre-game. We couldn't even run out to the team song and used that song that's been thrashed by the A-League instead.

The singing of the club song by the chick earlier made it sound like a Christmas carol.

I liked that electronic version of the flag waving on those moving sponsor banners...
Yeah the use of the electronic boards etc was fine, the flock of crows going across them was good..

It wasn't just kids, everyone seemed to like and be surprised we had something like the crow after goals as it's usually stuff that's all nice/lame..
Thankfully some stupid rubbish like the crow meter are gone..
Give us back our football experience without prompts!!

The Bulldogs had the idea of everyone going "woof woof" after a goal back in the 90's. They even had the dog noise playing over the PA after a goal. Tried to get it to catch on but it never did and they dropped it.

We're twenty years behind Footscray...

I agree the marketing was somewhat underwhelming, but at the same token I am not sure what I want. Maybe less is more.

I think we really have been dealt a dud hand with the draw. Didn't get the first showdown, next was a Saturday day game, after that GWS. Should've made a big play for a Saturday or Friday night.

If I was to make a bold marketing move it would somehow try to embrace the colour red. Port embraced their 3rd colour teal, who would've thought?
they should have gone black

blackout crowds look great IMO. and most of their merch is black anyway. would have looked much better.

Do kids pay to go to the games? Are you a child?

By kids I mean kids under 10. 14 year old me would have been cringing at that abomination.

Do parents support their children in what they want to do and enjoy doing? Are children at the games?

14 year old you sounds like a bit of an insecure young man.

The Bulldogs had the idea of everyone going "woof woof" after a goal back in the 90's. They even had the dog noise playing over the PA after a goal. Tried to get it to catch on but it never did and they dropped it.

We're twenty years behind Footscray...

Na, the AFL made them remove it.

It was catching on but it was the AFL who made them stop.

cooney can you remember this and give us some more information.

You're all being drama queens. It was an okay opening day. We play footy. We didn't do that properly and need to get better.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do we open Adelaide Oval?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back