How do West Coast always bounce back so quickly as a club ???

Remove this Banner Ad

129044826483181432.jpg

Its called resources. Along with collingwood they
are the most well equipped club in the league.

Yes and no

I had a chance to walk around West Coast's facilities the other week

Aside from the pool - the facilities would be close to the worst in the league.

The space is cramped and could be a hell of a lot better. The problem being - until the future of the new stadium and subi is decided - there's no point upgrading.

Yes and no

I had a chance to walk around West Coast's facilities the other week

Aside from the pool - the facilities would be close to the worst in the league.

The space is cramped and could be a hell of a lot better. The problem being - until the future of the new stadium and subi is decided - there's no point upgrading.

Yes, Nisbett says that they are waiting to get some clarity on the location of new stadium then they will spend heavily on facilities. Apparently they have been checking out the top facilities of sporting teams overseas to see what is the cutting edge as such.

Didn't see that game. Still think the overall improvement this season relates to the centre square work, more than anything else.

To a degree. Even when we sucked it wasn't like we were losing the clearances 70/30 each match - not that those we won were necessarily top quality.

A large part of our improvement has come from increased defensive intensity, particularly forward of centre.

To a degree. Even when we sucked it wasn't like we were losing the clearances 70/30 each match - not that those we won were necessarily top quality.

A large part of our improvement has come from increased defensive intensity, particularly forward of centre.
I don't think you won clearances as brilliantly as you've done this year in previous ones. Some of the combinations yesterday were the best your side has done since West Coast 2006.

The depth of injuries to key players over the past two years is not recognised by the media so our improvement looks a surprise.

Also unnoticed has been our emerging game plan which has not stood out because we had kids making errors under pressure.

Put together quality experienced playesr being fit and kids with more experience in a highly professional club that is well resourced and you get success.

What the management can take great credit for is the major cultural change that has also been implemented over this period.

Current success has been achieved witout a single hand out fom the AFL by a club that returns huge profits to the community.

eagles definitely getting more "Clean" ball at the clearances and centre breaks. Makes a huge difference when Cox is dominating again, putting it down the throat of the mnids who are delivering it lace out more regularly to the forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you won clearances as brilliantly as you've done this year in previous ones. Some of the combinations yesterday were the best your side has done since West Coast 2006.

Yesterday was the exception more than the rule. Some of the clearance work between Cox/NN & Shuey/LeCras/Kerr was just outstanding.

Typically in the last 2-3 years on the rare occasions we did win a clean clearance from the centre the ball would go long inside 50 then be in the hands of an opposition forward at the other end 3 or 4 possessions later. That is not happening nearly as much in 2011.

If we can replicate yesterday's efforts regularly against strong opposition then we're well on the way to becoming a good side.

The list itself was never too bad it's just that nobody was reaching anywhere close to their potential recently besides lecras.

Cox is now back to the best ruckman in the game, embley in great form on one wing, rosa in great form on the other, heaps of run in our team and forward pressure from players like darling, kennedy and nicoski is 10 times what players like ash hansen and ben mckinley could ever produce.

Smart coaching, playing a game to suit the players, not creating a gameplan hoping your players fit the mould.

We've been quite lucky with the injuries as well.

Money money money moooney...... MOOOOOOONEY

No doubt the WA government have noticed a trend or something in the budget, when the Eagles do well, people in WA drink/spend more therefore boosting the economy, so the WA government alone supports the team whether it be financially or in the way where sports cars get left outside player's houses with a card saying "To Dale" "From Eddie"

Money money money moooney...... MOOOOOOONEY

No doubt the WA government have noticed a trend or something in the budget, when the Eagles do well, people in WA drink/spend more therefore boosting the economy, so the WA government alone supports the team whether it be financially or in the way where sports cars get left outside player's houses with a card saying "To Dale" "From Eddie"

yeah nah.....money in my opinion is overstated. Its helps no doubt but its more about culture and attitude.

If you look at the last 5 years I would say (both in terms of how well they are going, how good or bad a pickup they were given their draft pedigree, and how long they have been at the club) its actually a pretty mixed bag.

I agree, I did a similar thing in a thread about our drafting a while back and came to pretty similar conclusions. Some of the top 25 picks we have like, Masten, Ebert (both barely best 22 atm), Swift (doesn't look like he will make it to me), Notte (delisted) were real wasted opportunities to access top end talent.

The depth of injuries to key players over the past two years is not recognised by the media so our improvement looks a surprise.

Yes indeed. I said many times over the last couple of years, we won't know how good WC are till Shuey, Kerr, Cox, Glass etc are back. Don't understand why the media are so short sighted about things like that.

It will be interesting to see if you can sustain the high intensity press style for a whole year. Essendon have already bitten the dust playing it and Collingwood / Freo haven't even started yet. Your boys look well up for it and haven't shown signs of fatigue yet.

If the attacking team can properly set up the zone, there generally wouldn't be more than 15 metres/yards between players, and so the player kicking out has to either pinpoint a pass, or bomb it long outside of the 50 metre arc to a contest.

So basically, if the full back can "kick the ball to a teammate" with a proper zone in place by the opposition, he has done very well.

that's why hurns kick outs have been so valuable for us. he's not just accurate, he has a rocket boot so the ball gets to it's destination in no time really splitting opposition zones.

It will be interesting to see if you can sustain the high intensity press style for a whole year. Essendon have already bitten the dust playing it and Collingwood / Freo haven't even started yet. Your boys look well up for it and haven't shown signs of fatigue yet.

the press has dropped off for us in recent weeks as well so it will be interesting to see how we adapat. it is a very very high intensity style of playing football.

Comes down to a few things:
- Money
- Biggest home ground advantage in football
- Cox, Kerr and Glass returning from injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do West Coast always bounce back so quickly as a club ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back