How will the 2016 Federal Election pan out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coalition will win because Labor keep fighting the wrong battles and can't get decent policies. If Labor got their act together they could win easy, but sticking with climate change taxes and fighting the GST increase are bad policies that won't see them win.

this has been most of the last 20 years of federal elections in reality. Labor never seem to be able to pick the right leader either.

i'm expecting a Turnbull led landslide in NSW/QLD with little changes anywhere else tbh. WA Liberals will lose at least 2 seats which is long overdue.

Since Christmas the government has sacked two ministers for impropriety, been found to have lied about the removal of aid workers from the detention gulags, and now is being accused of trying to exert editorial control over the ABC.

Detention gulags. Yep, you really have your finger on the pulse of the average Australian there Gough.

The thing is..those are the policies of difference with the Coalition.

Most people on the street do not want a GST increase under any circumstance - hence they would vote for the party that is promising that.
But we need a GST increase to be able to afford to spend more. If we had 15% GST like Hewson wanted to do from the beginning we would be a whole lot better off. It's not just bumping up taxes, they need to reduce the tax rates to give money back to the people too. If Labor was in power they would look at wanting to increase the GST too. It's easy to oppose in opposition, but in power it's ok.

But we need a GST increase to be able to afford to spend more. If we had 15% GST like Hewson wanted to do from the beginning we would be a whole lot better off. It's not just bumping up taxes, they need to reduce the tax rates to give money back to the people too. If Labor was in power they would look at wanting to increase the GST too. It's easy to oppose in opposition, but in power it's ok.

Crap. The GST is regressive. It mainly hits families & the less well off.

Whatever they do, we must not have a GST on fresh food, health & education. The negative health outcome would be disastrous in the medium to long term.

Crap. The GST is regressive. It mainly hits families & the less well off.

Whatever they do, we must not have a GST on fresh food, health & education. The negative health outcome would be disastrous in the medium to long term.
I agree there shouldn't be a tax on fresh food, health and education. But we aren't generating enough tax now, so the best way is to increase the GST and give fair tax cuts across the board... Those earning a big wage say around $150,000 plus should be paying a greater percentage of tax because they can afford to.

I agree there shouldn't be a tax on fresh food, health and education. But we aren't generating enough tax now, so the best way is to increase the GST and give fair tax cuts across the board... Those earning a big wage say around $150,000 plus should be paying a greater percentage of tax because they can afford to.
Increase the GST?
What about families of income of $40,000 or less?
Increase the tax free base because that is what you would have to do if you want it to be fair.

Why not just bring back the carbon tax? Huge influx of funds for the government, and a better environmental outcome comes with it.

Yes and Abbott ran the greatest of fear campaigns to get rid of it. My electricity price went up.

Just start taxing the multi nationals and tax the family trusts, having mortgages on two or more properties, claiming all fringe benifts etc. No ones got the guts though.

How many seats will the Coalition win in Victoria as opposed to Labor? And which Victorian seat could prove crucial in deciding who will win the election?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Increase the GST?
What about families of income of $40,000 or less?
Increase the tax free base because that is what you would have to do if you want it to be fair.
They contribute nothing financially to the country as it is now.

Precisely who do you want to pay for that ?...and why would they wish to subsidise others to an even greater extent ? How is that "fair" ?

Precisely who do you want to pay for that ?...and why would they wish to subsidise others to an even greater extent ? How is that "fair" ?
What a prat you are. You both cannot claim this and think that paying tax is subsiding other humans, rather than paying for stuff that everyone uses or that benefits everyone.

A family on $40K could easily be a single person working four days a week in a service industry that contributes financially to the country. e.g. ticket seller at a tourist attraction. And the whole point of a free market is that the govt doesn't micro-manage the economy to decide what is good for the country or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a caring person!
What have you contributed?

They never have the numbers at the beginning. He didn't challenge because he is all tip and no iceburg

No, he didn't have the numbers, but, more importantly, Liberal internal polling showed that it didn't matter whether Howard or Costello led them - they were ****ed due to WorkChoices; I know that for a fact.

Maybe he could've got the numbers, but it wouldn't have mattered, they would've lost anyway, so why usurp the leader just to walk into a slaughter that he created?

Unless Turnbull does a Mitchell Pearce, the Libs will win the next election in a canter; and the ALP knows it.

No, he didn't have the numbers, but, more importantly, Liberal internal polling showed that it didn't matter whether Howard or Costello led them - they were stuffed due to WorkChoices; I know that for a fact.

Maybe he could've got the numbers, but it wouldn't have mattered, they would've lost anyway, so why usurp the leader just to walk into a slaughter that he created?

Unless Turnbull does a Mitchell Pearce, the Libs will win the next election in a canter; and the ALP knows it.
Well that's a bit defeatist isn't it - hence the all tip and no iceburg.

More realist than defeatist.
The ALP was being crushed by Hewson when Keating decided to challenge and eventually take over. Polls are no justification for being a jellyback. The Coalition were never going to win under Howard - even without work choices, he was stale and there was a significant 'it's time' factor about the 2007 election. The least the Costello could have done for his party is challenge and try to put Rudd under pressure. You never know what could have happened - i.e. with Hewson in 93.

cliffnotes: Costello = jellyback.

Last edited:
If Labor is defeated in the election by a big margin, where does that leave Bill Shorten?

And what would it mean for Tony Abbott's chances of regaining the prime ministership-and that of his allies, namely Kevin Andrews, Eric Albetz, Cory Alberti?

New internal polling is pretty damming for Shorten, he basically has no chance of winning and given how quiet the ALP have been this week even with the Coalition giving them so great ammo he is clearly not up to the job.

Simply ALP are unelectable with Shorten as leader.

Funny I saw Shorten in the media every day this week.

Take the education stuff, where Shorten was in the Melbourne outer suburb of Wyndham Vale (Lalor - safe as houses Labor) on the first day of the school year.

2 days prior, there he was in Alice Springs, discussing petrol pricing and the impact on regional Australia.

If anything, it has been the Coalition that has been asleep.

So everything on the table did simply mean a GST increase. Tricky Turnbull.

They killed the carbon tax because it was regressive, yet pick something that will thumpnthe average household and drive us into recession. So how is he different than Abbott outside of defence.
Not at all. It meant a GST increase, and other stuff is also on the table.

If Labor is defeated in the election by a big margin, where does that leave Bill Shorten?

And what would it mean for Tony Abbott's chances of regaining the prime ministership-and that of his allies, namely Kevin Andrews, Eric Albetz, Cory Alberti?

Both of them have zero chance of being Prime Minister in the future.

Shorten is gone if he loses. Had a full term go with mostly a ******* counterpart. Will announce his resignation in the concession speech.

What the Liberal nutters get up to in the next term is less predictable. But I'm guessing sabotage. With 3 years of Government locked in they'll be vicious.

Remove this Banner Ad

How will the 2016 Federal Election pan out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back