I want Cam Stokes in our finals team. Who will miss out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I want Stokes in our finals team. I like what he brings to the table. For this to happen someone has to miss out. In my mind there are three candidates. My underpinning premise is the ability to absorb and apply pressure.

In order:
Goo - Hodge, Ellis Ladson and Birch can all play a similar role and all are better defensively.
Dew - same as Goo but Dew is excellent under the pump, would like to see him get to more involved.
Crawf - The pressure gets to him.

Re: Stokes or ???

I think out of the guys you mentioned it would be Dew for mine. Not quick enough to run down players and how many times can he kick long in a game to advantage. Not that many. I would rather Dowler than Dew. He has the motor, can chaise, go up forward to kick goals and pace to apply defensive pressure if needed. Just needs the opportunity to shine.

I agree in that i love Stokes in the team. The pressure he adds is very valuable. Unfortunately, I can't see who would come out for him.

Crawf, Guerra and Dew all are very experienced players and would surely be picked for finals.

Would have to be Dew but don't think Clarko would leave him out for a first year rookie player

Come on lads, fair crack of the whip.....I watched Dewie live last week and his hustle and bustle is outstanding, I would play him when fit anytime......Stokesy is excellent in all seriousness out of last weeks team and even though he played a good game, Youngy may be the victim...

sorry Gazza :)

Clarkson won't drop Dew.

The team is settled and for mine there is one spot up for grabs and that will be fought between Murphy, Young and Stokes.

Spot On About Dew CLA.

I rekon this weeks changes should be:

OUT: Murphy, Guerra, Taylor

IN: Hodge, Ellis, Campbell

And providing no injuries that team should not change for the remainder of the year.

Unfortunately dont think clarko sees it that way and Murphy, Guerra, Young and Taylor have cemented spots.

Stokes has to be in.

Dew's a premiership player, he may be a massive unit but his experience at least will be invaluable to the younger guys to help settle us down when the pressures on us.

Crawf if fit is in our best 22, had a good game against WCE I thought.

Young played one of his better games I reckon, and wasn't afraid of taking the body contact either. (Braun, Spanger?)

I'm struggling to find who to leave out with Hodge, Campbell, Ellis to come back in.

Is Ladson somebody who can be dropped? Not sure to be honest.

It's a tough situation to find ourselves in, and one I think will be good for the club in finals, and in future years when we have such strong competition for spots in our side, which I think it's fair to say we didn't have for 5 years prior to last. :eek:

In: Campbell, Ellis, Hodge

Out: Renouf(unlucky but still has to do his apprenticeship). Stokes and :confused:

I like Stokes, but the three ins are certs and someone has to give way. Stokes does not have finals experience. Having said that, I still want him in. Can't we play with an extra man - the others do, like that number 17 for Geelong - he was an extra man and the cats didn't get penalised.:eek:

I think it's very unlikely Guerra will be squeezed out in the near future, mainly because he seems to be clearly our best at the kick ins. This is perhaps more significant than a lot of people think, and similarly to Josh Hunt of Geelong, I think he'll be difficult to remove due to this attribute, even if some other areas of his game are lacking at times.

Clarko seems intent on keeping Dew in the side, and I can't see crawf missing any finals if he's fit.

I agree that this most likely leaves Murphy, Stokes and Young fighting for the one spot if the side is fit. Without any inside info at all, my guess would be that the preference of the coaches is to have Murphy in the side, with Stokes next, then Young in the pecking order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please leave Stokes in the team!
Rioli and Osbornes best form was at the start of the year when he was in the team.

Ladson to be dropped.
Whilst he is serviceable at what he does, he doesn't offer anything that Dew, Birchall, Guerra, Ellis and Osborne cant, whilst the others can either play taller, play forward, find more of the ball, or use it better.

Add Young and Morton to the list of people I would rather in the team.

IN: Campbell, Ellis, Hodge
OUT: Renouf, Ladson, Young

B: Guerra, Gilham, Murphy
HB: Birchall, Croad, Hodge
C: Lewis, Sewell, Bateman
HF: Rioli, Franklin, Osborne
F: Williams, Roughead, Brown
R: Campbell, Mitchell, Ellis
IC: Stokes, Taylor, Crawford, Dew

If anyone, I'd drop Guerra. No defencive qualities, gets beaten one on one to often and if we are keeping dew in then we have the defencive go to man with the clean disposal.

Crawf, playing like a guy that has played 30 games let alone 300. Some of his decision making has been horrid. Can't drop him but needs to lift.

I like Stokes and want him in, but as has been mentioned, no one to drop.

I would like:
In: Hodge, Campbell, Ellis
out: Renouf, Guerra, Young (stiff)

Would like to see Renouf get another go, but Taylor has earnt his spot I think

Haven't been around here much recently but have to say I'm very surprised that Ladson is being mentioned as a possible out. I would have thought he would be clearly in the top ten of the B&F and played one of his better games on Sunday.

Guerra also played one of his better games this week.

Unfortunately I think that Stokes and Renouf will have to wait for next year if everyone is fit.

I feel we have too many free wheeling, outside, left footers.

They look great running out of defence by themselves, but they dont work hard enough when they havent got the ball.

We need a few defenders who will just lock down on an opponent.

Down hill football does not work in finals. Unless we tighten up this will not be a successful September.

Thats why I love Stokes. Works even harder when he doesnt have the ball.

Guerra dropped???????:confused::confused:

You have to be joking right? Did you actually watch the game against WCE last Sunday? I was there and he dominated.

No further comment.

Yep, racking up a heap of cheap possies against West Coast is the best gauge of a footballer. Well said!!!

What about the week before when Mitch Morton beat him hands down in 1-on-1 duels. Great kick, horrible defender, which when you are playing half back, IS kinda important

Yep, racking up a heap of cheap possies against West Coast is the best gauge of a footballer. Well said!!!

What about the week before when Mitch Morton beat him hands down in 1-on-1 duels. Great kick, horrible defender, which when you are playing half back, IS kinda important

Agreed, had a poor game against Richmond (I think its fair to say, he wasn't alone on that front)....and I had some doubts after that game, so he comes out and plays BOG against WCE...I'm not sure what else could be asked of him from that game?

Remove this Banner Ad

I want Cam Stokes in our finals team. Who will miss out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back