Inside 50
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The van Berlos
Ben's not braced any more
December 10, 2006 12:15am

Sunday Mail

AFTER a gruelling rehabilitaion and a few games in local ranks, Crow Ben Hudson is on the verge of his long-awaited return to AFL football. And it could be the most important season of his brief career, as JESPER FJELDSTAD reports

WE'RE at Chirnside Park in Melbourne's western suburbs, a drop punt from the Masonic centre and the nursing home, and Werribee coach Barry Prendergast is scratching his head.
He's watching Ben Hudson – a Queenslander lodging with grandmother Val across the road in Watton St – go through his first paces of training with the VFL club, and he doesn't know what to think.

He's 23, Hudson, and Prendergast doesn't know what to make of him as he watches pre-season training.

"He certainly didn't stand out at training," Prendergast recalled this week. "They'd had big raps on him up in Queensland but I thought to myself, `is there room for this bloke in VFL football?"'

Hudson, should he make it, would be some story. Here was a qualified physiotherapist working in Melbourne, having taken up the game at a senior level while at university in Queensland, and he was trying to convince hard-nosed VFL officials he was up to it.

Initially, it didn't bode well.

"I remember my first game," Hudson said. "And I copped a fair spray. Was told I was pretty ordinary, which was probably fair enough."

So Hudson would amble back to Val's house in Watton St, he and girlfriend Rita both struggle with the cold weather, and carry on trying.

He had links to the area: Uncles Jim and Phil were in a dry cleaning business in the township and his father, Bill, was a fine player in the VFL.

But that year, 2003, seemed to be petering out into oblivion.

Hudson was dispatched to the reserves, seemingly lost to senior Victorian football, until a couple of matches took Prendergast's eye.

"He just thought his way through it," Prendergast, who's now with Melbourne in the AFL, says today. "His second efforts were fantastic, just the way he competed.

"You blend that with a really good character and I thought we had something."

Prendergast was in his first year with the club, but his hunch proved correct.

At the end of the year, Hudson had not only cemented a spot in Werribee's first XVIII, but had finished second in the club best and fairest.

His rise from there was if not meteoric, one that refused to stop.

At the end of the year, Prendergast successfully cajoled him into staying while James Fantasia and his staff – notably brother Tony – asked him to nominate for the national draft.

Taken by Adelaide at No. 58, here are a couple of examples of how significant his rise had been.

Gary Ayres, after his first game: "To think that he could be sitting on a beach near Mt Gravatt in Quensland, sipping pina coladas . . ."

Or, Hudson himself: "I didn't watch it, didn't listen to it. I still don't know if it has sunk in".

FAST forward to now, and Hudson is "it" at West Lakes. And he's it when it comes to ruckmen, with his main support coming from much younger men in Ivan Maric and John Meesen (who now boards with Hudson and Rita as his career takes shape).

He has recovered from a knee reconstruction in late 2005, a casualty of a tackle in a Showdown against Port Adelaide, and turfed the knee brace he wore as he made a tentative return to football with North Adelaide in the SANFL late last year.

More significantly: Matthew Clarke has retired from the club and fellow ruckman Rhett Biglands will miss next year because of knee surgery.

But as Prendergast would have predicted, Hudson was cool and pragmatic when gazing at the responsibility ahead.

He has been busy. Everyday rehabilitation has been blended with gymnastics and work at the Repatriation Hospital; everyday concerns about his future tempered with the knowledge he created a chance out of nowhere.

That's not saying he underestimates the challenge of facing Messrs Cox, Sandilands, Everitt and Lade, but that he remains grateful for the opportunity.

"The last couple of weeks have been good," Hudson said last week.

"Got out of the (enormous) brace, which has been a good start.

"Because you're out so long, it doesn't matter what injury it is: You come back and everyone's focus is how well you recover.

"You try to block it out but getting through the first few games was the challenge more than anything else and the confidence builds from there.

"Towards the end, when the (SANFL) season was over, I was beginning to feel pretty good."

But how does he feel about heading the ruck division without the support of Clarke and Biglands?

"It's put a bit of onus on us," Hudson said. "But I don't know if I'm the No.1 – I'm just the oldest.

"We've just got to stand up and add our part every week. I don't know if we have to be standouts; we just have to contribute."

As for his own game, Hudson is grateful for the plaudits. He is a rare ruckman in his second and third efforts – a rover at ground level – but knows there's much more to fulfilling the role of the modern day ruckman.

"I've been pretty good at second efforts but that's not going to get me through," he said. "I need to be more competitive in the air."

THE thing that completes Hudson's story is not how well he's done from the days of playing while completing his degree in Queensland, but the grace with which he's handled himself.

