If Burton is out, Gill should come in

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to see Otten have a crack. Has the height and mobility to play in most positions on the field. NC will replace Brett (if suspended) for a similar player to keep his structure in place. K mac is not going to fill his roll. Gill would but dont think his form warants it. BRING IN ANDY

I have defended Kenny longer and harder than almost anyone. But I still think we need a hit up link man, rather than the (hard contest, marking) monolith that Kenny has become.

I'm a Kenny fan as well, but I agree; for mine, Kenny is either FF or in the backlines, with the view that it shifts someone else to the link CHF role.

Yep. My thoughts there would be for Kenny to stand in the square and take the long bombs.

Tippett has been playing this role lately much to his own detriment. I'd like to see him mix and match his game with more leads

Let Kenny do the hack work with Tippett to move around a lot.

Good call. I think we need to try something a bit different up forward as Kurt has been struggling a tad. Maybe Kenny playing deep in the forward line is a decent option. If this is the case, I reckon Griffin may be in a tad of trouble which would be a shame

Would love to see Otten have a crack. Has the height and mobility to play in most positions on the field. NC will replace Brett (if suspended) for a similar player to keep his structure in place. K mac is not going to fill his roll. Gill would but dont think his form warants it. BRING IN ANDY

I'm with you Chief Crow, like for like and Andy is the man :thumbsu::thumbsu: . Can't see Kenny coming in as we will be very top heavy.
And I,m sorry but Jericho is not the answer. Many people have jumped on his bang wagon when he returned to the field from the Brogan hit, which was courageous, but this does not change anything in terms of skill and football ability. Jericho has had his chances, it is time for Andy to have his.

In: Jehrico, McGregor
Out: Burton, McKay

We need to win this game badly, red uniforms or not. We MUST win against Richmond with that massive game against Hawthorn coming up in 2 weeks time, a game which could define our season. Can't wait for it. A loss to the Tigers and we could be in some trouble for a top 4 spot after 22.

I'm a fan of Gill but I don't think his fitness is up to it at this stage. He is struggling at SANFL level due to his fitness levels not so much touch. I just don't think he is ready yet.

I'm actually quite worried that Gill will be delisted if he dosen't get many chances this year.

It's a two horse race for me between Jericho and Gill but seeing that if someone usually goes out of the side Jericho is immediately put into his place and i think the same will happen for the match against the Tigers, that and Neil Craig seems to love the bloke :p

I'm with you Chief Crow, like for like and Andy is the man :thumbsu::thumbsu: . Can't see Kenny coming in as we will be very top heavy.
And I,m sorry but Jericho is not the answer. Many people have jumped on his bang wagon when he returned to the field from the Brogan hit, which was courageous, but this does not change anything in terms of skill and football ability. Jericho has had his chances, it is time for Andy to have his.
I agree that Jericho isn't the answer to anything. However, if Burton gets rubbed out by the MRP then I can pretty much guarantee that Jericho will be the one to take his place.

It was encouraging to see Otten listed amongst the Crows' emergency listed players for Friday night, following yet another appearance in South's best players list the week before. However, the AFC haven't shown a lot of indications that they actually intend to give him a game yet this year (2009 may be his year, as 2008 has been for Mackay & Tippett).

Jericho has replaced Burton in the past and I would expect him to do so again in the future.

I'm actually quite worried that Gill will be delisted if he dosen't get many chances this year.
Highly likely IMHO. It's not that he's not getting any chances though - if/when he starts to show form & fitness then I'm sure the opportunities will come. Gill's problem is his body - it's just too frail for AFL football. He missed the early part of the season with a series of soft tissue injuries (of which he has a lengthy history) and hasn't shown a lot of form/fitness in the SANFL since returning to action. Give him time though and I'm sure the magic will return.

The AFC persevered with Bode being perpetually injured, but with an aging group of senior players (6 players currently aged 30+) Gill won't survive if he can't keep himself on the paddock regularly. The AFC were obviously concerned about his history of injuries, which is almost certainly the reason why he was only given a 1-year contract at the end of 2007. Sadly, he has done nothing in 2009 to suggest that their concerns were ill-founded.

I love Gill as a player. His arrival at the end of 2007 was the highlight of the year for me. However, I love the club more and Gill's body is just too injury prone to justify a continued position on the list.

Just as an aside, Gill was originally drafted to provide coverage for Hentschel who was going to be out for 18 months with that horrific knee injury. Hentschel is now back playing in the SANFL, arguably performing better than Gill. With the young forwards developing nicely - Tippett is established now, Sellar & Walker will be looking to play in 2009, is there any further need for Gill on our list?

