Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Where will Geelong finish in 2024

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope that Hawkins pulls a Mooney and accepts that he is done. I worry that Scott can't make the difficult decision. Hawkins should still prepare as if he will be called up the season is unpredictable.

If Guthrie could have gotten some km done in the VFL I wanted him back in the AFL team as a defender though Humphries has since grabbed that spot.
Agree totally about the Mooney Hawkins comparison- CS I don't believe will have that issue- it really might come down to whether Neal 24 offers anything like Hawkins 09 did.

I’m just glad we’re seemingly over that mid season form slump. That was tough.

I think it was about 80% fixture based. Bit of negative variance in close games making up the other 20%.

Start of the year we beat teams we were better than (bonus win against Carlton).

Then we lost to teams better than us or around about our mark (aside from ugly loss to GC).

Then we have played teams that we are better than again we have won our last two.

Hawks have basically been the exact reverse of us with people getting carried away with their winning streak against dross before we have put them back into their place.

What a big game we have coming up.

Collingwood will be desperate. If their losing streak extends another week, their season is in serious jeopardy. It will be finals-like intensity from them.

If we can manage to win, our season will once again have some serious momentum and we can consider ourselves right in the pack contending for a top 4 spot.

With a fairly kind fixture list to follow, we may even be odds on to get a top 4 place if we are on the winners list next weekend.

What a big game we have coming up.

Collingwood will be desperate. If their losing streak extends another week, their season is in serious jeopardy. It will be finals-like intensity from them.

If we can manage to win, our season will once again have some serious momentum and we can consider ourselves right in the pack contending for a top 4 spot.

With a fairly kind fixture list to follow, we may even be odds on to get a top 4 place if we are on the winners list next weekend.

Pies have ended up exactly like us last year. Injuries, slow start, steadied the ship for a tilt, injuries again. End their season Geelong.

I hope that Hawkins pulls a Mooney and accepts that he is done. I worry that Scott can't make the difficult decision. Hawkins should still prepare as if he will be called up the season is unpredictable.

If Guthrie could have gotten some km done in the VFL I wanted him back in the AFL team as a defender though Humphries has since grabbed that spot.

I agree with you but i dont think hawkins will make it back from the injury in time so it will take it out of scotts hands.

Guthrie on the other hand is still best 22 but they cant play him half fit like they did last time this year. He needs vfl games first and if he runs out of time so be it.

I think we'll likely finish 6th-8th which would be a great effort considering the transitional phase our list has been in - also, any exposure to first hand finals pressure for our inexperienced youth under the guidance of our experienced veterans will be crucial for their learning and development

Hawkins lack of mobility is such a liability that as long a Neale can cover ground it is a net positive

Neale is a far better proposition than Hawkins now who at least should now know that he’s rung every last drop out of his career. We can’t be looking to give “farewell” games when we are vying for finals. Different story if we were sitting outside the 8. It is what it is. There’s a new king.

I think we'll likely finish 6th-8th which would be a great effort considering the transitional phase our list has been in - also, any exposure to first hand finals pressure for our inexperienced youth under the guidance of our experienced veterans will be crucial for their learning and development
With our draw we're likely to finish top 4, biggest tests are Pies, Dogs and Freo

I think it was about 80% fixture based. Bit of negative variance in close games making up the other 20%.

Start of the year we beat teams we were better than (bonus win against Carlton).

Then we lost to teams better than us or around about our mark (aside from ugly loss to GC).

Then we have played teams that we are better than again we have won our last two.

Hawks have basically been the exact reverse of us with people getting carried away with their winning streak against dross before we have put them back into their place.
Not as black and white as that from my pov.
A lot to do with when and where you play a team.
Both Essendon and Hawthorn, maybe in different weeks, would have fared better against us. Both have been really good in many games- Bombers on Friday pm were fantastic.
Taking these 2 wins very happily, but difficult to assess us yet until the next big 3 games (Pies, Dogs, Freo)- that should tell us and the footy world where the Cats are at.

I think we can be anywhere from 3rd to 8th. But I essentially agree with you. And hopefully our first pick, whether it’s 12 or 16, will be for for B. Smith, so any finals experience is great experience for about 1/3 of our team.