Prendergast sums it up best: "Because he was a bit older, he didn't seem to have the s...s when he was dropped to the reserves and it stood him in good stead, both at Werribee and at Adelaide."

Hudson's not so sure. He seems to half agree.

"I probably didn't show that I had the s...s," he said. "I wasn't too happy, but I didn't show it because I knew how the system worked.

"I thought I was good to play, it was just a matter of biding my time. I just needed an opportunity.

"What you find is that a lot of the younger players who don't get their chance crack the s...s and let it be known and suffer straight.

"I'd made the move, had found some work and realised I just had to chip away at it."

Knee brace turfed, this is Hudson's time: His time to hold up the ruck hopes not only of a club, but the largest supporter base in the land.

It's a fair ask for somebody who's only played 33 games of senior football. But the thing about Hudson is this: he is just a different story.

Prendergast thinks it's a wonderful story, and it is difficult to disagree.

At 27, he is often referred to as "Young Hudson" in radio and television calls of games, even though contemporaries are considered veterans.

He strolled across from grandmother Val's house in Watton St, without reputation and fanfare, and had a shot at VFL football when most players his age had given up their dreams of an AFL career.

Hudson was already a physiotherapist, had a steady job, and scarcely considered playing at the next level. His fling with the VFL at Werribee was a flirtation with elite football.

This is his hour

Did any of you guys read McDermott's column. Does he understand the concept developing a list? He reckons the Crows will regret not being in the PSD as they are light on for rucks when there are some experienced ones available. If Meeson doesn't get a go this year I'm pretty certain he will leave next year. So getting a stop gap ruckman would be stupid as in 3 years you will have nothing. He really gets on my nerves! He doesn't know much about any of the young players (ie he thinks Tippett is a ruck), and if he was coach I reckon his teams would be eligible for the Masters Games (ie his continual promotion of Ben Hart when your youngster's need to be exposed)!

Anyway, in summing up, I think he is a knob!

Did any of you guys read McDermott's column. Does he understand the concept developing a list? He reckons the Crows will regret not being in the PSD as they are light on for rucks when there are some experienced ones available. If Meeson doesn't get a go this year I'm pretty certain he will leave next year. So getting a stop gap ruckman would be stupid as in 3 years you will have nothing. He really gets on my nerves! He doesn't know much about any of the young players (ie he thinks Tippett is a ruck), and if he was coach I reckon his teams would be eligible for the Masters Games (ie his continual promotion of Ben Hart when your youngster's need to be exposed)!

Can't disagree with that.....and it's not the first time that McDufuss has submitted an article for the same day that there is a well written, positive and balanced piece that basically contradicts his view.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, great player and captain but a knob journalist at times.

Its good to see "being good in the air" got a mention. We know his second effiort scrapping is an asset, but if he can contest the packs and even grab 8 or so marks a game in the hole across half back, that would be sweet:thumbsu:

One of the pleasures of 2007 is not going to be watching the development of the youngsters or our movement towards a premiership (although that would be nice ;)), but being able to watch Huddo every week. I miss having a good ruckman, Clarkey is a great tap ruckman, but a we all know did nothing around the ground, Huddo is our 18 possession, 8 marks and 1907 inside 50's kind of ruckman, and boy is it going to be sweet.

"It's put a bit of onus on us," Hudson said. "But I don't know if I'm the No.1 – I'm just the oldest.

"We've just got to stand up and add our part every week. I don't know if we have to be standouts; we just have to contribute."
This part really impresses me. The idea of them being a ruck team, when clearly it will be Huddo leading the way, will instill a lot of confidence into Maric and Meesen.

I mean, Huddo has already been our number one ruckman in the past when Clarke and Biglands were both fit and even though it's been a long road, I have never been more confident of a player making a successful return from a full knee reco because of his knowledge as a physio and his level headedness.

He has had a safe amount of time off and had a bit of a trot in the SANFL at the end of the season and I really look forward to him rucking and the help he will give to Maric and Meesen. If they can take a quarter of the heart of Hudson just from rucking behind him then we will have two very special ruckmen. We've already seen at AFL level that Maric is not shy of second efforts. :)

Surely he is one of the most stupid journalists going around at the moment.

He makes Rucci look like an absolute oracle of the game with his half-witted comments, and this latest article once again shows his total lack of feel for the off-field strategy of the game - as reflected in his abysmal coaching record.

IMO he could write a handbook on how to fk up a footy team without really trying but that's about where it starts and ends. :rolleyes:

FAST forward to now, and Hudson is "it" at West Lakes. And he's it when it comes to ruckmen, with his main support coming from much younger men in Ivan Maric and John Meesen (who now boards with Hudson and Rita as his career takes shape).

