Prediction I give up, we're idiots. Thank you Nigel Smart, you're Just Right.

Where is Nigel Smart right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May I comment in your forum?

My club has similar stuff ups. We have a good media department and a connected President who gets the job done, including scrubbing social media as much as possible, training blokes not to use their own phones/online ID to send dickpics/rude texts to Kane Cornes etc. Still happens but you can limit the damage.

The text to the girl? She's an online idiot asking other online idiots for their opinion. So do we. However we ask for online idiot comments about footy on a footy forum.

Her pic was in full makeup but does not show her whole height. Its not a serious question its attention seeking in a public place. She's literally the girl making too much noise in the pub or on the street, and Smart has specifically addressed a compliment to her. At best its stupid, at worst its creepy and either way he is stupid.

This is not a football blunder, its a social blunder so its not a matter of losing his job (unless he's got more form). His social media needs a scrub, and he needs a kick in the arse and some mandatory "don't flirt with young women its creepy you are old" lessons.

Its good to have loyalty and "look after the the boys" but serious jobs require serious people. This incident is a mark against Adelaide's social media training and minders. No one has been r*ped so its not major, but its a bad look and you don't want to become Milne-era St Kilda.

All it takes is the leadership setting the tone and the young blokes will follow, and next thing you know its gang-bangs, sexual assaults, school girls and the crappy defender is photographed holding the captain's penis. Is that what Smart wants? A photo of Brodie Smith holding Rory Sloane's penis? Because this is how you get a photo of Brodie Smith holding Rory Sloane's penis!

My club has similar stuff ups. We have a good media department and a connected President who gets the job done, including scrubbing social media as much as possible, training blokes not to use their own phones/online ID to send dickpics/rude texts to Kane Cornes etc. Still happens but you can limit the damage.

The text to the girl? She's an online idiot asking other online idiots for their opinion. So do we. However we ask for online idiot comments about footy on a footy forum.

Her pic was in full makeup but does not show her whole height. Its not a serious question its attention seeking in a public place. She's literally the girl making too much noise in the pub or on the street, and Smart has specifically addressed a compliment to her. At best its stupid, at worst its creepy and either way he is stupid.

This is not a football blunder, its a social blunder so its not a matter of losing his job (unless he's got more form). His social media needs a scrub, and he needs a kick in the arse and some mandatory "don't flirt with young women its creepy you are old" lessons.

Its good to have loyalty and "look after the the boys" but serious jobs require serious people. This incident is a mark against Adelaide's social media training and minders. No one has been r*ped so its not major, but its a bad look and you don't want to become Milne-era St Kilda.

All it takes is the leadership setting the tone and the young blokes will follow, and next thing you know its gang-bangs, sexual assaults, school girls and the crappy defender is photographed holding the captain's penis. Is that what Smart wants? A photo of Brodie Smith holding Rory Sloane's penis? Because this is how you get a photo of Brodie Smith holding Rory Sloane's penis!

I like all of your post until that last sentence.

Can we please scrub THAT from the internet?

I also wouldn't call Smith a crappy defender, he does have an all australian to his name.

Our media/PR department has long been a source of anger here. The Burton/Pyke train crash interview last year was probably the zenith, unfortunately not much seems to have changed

Jake Kelly would be the one holding Rory’s penis, not Smith. Don’t suppose you’d take him off our hands for a second rounder?

Because of drama queens making it a thing on the Internet.

Cool. Send me a photo of your wife or daughter, I want to see how tall she is.

EDIT: I forgot it was Mother's Day, don't leave her out

Last edited:
Cool. Send me a photo of your wife or daughter, I want to see how tall she is.
Smart should better. Reflects poorly on the club, and he does come across as a creepy old man. At the time he posted it, my guess is he probably thought he was funniest man in the world.

Where your argument falls over, baiting others to post photos of woman in there family, is that the girl in question is willingly posting photos of herself in a very public forum. She’s presented herself in staged photo, deliberately soliciting responses.

And Smarts response was exactly the type of feedback she was fishing for. I think you’d be naive to think otherwise.

And Smarts response was exactly the type of feedback she was fishing for. I think you’d be naive to think otherwise.

I expect you're exactly right. But Smart should know better. **** me, how many times have we had to say that?

Where your argument falls over, baiting others to post photos of woman in there family, is that the girl in question is willingly posting photos of herself in a very public forum. She’s presented herself in staged photo, deliberately soliciting responses.

Sure, I don't think it's exactly the same, but all of these people keep saying it's not sexual, but can't really define what his response meant. I'm using their close relationships with women in their families to see if they can understand what he's doing is stupid. They seem to get VERY defensive about it, but can't describe why... we all know why, they just can't admit they're being hypocrites.

Smart should better. Reflects poorly on the club, and he does come across as a creepy old man. At the time he posted it, my guess is he probably thought he was funniest man in the world.

She's a twitch streamer. She literally makes her money off audience engagement. I have no doubt she would get creepy posts like that coming back at her all the time and it's probably water off a ducks back, that doesn't make Smart's comment any less tasteless. The fact he did it with his official account is just mindbogglingly stupid which is the most offensive part of this.

She's a twitch streamer. She literally makes her money off audience engagement. I have no doubt she would get creepy posts like that coming back at her all the time and it's probably water off a ducks back, that doesn't make Smart's comment any less tasteless. The fact he did it with his official account is just mindbogglingly stupid which is the most offensive part of this.
I agree, and I did say and do think it’s was unprofessional and creepy

Yes, it's not specifically a football matter. Problem is, Smart oversees our eSports activities and it would be fair to say that creepy comments to a young female gamer ARE a commercial issue in that space. Considering Nige was the bloke who talked the club into getting into eSports in the first place...