WLD%
1.Geelong1760135.6%
2.Carlton1760118.6%
3.Sydney1670129.1%
4.Brisbane Lions1571120.5%
5.Essendon1481101.0%
6.Melbourne1490105.6%
7.GWS13100107.8%
8.Port Adelaide13100103.6%
9.Fremantle12101105.8%
10.Hawthorn1211097.2%
11.Collingwood10112100.9%
12.Western Bulldogs10130103.2%
13.Gold Coast1013099.8%
14.St Kilda1013096.9%
15.Adelaide715193.6%
16.North Melbourne617074.3%
17.Richmond419067.9%
18.West Coast419065.6%
QF1: GEELONG v Brisbane Lions
QF2: Carlton v SYDNEY
EF1: Essendon v PORT ADELAIDE
EF2: MELBOURNE v GWS

SF1: BRISBANE LIONS v Port Adelaide
SF2: CARLTON v Melbourne

PF1: GEELONG v Carlton
PF2: SYDNEY v Brisbane Lions

GF: GEELONG v Sydney

Home final vs Brisbane and an easy premiershio

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as black and white as that from my pov.
A lot to do with when and where you play a team.
Both Essendon and Hawthorn, maybe in different weeks, would have fared better against us. Both have been really good in many games- Bombers on Friday pm were fantastic.
Taking these 2 wins very happily, but difficult to assess us yet until the next big 3 games (Pies, Dogs, Freo)- that should tell us and the footy world where the Cats are at.
Well the facts are:

-We've beaten the teams in 2nd, 4th, 7th and 11th.
-We lost to the teams in 6th and 8th by about a goal.
-There have been some horror performances (or more like horror quarter/halves) as well.

Conclusion: we are thereabouts. It's going to depend on a) how we close out the H&A season and b) what our form line and injury list is like in September IF we are finalists. Oh and c) how we perform under pressure if we get there.

Well the facts are:

-We've beaten the teams in 2nd, 4th, 7th and 11th.
-We lost to the teams in 6th and 8th by about a goal.
-There have been some horror performances (or more like horror quarter/halves) as well.

Conclusion: we are thereabouts. It's going to depend on a) how we close out the H&A season and b) what our form line and injury list is like in September IF we are finalists. Oh and c) how we perform under pressure if we get there.
No outright favourite this week

WLD%
1.Geelong1760135.6%
2.Carlton1760118.6%
3.Sydney1670129.1%
5.Essendon1481101.0%
6.Melbourne1490105.6%
7.GWS13100107.8%
9.Fremantle12101105.8%
10.Hawthorn1211097.2%
13.Gold Coast1013099.8%
14.St Kilda1013096.9%
15.Adelaide715193.6%
17.Richmond419067.9%
18.West Coast419065.6%

I'll have whatever you're having...

WLD%
1.Geelong1760135.6%
2.Carlton1760118.6%
3.Sydney1670129.1%
5.Essendon1481101.0%
6.Melbourne1490105.6%
7.GWS13100107.8%
9.Fremantle12101105.8%
10.Hawthorn1211097.2%
13.Gold Coast1013099.8%
14.St Kilda1013096.9%
15.Adelaide715193.6%
17.Richmond419067.9%
18.West Coast419065.6%

whats with the vague reverse troll?

Go Catters

We've definitely improved since the middle of the year. Essendon are a good team this year. They just disposed of Collingwood. And we beat them comfortably. Hawthorn may not be top 8 quality, but they were in good form before we played them.

We have looked a far cry from the side that let Port blow them away in a half or GC smash them to bits in Darwin.

We've definitely improved since the middle of the year. Essendon are a good team this year. They just disposed of Collingwood. And we beat them comfortably. Hawthorn may not be top 8 quality, but they were in good form before we played them.

We have looked a far cry from the side that let Port blow them away in a half or GC smash them to bits in Darwin.
GC in Darwin was an anomaly clearly. We are better than that and as you say have been thereabouts losing and not playing well.

If/when we click, look out

That trip to Optus is tantalising.
I fully expect us to beat WB, Crows and Eagles at home. Would be shocked if we lost to North or Saints away.

Freo in Perth could make or break Top 4... Nay. Top 2.
Two home finals is in our reach. Go there and beat the dockers for the right.

We’re playing a lot better than we were when we won 7 in a row. Team cohesion and balance is better, we’re controlling games again. We won a few of those first 7 games with efficiency and grit.

Geelong is still sixth favourite for the flag - $21

As offended as we all are, the predictions of us catastrophically missing the 8 from here are improbable with our easy run home.

From here we play 4th, 13th, 3rd, 10th, 18th, 15th, 9th, 14th, 16th. On the most pessimistic of views we win 6 of those.
😎

That trip to Optus is tantalising.
I fully expect us to beat WB, Crows and Eagles at home. Would be shocked if we lost to North or Saints away.

Freo in Perth could make or break Top 4... Nay. Top 2.
Two home finals is in our reach. Go there and beat the dockers for the right.
Don't think it's going to matter much, we're playing Carlton or Essendon week 1 in 80% of the predictors.

Top 2 is effectively useless in that case.

Don't think it's going to matter much, we're playing Carlton or Essendon week 1 in 80% of the predictors.

Top 2 is effectively useless in that case.
Lose in Perth and 4th means Sydney in Sydney.
Give me those two at the G anyday.

It matters IMO.

Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Back