Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perrottet did say today restrictions are coming back in because HCWs are having to isolate (as you mentioned). Concerning as this just doesn’t seem sustainable.
I mean it's the collision of a pandemic and the neoliberal erosion of the healthcare system.

Think of the people in hospitals that are elderly or immune compromised.

I mean it is the place where people with serious comorbidities will be, thus you can't have potentially infectious people treating patients in the wards. The only real answer is state governments and Feds buy huge stockpiles of RATs so we can change the protocols around furlough for clinician close contacts, and use rapid testing to screen people before shifts.

Last edited:
Perrottet did say today restrictions are coming back in because HCWs are having to isolate (as you mentioned). Concerning as this just doesn’t seem sustainable.
Could be just numbers of HCW contracting it via community exposure then testing positive after a shift, so making co workers “close contacts”

Do you have evidence for that claim?
Yes, that vaccinations for the 5-11 age group was delayed till January and not immediate upon regulatory approval.

Our peak demand at a 5-6 month booster interval would be March-April, which is passed the estimated peak of child age uptake for first doses.

Bring that forward two months and you have a huge surge in demand from now till the start of Feb

But that's still not sustainable, is it?
Could be worked around eg go back to all hospital hcw wearing ppe irrespective of whether they work with covid pts, return to no shared meal rooms etc. basically what my hospital ED has been doing since … maybe august. We found pretty much nil staff to staff transfer if wearing n95 and faceshield (the gown seemed to not add much)

Yes, that vaccinations for the 5-11 age group was delayed till January and not immediate upon regulatory approval.

Our peak demand at a 5-6 month booster interval would be March-April, which is passed the estimated peak of child age uptake for first doses.

Bring that forward two months and you have a huge surge in demand from now till the start of Feb
You were posting about a 3 month interval for boosters. The 5-11 age group is a separate discussion.

But that's still not sustainable, is it?
I mean no, but it's a hard problem to solve.

My answer would be a large coordinated mobilisation of state and federal resources to first publicly inform people when/how to use emergency services, max out booster capacity, shorten interval times and give all medical and aged care staff priority access plus non-punitive mandates, finally use RATs for screening, not PCR + worker furlough, to limit spread in clinical care.

You were posting about a 3 month interval for boosters. The 5-11 age group is a separate discussion.
It's not, the two are intrinsically linked.

There's no medical reason to have delayed vaccine access after approvals had been granted.

So, it's a case of availability and logistics. January is when they think the government can meet demand. If childhood vaccination has been delayed, due to supply and logistical constraints, then of course they aren't going to have the peak demand for boosters preced or overlap the peak demand for childhood vaccination.

So where are the attacks of Andrews for being on holiday during the outbreak

Scomo would have been crucified

I mean no, but it's a hard problem to solve.

My answer would be a large coordinated mobilisation of state and federal resources to first publicly inform people when/how to use emergency services, max out booster capacity, shorten interval times and give all medical and aged care staff priority access plus non-punitive mandates, finally use RATs for screening, not PCR + worker furlough, to limit spread in clinical care.
I’d add expand Telehealth- our hospital is running virtual ED to provide clinical assessment as to when someone really need to come to hospital if known covid positive. Couple this with facility for direct admission by having bed capacity (at cost of cutting heavy into non covid capacity) and this minimises ED time and ED patient and staff exposure. We were able to arrange direct transfer from ambulance to covid ward.

They can both stay/go on leave. Scomo only speaks shi* anyway. He can do it via telephone.
and Andrews only ****s up hotel quarantine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not, the two are intrinsically linked.

There's no medical reason to have delayed vaccine access after approvals had been granted.

So, it's a case of availability and logistics. January is when they think the government can meet demand. If childhood vaccination has been delayed, due to supply and logistical constraints, then of course they aren't going to have the peak demand for boosters preced or overlap the peak demand for childhood vaccination.
I meant that you haven't provided any justification for why the government should accept a 3 month interval for boosters.

You have a valid point regarding vaccine availability for 5-11 year olds. I'm not disputing that.

I meant that you haven't provided any justification for why the government should accept a 3 month interval for boosters.

You have a valid point regarding vaccine availability for 5-11 year olds. I'm not disputing that.
Because we need peak immunity to match or precede peak Omicron infections to limit strain on the health system and marginally slow spread.

The largest benefit of boosters is kind of lost if it comes months into a massive nationwide outbreak.

Also no better time to get vaccinated than during a period many will take leave.

not as bad as us
Really? NSW seeded Delta scross the rest of the country.

Melbourne just had the misfortune of being first to have a major HQ breach.

Regardless, there should have been a comprehensive federal strategy. Ceding responsibility for border and bio security to the states, who aren't equipped for such a task, was a political decision to protect Morrison, and one that cost Australia significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back