I suspect that one of Gill & KMac will survive, but not both. KMac is positively statuesque in his immobility, Gill is injury prone but exciting when fit. KMac is contracted for 2009, Gill is not. It's going to be a tough call.

I , is there any further need for Gill on our list?

Great posts in all respects but I would say that Gill gives us unpredicitability in the forward line which may be needed in 2010 once Burton has retired. Agree with you that he must get his body right this year though to be a realistic option for us in this regard as we can't have dead weight on the list with the new teams coming in and this years draft being vital.

In – Jericho, Otten, Gill

Out – Burton (suspended), MacKay, Goodwin (cheekbone – only a suspicion)

------------------------------------------

FF – Tippett ~ Jericho ~ McLeod

HF – Porplyzia ~ Stevens ~ Douglas

C – Knights ~ Thompson ~ Reilly

HB – van Berlo ~ Bock ~ Doughty

FB - Bassett ~ Rutten ~ Johncock

Ruck - Maric ~ Goodwin ~ Shirley

Interchange – Griffin ~ Otten ~ Vince ~ Edwards

-----------------------------------------------------

The last few weeks Andrew McLeod form has been down and has struggled to break a very tight tag placed upon him; I see Terry Wallace doing the same thing this week so Neil Craig should look at a way of counter strategizing this move by playing him as a leading forward. It would not surprise me if Wallace tried to implement the same strategy as Essendon and play Jake King or Jordan McMahon on him across the Richmond half forward line so why not start him as a leading forward line player as a way of breaking the tag. Have him become a leading forward with the hope he can kick 2 or 3 early goals and help remove the goal kicking yipes we have at the moment.

Judging from past incidents this season Brett Burton may have a 2 or 3 week holidays for his hit on Slattery, if he is found guild and suspended Luke Jericho is the likely replacement as he can play as a leading forward as well as move out to a half forward or wing. I also have some suspicion that Simon Goodwin may miss with a fractured cheekbone after being hit on a front on collision by Mark McVeigh and if this is the case I would then look at bring in the under done Nick Gill or Trent Hentschel to play at CHF. I don’t think it would serve any purpose to bring in the mobility challenged Kenny McGregor or the rookie James Sellar as this is a must win game.

Andy Otten deserves a go and David MacKay had a shocker last week so that suggests to me a change is needed. MacKay has only played 10 games and should be dropped after that performance as most first year players are.

I love Gill as a player. His arrival at the end of 2007 was the highlight of the year for me. However, I love the club more and Gill's body is just too injury prone to justify a continued position on the list.

Just as an aside, Gill was originally drafted to provide coverage for Hentschel who was going to be out for 18 months with that horrific knee injury. Hentschel is now back playing in the SANFL, arguably performing better than Gill. With the young forwards developing nicely - Tippett is established now, Sellar & Walker will be looking to play in 2009, is there any further need for Gill on our list?

I suspect that one of Gill & KMac will survive, but not both. KMac is positively statuesque in his immobility, Gill is injury prone but exciting when fit. KMac is contracted for 2009, Gill is not. It's going to be a tough call.

In my list summary for the 2009 season I found a place for Nick Gill (but not Kenny McGregor) because I still have major doubts over James Sellar, Taylor Walker and Trent Hentschel being ready to hold down a forward le sport for the 2009 season.

I honestly don’t believe Trent Hentschel will be able to develop his flexibility, agility or lateral movement in his knee to allow him to become a genuine forward option again. Saying that I am not writing him off as an AFL player because he will be able to play in the back half with no troubles as he is not the decision maker on where he wants to run and lead. He will be able to play as a very good defender or half back because he can run in straight lines or leave his player by zoning off to help out. I think he will find it difficult to regain that strength in his knees to leading up and then pivoting one way or the other to allow him to become a mobile forward. The jury is still out on how his knee will stand up to the pressures of being a forward, sure he can do it in the reserves but that’s a long way below AFL football.

Jimmy Sellar and Taylor Walker will become good players one day and will replace Nick Gill but not sure if they will be ready by 2009.

So to me – Nick Gill stays as insurance or a player we rely upon if his body can stand up over a pre season. Maybe he should be given a contract if he can stay fit until the begging of the trial games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Moran make it past this year? You have to cut three players

Biglands is 1 if Basset and Edwards go too then its easy, but I don’t think its to far out the realm of possibility Or is it ?

Btw – I’m not bagging the guy, I haven’t seen him play outside the NAB cup but I suppose not playing is as bad as playing poorly these days.

