I will only be content if Geelong finish ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
At the start of this year, if somebody said Geelong to end up 4th on the ladder, I would've taken it, hey I would've taken 8th.
but with Geelong 'overachieving' this year (lets not kid ourselves), will you still be content with a top 4 position or will only a premiership do, perhaps you might count your lucky stars if we make the finals.

Although I believe Geelong should improve next year I cannot see them climbing higher than 4th with Port (the new Powerhouse) St Kilda (probably a year or two ahead of Geelong in terms of development) and Brisbane (on the way down, but still too classy) being in Geelong’s way.

Hence I will be happy with a top 4 position

I would only be happy with a premiership.

My reasoning is that if you keep saying, for example, "2006 is our year", you are selling the team short. There will always be issues that you would say may hold us back, e.g. no established CHF, injuries etc. All teams have their strengths and weaknesses.

Next year represents as good a chance at a premiership as any other in the next 5. You need good planning, luck with injuries and peaking at the right time of the season.

I assume by finishing "top" you are referring to premiers rather than top after the H&A season.

Cheers

I fully agree with you Hoops. I reckon that it is pretty sensible to expect a top 4 finish. We are capable of winning the flag but our real concern is Port Adelaide. I can't remember the last time we beat them in a home and away game. They've beaten us 3 times this season, I HATE THEM. We got close at AAMI stadium but were made to look quite ordinary on the other 2 occasions.

A top 4 finish this year doesn't promise or guarantee us anything next year or next few years (Perfect example of Richmond in 2000 or 2001). I don't think we can relax just yet, we've got plenty to do beginning with ways to out play some of our top 4 rivals.

geez boys, we talk a fair bit of cr@p this time of year don't we?? it is threads like this that signify we have absolutely nothing worthwhile to talk about.

9th Life said:
I fully agree with you Hoops. I reckon that it is pretty sensible to expect a top 4 finish. We are capable of winning the flag but our real concern is Port Adelaide. I can't remember the last time we beat them in a home and away game. They've beaten us 3 times this season, I HATE THEM. We got close at AAMI stadium but were made to look quite ordinary on the other 2 occasions.

A top 4 finish this year doesn't promise or guarantee us anything next year or next few years (Perfect example of Richmond in 2000 or 2001). I don't think we can relax just yet, we've got plenty to do beginning with ways to out play some of our top 4 rivals.

We played Port Power 3 times overall. Beat them in the Wizard Cup, lost to them 2 times at AAMI Stadium. Round 10 we should've won, and QF we just got beaten by a side that won the flag. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I'm not scared of playing the other Top 4 sides. Brisbane we beat in Round 13 and matched it with them at the G in the PF, and St Kilda we match up with really well. We can beat all 3 of those teams on our day.

And for the record, we last beat Port Power in a H&A game in Round 14 2003 at SS. Won by a point. Graham kicked the winner from 60m out trying to pass to Scarlo. Great day that was.

Happiness comes from the heart. I am always disappointed when Geelong lose, and I'll be disappointed if we don't come top.

But that's my heart, my head is a different story. Can't say what position is satisfactory at this stage. If we have a mega-run of injuries and three or four other teams improve dramatically, then my expectations would be lowered. But really as long as we do our best with the dice that lady-luck rolls, then you can't really expect anything more.

flagfor05 said:
We played Port Power 3 times overall. Beat them in the Wizard Cup, lost to them 2 times at AAMI Stadium. Round 10 we should've won, and QF we just got beaten by a side that won the flag. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I'm not scared of playing the other Top 4 sides. Brisbane we beat in Round 13 and matched it with them at the G in the PF, and St Kilda we match up with really well. We can beat all 3 of those teams on our day.

That's the point, we have to be able to beat Port in games that matter (Finals and Home and Away games). Merely matching top 4 side isn't going to be enough and isn't a good strategy for long-term success. Besides, I don't want our team to beat top 4 teams on our day, I want to beat them everyday. If we can do that, then I can certainly say that I will be expecting nothing short of a flag.

The post by jmain earlier highlighted perfectly what going on. We really are just killing time with what we're discussing because season 2005 can't come any sooner! :D

flagfor05 said:
And for the record, we last beat Port Power in a H&A game in Round 14 2003 at SS. Won by a point. Graham kicked the winner from 60m out trying to pass to Scarlo. Great day that was.

Thanks for the reminder, that was a great day! ;) GO CATS!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I will only be content if Geelong finish ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back