Anyone who thinks it's just an innocent throwaway compliment to a good looking young woman is deliberately blind. Would he pay such an "innocent" compliment to a friend of one of his kids in front of said kid and/or his wife? I doubt it and I suspect he'd cop a "please explain" from said family members if he did.

I agree, and I did say and do think it’s was unprofessional and creepy
Yeah but you said Smart's comment is the type of attention she is fishing for. I can tell you that isn't true at all. It's a nasty side effect of the business she is in but unless Smart likes watching pretty girls play videogames and donating them money, he isn't her desired audience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's called having class.
Most 50yo men find younger women attractive.
But when you are a well known person, and are married with children, and represent an organisation that is in the public view, writing something like that is just stupid.
Sure the chick was most likely fishing for likes and comments, I mean thats what alot of social media is like, but Nigel, dont be that guy.
A female friend of mine was talking to me and she brought up that heaps on guys PM her trying to hook up with her. She showed me a heap of messages including unsolicited dick pics.
I just shook my head. Don't these guys have anyone that has taught them about women?

As a still sort of young, single female, I could tell you a lot of very sad stories, it’s actually depressing and puts me off getting into another relationship...But anyway, that’s off topic

This tweet is beyond stupid, ignoring the creepy old man comment, how, after several years in a high profile position you can not know that is inappropriate, or has potential to be picked up and blasted all over the media, ESPECIALLY when the club is already getting so much negative attention, is beyond ignorant.

There are no words.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah but you said Smart's comment is the type of attention she is fishing for. I can tell you that isn't true at all. It's a nasty side effect of the business she is in but unless Smart likes watching pretty girls play videogames and donating them money, he isn't her desired audience.
He might not necessarily be her target audience. But do you really think she posted that photo and that comment in search of 100’s or 1000’s of responses of variations of 148 cms?

He might not necessarily be her target audience. But do you really think she posted that photo and that comment in search of 100’s or 1000’s of responses of variations of 148 cms?
How does she make money from drive-by posts from creepy old men who will likely never even see her twitch channel? Her income is derived from long term fans. I get that she's using her looks, personality and hobby to make money so of course that kind of attention is an unwanted side effect of the business she's in. I'm sure if she could just target people who would be interested in her channel she would. Advertising requires that she casts a wide net so she's bound to pick up a few bottom feeders.

How does she make money from drive-by posts from creepy old men who will likely never even see her twitch channel? Her income is derived from long term fans. I get that she's using her looks, personality and hobby to make money so of course that kind of attention is an unwanted side effect of the business she's in. I'm sure if she could just target people who would be interested in her channel she would. Advertising requires that she casts a wide net so she's bound to pick up a few bottom feeders.
Come on, we’re in lockdown. So she gets dressed up, complete with war paint applied via spatula and organises a staged photo.

Social media has been around long enough and she is happy to advertise herself and her channel to monetise it in an online medium, she accepts that risk.

Again, I don’t condone Smarts actions or anyone else posting creepy shit like that.

I get that she's using her looks, personality and hobby to make money so of course that kind of attention is an unwanted side effect of the business she's in. I'm sure if she could just target people who would be interested in her channel she would. Advertising requires that she casts a wide net so she's bound to pick up a few bottom feeders.
Indeed, although if we're looking at it from her point of view, I doubt that "just right" is near the top of her list of "least desired comments".

But to me, the thing is

- If 50+ y.o. man looks at Instagram model and thinks to himself "phwoooaah", this is no big deal, he's a human being.
- If he says it to her face, or to the face of a female friend of his son/daughter, (or in front of his wife), then that's really dumb / creepy.
- If he says it via an anonymous Twitter / Insta account, then that's a bit weird, but play on, I guess.

- But if he's a blue check mark, and one of the public faces of the organisation he works for, then that's where it ends. You can argue back and forth about just how creepy / sexual it was, OK - but it's just flat out dumb to do it in the first place.

Which is why it was deleted - either on reflection by himself, or on directive from the club. Not because it stirred up the puritans, but because it was, objectively, a dumb thing for a person in his position to do.

Come on, we’re in lockdown. So she gets dressed up, complete with war paint applied via spatula and organises a staged photo.

Social media has been around long enough and she is happy to advertise herself and her channel to monetise it in an online medium, she accepts that risk.

Again, I don’t condone Smarts actions or anyone else posting creepy shit like that.
You aren't listening to me. The part I was arguing was this.

"And Smarts response was exactly the type of feedback she was fishing for. I think you’d be naive to think otherwise"

I'm saying it's an unwanted side effect of the business she's in. She makes her money on twitch, not facebook or twitter. Unless Smart is an avid gamer and loves donating money on twitch, his feedback is not what she was fishing for. She can't monetise creepy old man posts.

You aren't listening to me. The part I was arguing was this.

"And Smarts response was exactly the type of feedback she was fishing for. I think you’d be naive to think otherwise"

I'm saying it's an unwanted side effect of the business she's in. She makes her money on twitch, not facebook or twitter. Unless Smart is an avid gamer and loves donating money on twitch, his feedback is not what she was fishing for. She can't monetise creepy old man posts
I don’t think you’re listening to me either. I understand it’s an unwanted side affect.

Again, was she fishing for 100’s of responses guessing her height, or was she looking for 100’s of responses along the lines of ‘you look cute <heart>’ or ‘you must be a legend on twitch, I’m subscribing to your channel right now <thumbs up>’

If this was designed to only reach out to her suscribers, then It’s easy to speculate the sort of responses she was soliciting.

Anyway, I’m out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction I give up, we're idiots. Thank you Nigel Smart, you're Just Right.

Back