Will Moran make it past this year? You have to cut three players

Biglands is 1 if Basset and Edwards go too then its easy, but I don’t think its to far out the realm of possibility Or is it ?

Btw – I’m not bagging the guy, I haven’t seen him play outside the NAB cup but I suppose not playing is as bad as playing poorly these days.

I think its easy to rate players on the injury list higher than they really are. In my opinion Moran will be a depth player at best but I would expect him to have another year. I'd suspect the three you mentioned will retire plus Campbell would be in doubt. I am a fan of his but he is playing really good football stil can't break into the side so i hate to say it but he must be doubtful.

I dont believe all this talk about Edwards retiring. He is and always will be an underrated player, his only downfall is that he has been extremely consistent over the course of his career so that now he has had one or two quiet games and they stick out like a sore thumb. Definitely wont retire this year.

Jericho or Hentschel will come in this week for mine.

I dont believe all this talk about Edwards retiring. He is and always will be an underrated player, his only downfall is that he has been extremely consistent over the course of his career so that now he has had one or two quiet games and they stick out like a sore thumb. Definitely wont retire this year.

Jericho or Hentschel will come in this week for mine.

We've got;

Biglands - gone.
Jericho - probably gone.
Bassett - possibly gone.
Shirley - talk that he's thinking of hanging them up by choice.

In my opinion, the first two will definitely be gone, so we only need one other forced delistment.

Edwards next year should be used off of the bench. As good as our kids are, they're still only kids - we still need experienced players with strong, hard bodies.

We've got;

Biglands - gone.
Jericho - probably gone.
Bassett - possibly gone.
Shirley - talk that he's thinking of hanging them up by choice.

In my opinion, the first two will definitely be gone, so we only need one other forced delistment.

Edwards next year should be used off of the bench. As good as our kids are, they're still only kids - we still need experienced players with strong, hard bodies.

We'll be looking at more than just the minimum delistings this year, for the reasons I've stated elsewhere.

My guess is 5-6 draftees (probably 5), plus any rookie upgrades. So, probably 6-7 retirements/delistings/trades.

MacKay has only played 10 games and should be dropped after that performance as most first year players are.

Agreed. He needs a few weeks back in the SANFL just to refresh. Would love to see Dangerfield or Otten play but I don't know how likely that would be.

In – Jericho, Otten, Gill

Out – Burton (suspended), MacKay, Goodwin (cheekbone – only a suspicion)

------------------------------------------

FF – Tippett ~ Jericho ~ McLeod

HF – Porplyzia ~ Stevens ~ Douglas

C – Knights ~ Thompson ~ Reilly

HB – van Berlo ~ Bock ~ Doughty

FB - Bassett ~ Rutten ~ Johncock

Ruck - Maric ~ Goodwin ~ Shirley

Interchange – Griffin ~ Otten ~ Vince ~ Edwards

-----------------------------------------------------

The last few weeks Andrew McLeod form has been down and has struggled to break a very tight tag placed upon him; I see Terry Wallace doing the same thing this week so Neil Craig should look at a way of counter strategizing this move by playing him as a leading forward. It would not surprise me if Wallace tried to implement the same strategy as Essendon and play Jake King or Jordan McMahon on him across the Richmond half forward line so why not start him as a leading forward line player as a way of breaking the tag. Have him become a leading forward with the hope he can kick 2 or 3 early goals and help remove the goal kicking yipes we have at the moment.

Judging from past incidents this season Brett Burton may have a 2 or 3 week holidays for his hit on Slattery, if he is found guild and suspended Luke Jericho is the likely replacement as he can play as a leading forward as well as move out to a half forward or wing. I also have some suspicion that Simon Goodwin may miss with a fractured cheekbone after being hit on a front on collision by Mark McVeigh and if this is the case I would then look at bring in the under done Nick Gill or Trent Hentschel to play at CHF. I don’t think it would serve any purpose to bring in the mobility challenged Kenny McGregor or the rookie James Sellar as this is a must win game.

Andy Otten deserves a go and David MacKay had a shocker last week so that suggests to me a change is needed. MacKay has only played 10 games and should be dropped after that performance as most first year players are.

MacKay doesn't deserve to be dropped. He has rarely made a mistake this year and everyone was under pressure on Friday night

Yeah not too sure about dropping McKay however I would love to see Otten get a game. His form in the SANFL really is derserving of a run. This week against Richmond would be a perfect introduction to AFL football:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

If Burton is out, Gill should come in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back