On the more intelligently written article, this paragraph caught my eye.

What a clever move, be it by design or something that just happened.

Hudson possesses a massive dose of determination to succed, and I expect some of that to rub off onto Meesen now that he is boarding with Huddo.

Every chance IMO that Meesen will progress in leaps and bounds this year given these circumstances in the background. :thumbsu:

On the more intelligently written article, this paragraph caught my eye.

What a clever move, be it by design or something that just happened.

Hudson possesses a massive dose of determination to succed, and I expect some of that to rub off onto Meesen now that he is boarding with Huddo.

Every chance IMO that Meesen will progress in leaps and bounds this year given these circumstances in the background. :thumbsu:

Yeah, I read the part about Meese living with huddo and thought "great move by the club, that" :thumbsu:

Hudson would be a great mentor for M&M, as he seems like a top bloke with his head firmly screwed on - the fact that he's a good player to model your game on helps too :D

I know you guys don't particulary rate Bones, but do your ruck stocks worry you? If Hudson struggles to get back into form or reinjures himself, are you guys worried? Maric has only played a handful of games and Meeson is untried. I think Maric will be a good player but he is still developing and I really haven't seen much of Meeson. I am of the opinion a good ruckman is very important to a team and if in the Crows position I would be slightly concerned. Are you?

I know you guys don't particulary rate Bones, but do your ruck stocks worry you? If Hudson struggles to get back into form or reinjures himself, are you guys worried? Maric has only played a handful of games and Meeson is untried. I think Maric will be a good player but he is still developing and I really haven't seen much of Meeson. I am of the opinion a good ruckman is very important to a team and if in the Crows position I would be slightly concerned. Are you?

I think the problem that AFC face is not giving these guys a crack at the big time. If (touch wood) Hudson goes down then a lot of responisibility falls on the shoulders of M&M. However has craigy has shown in the last two years they will simply find a way to cover it.
I personally am not worried. I think we still basically have 4 ruckman, while 3 are un experience and 2 have never played AFL we still have guys capable of rucking (remember that Meesen and Maric both Ruck for the respective SANFL sides)

while this maybe seen as a AFC can't do wrong post, I think under the circustances they have ended up with the best result possible.

A testiment to Mcdermotts stupidity is the article he wrote last week where in one paragraph he banged on about how the crows weakness last year and for some time has been the ruck, and then in the very next paragraph he is saying the crows have a made a massive mistake in not retaining clarke! But hangon Chris, wasnt Mathew Clarke one of the very ruckman that had supposedly contributed to us not having a good ruck battery? WHICH IS IT!?!?
I agree if Hudson (heaven forbid) gets injured then we will be in trouble, but the coach made the right decision in not asking Clarke to stay on or we would never develop a new, more potent Ruck division.

Slightly, but not overly.

Football is developing at many levels , yet its still the old stuff that works , and one of them is the tactics out of the middle. In junior footy if your rucks were getting beaten the coach used to tell the midfielders to rove to the opposition ruck. I can see those tactics employed if it breaks down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not concerned at all. I’ve been watching some Crows matches from 2005 and it made me realise just how good Hudson was, in terms of ruckwork and his work around the ground. His second efforts were great, always diving for lose balls and tackling and harassing the opponent. He was showing similar signs late in the season for North Adelaide. His ruckwork admittedly wasn’t great, but with a big pre-season and lots of work on getting his spring back I’m sure he’ll be back near his best in that area.

Meesen developed in leaps and bounds this year and will be ready to play AFL footy next year. He averaged over 13 hitouts per game this season and probably around 10 possessions. He was the leading ruckman for the Legs all year and his development was very promising. Maric was impressive during his games with the Crows, averaging over 9 hitouts and 6 possessions per game in only very limited game time. While with the Magpies he averaged 20 hitouts a game.

Our ruck division will be reasonably strong in 2007 as long as Hudson gets back to somewhere near his best and the youngsters continue to develop. :thumbsu:

I think it's safe to say that our ruck division is an area for concern.

With Clarke & Biglands, our ruck division had a total of 382 games experience. We knew, week in week out, what to expect.

We enter 2007 with a completely revamped ruck brigade. Hudson has 33 games to his credit, Maric has 8 (one of which he barely played, having played in the SANFL the day before), Meesen & Griffin have yet to debut.

Hudson's form in 2005 was outstanding - he was easily our best ruckman, probably since Rehn was at the height of his powers. However, he is in the process of returning from a serious knee injury. Will he ever return to the levels he achieved in 2005? Time will tell, but for now we can only hope so.

Maric continued his steady development, performing well in the few games he managed in 2006. Will he take the next step, becoming a regular member and contributor to the senior team? One thing is for sure - with youth comes inexperience and inconsistency. It would be unfair to expect miracles.

Meesen came ahead in leaps and bounds in 2006, after a disappointing 2005. Will he too take the next step into the senior side? Like Maric, inconsistency and inexperience will probably be a problem - but problems which can only be overcome by spending more time on the ground.

Were Adelaide right to retire Clarke, even with Biglands injured? Absolutely. The time was/is ripe to bring M&M into the side on a permanent basis. However, it was/is always going to be a risky strategy given the lack of experience in the more senior partner of the ruck division (Hudson).

With Clarke & Biglands, our ruck division had a total of 382 games experience. We knew, week in week out, what to expect.

We enter 2007 with a completely revamped ruck brigade. Hudson has 33 games to his credit, Maric has 8 (one of which he barely played, having played in the SANFL the day before), Meesen & Griffin have yet to debut.

Hudson's form in 2005 was outstanding - he was easily our best ruckman, probably since Rehn was at the height of his powers. However, he is in the process of returning from a serious knee injury. Will he ever return to the levels he achieved in 2005? Time will tell, but for now we can only hope so.

Maric continued his steady development, performing well in the few games he managed in 2006. Will he take the next step, becoming a regular member and contributor to the senior team? One thing is for sure - with youth comes inexperience and inconsistency. It would be unfair to expect miracles.

Meesen came ahead in leaps and bounds in 2006, after a disappointing 2005. Will he too take the next step into the senior side? Like Maric, inconsistency and inexperience will probably be a problem - but problems which can only be overcome by spending more time on the ground.

Were Adelaide right to retire Clarke, even with Biglands injured? Absolutely. The time was/is ripe to bring M&M into the side on a permanent basis. However, it was/is always going to be a risky strategy given the lack of experience in the more senior partner of the ruck division (Hudson).

This is what I mean, I rate Hudson, but for whatever reason he doesn't come up this year, you'll have an extremely inexperienced ruck combo of Maric and Meeson. If you are going to have a tilt at the flag this year, a fit and firing Hudson is a must, otherwise I can not see you guys getting close. Whilst these guys will develop and have some good games, they won't perform every week like their seasoned opposition and a dominating opposing ruckmean can be extremely damaging.

Yes, we came to expect good tap work by Clarke but absolutely deplorable work around the ground. And with Biglands we expected poor skills, terrible decision making and no impact in the ruck. Biglands may have started the season well but his last half was the worst of his career. He was only in the side because we were so light on up forward.

Papa G said:
This is what I mean, I rate Hudson, but for whatever reason he doesn't come up this year, you'll have an extremely inexperienced ruck combo of Maric and Meeson. If you are going to have a tilt at the flag this year, a fit and firing Hudson is a must, otherwise I can not see you guys getting close. Whilst these guys will develop and have some good games, they won't perform every week like their seasoned opposition and a dominating opposing ruckmean can be extremely damaging.
We weren’t going to win the flag with a ruck combination of Clarke/Biglands anyway. One is hopeless around the ground and can be exploited by opposition ruckmen, whilst the other can barely even win a tap. If they were so good why were we constantly beaten in the clearances?

The AFC decided to give an opportunity to Maric and Meesen because they are the future; they are both exceptionally talented youngsters who will be the cornerstone of the ruck division for 10 years. If we decided to keep Clarke on, there is no way they would both on the Crows list in 2007.

Yes, we came to expect good tap work by Clarke but absolutely deplorable work around the ground. And with Biglands we expected poor skills, terrible decision making and no impact in the ruck. Biglands may have started the season well but his last half was the worst of his career. He was only in the side because we were so light on up forward.

We weren’t going to win the flag with a ruck combination of Clarke/Biglands anyway. One is hopeless around the ground and can be exploited by opposition ruckmen, whilst the other can barely even win a tap. If they were so good why were we constantly beaten in the clearances?

The AFC decided to give an opportunity to Maric and Meesen because they are the future; they are both exceptionally talented youngsters who will be the cornerstone of the ruck division for 10 years. If we decided to keep Clarke on, there is no way they would both on the Crows list in 2007.
I think the ruck division will show a big improvement this year.

Clarke's tapwork was good but the opposition midfielders were reading it and roving to it better than our guys. His around the ground work improved late season when he pulled his finger out, but at his age the stamina just won't last out a season.

As for Biglands, some of his forward work was OK but he barely got a tap all season and then it was straight to the opposition. Our bad quarters usually coincided with him being on the ball. After a knee reco his very average leap will become almost non-existent.

Hudson will be ripping down walls to come back, Meeson will come of age now he has some incentive, and Maric will back them up if something happens. We'll be fine.

NOT at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Huddo : Ready to Rock !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back