Irish crying continues with calls to scrap the series

Remove this Banner Ad

Start taking some responsibility .

When the red card was produced I thought that Australia would me a man down for 15 miniutes which is the norm in Australian Football and akin to most other football codes . But no , we played on with a substitution .
Who organised THOSE rules . There's part responsibilty there for starters .

It was all over in 5 seconds .If you're going to charge in and remonstrate with someone don't all fall over at once .

cos789 said:

When the red card was produced I thought that Australia would me a man down for 15 miniutes which is the norm in Australian Football and akin to most other football codes . But no , we played on with a substitution .
Who organised THOSE rules . There's part responsibilty there for starters .

It was all over in 5 seconds .If you're going to charge in and remonstrate with someone don't all fall over at once .
Yes lets all share some of the responibilty for Johnson be a craving, gutless coward that lied about the incident in his joke of an apology

Bloodz said:
Yes lets all share some of the responibilty .....

What is your problem .

In RL tackles like that are not infrequent . Biffo is not infrequent .
In RU they still regularly break necks to end up in spinal trauma wards ,
stamp on people in the rucks and engage in biffo .
In soccer , far from being a non-contact sport they engage in a cross-section of habits , though not life threatening occur on places of the body without much protection .
You're taking one incident that lasted 5 seconds as reason to declare war .

The incident is over , we've learned from it and action has been taken to avert a recurrence .Time to get down from your high horse and face reality .

cos789 said:
What is your problem .

In RL tackles like that are not infrequent . Biffo is not infrequent .
In RU they still regularly break necks to end up in spinal trauma wards ,
stamp on people in the rucks and engage in biffo .
In soccer , far from being a non-contact sport they engage in a cross-section of habits , though not life threatening occur on places of the body without much protection .
You're taking one incident that lasted 5 seconds as reason to declare war .

The incident is over , we've learned from it and action has been taken to avert a recurrence .Time to get down from your high horse and face reality .
Bueller..... Bueller...... Bueller...... Bueller

Hoop said:
Let It Long, well, Pairc Ui Caoimh was the strongest alternative to Croke Park. I agree - it's not up to standard. But I do think it was only being suggested as an alternative as it's located in Ireland's second biggest city.

Heard about Casement Park being touted, too, but not on the same scale as Pairc Ui Caoimh due to the safety concerns at hand for the fans.

Your wrong there hoop, I think you'll find the newly redeveloped Gaelic Grounds is considered second in line, then Casement, then Pearse Stadium. Thurles is kind of a bit too rural but Pairc ui Caoimh would never be considered acceptable by the aussies because of the condition of the dressing areas, regardless of whether its in the second city or not and who could blame them. :eek:

cos789 said:
It's not a suggestion , it's fact . watched the replay a number of times and the fact is the Australians retaliated . Everybody harps on the fact that the irish are amateurs , well they are and they are niave to the nth degree to think that the Australian players wouldn't retaliate to the premeditated tactics of the Irish .The Australians were thrashing the Irish playing the game with skill and speed . There was no need to deviate from a winning formulae .
Watch the replay and count how many times the Irish "enforcer" tries to provoke violence .

There's been a lot written about the disrespect Australian players showed Ireland . Well let's look a little closer . The Irish coach disrepected the whole Australian team by not bothering to do any research on the team .
He thought he coud win without doing any work . The GAA has only to look at themselves for going down the totally athletic approach and neglecting the physical side of things . It was inevitable that in any clash they were going to come off second best .

Sorry, mate, but I think you were watching a completely different game there. Don't want to make this sound like a long winded rant, or try and depict our boys as being houlier than thou, but that is actually what raises our ire over here - the claims that we "sparked" things off, and the Australian players finished it. If the Irish players kicking Aussie players off the ball was as rampant as suggested, identify them? Don't spout the same BS that some of your fellow compatriots have posted, that; "the camera didn't pick it up because it was focusing on the game, not the off the ball incidents" I'm sure whatever Australian network was covering the game had more than ONE camera there - surely something would have been picked up? Mentioned in the match report in the Aussie media before Sheedy came out with his version events? Also, the guys who were at the game; the least they could have done is name the Australian players who were on the receiving end of sly, off the ball kicks by our players.

As for your second paragraph - if you think we underestimated the Australians, you could not be further off the mark. We never have, nor are we going to start underestimating the Aussies - bear in mind we were expecting a back-lash of sort due to last years result, we know your lads would have had their pride slightly dented. The fact of the matter is Sheedy did his homework. And did it very well. The Aussies kicking increased two fold. They looked a well drilled outfit all over the park. They beat us in every facet of the game, and then some. If anyone brings up the fact our lads are amateurs, it's a moot point. If we thought for a split second that was a major handicap for us - we wouldn't play - simple as that. And I don't know how Pete McGrath could have done any research on your team, for one, you had a lot of debutants to the IR. I don't think watching them play AFL would have revealed much to him. Maybe it's time we had our own Jim Stynes type of observer

Some morons will believe anything Sheedy says, the fact is he was trying to get himself off the hook for talking up a bloodbath before the game, then when he got it and all the bad press associated with it he ran for cover like a coward... like a Johnson some might say

Bloodz said:
He didn't leave any room for doubt, he lied outright and said it was unintentional... gutless wonder
Didn't Hall plead guilty to striking Maguire in the preliminary earlier this year? The only reason he didn't get a suspension is because it was deemed "in-play". Since he was going to plead guilty to it he obviously admitted to doing it, would you call him a gutless wonder as well?

Hall will plead guilty to striking St Kilda's Matt Maguire but the Swans will argue the act occurred within play rather than behind play, which would reduce the charge from a level two striking offence to a level one striking offence

Roos confident on Hall hearing

cos789 said:
It's not a suggestion , it's fact . watched the replay a number of times and the fact is the Australians retaliated .
I've still got the game on tape, cos789. Can you tell me which Irish players did the kicking ? If you don't know them, just publish who the Australians were that were kicked. If you are so convinced, you could watch again with your remote, pick out all the incidents you saw on the replay, make notes on what point in the game it occurred, then publish them in this thread, you know

2 minutes into the first quarter, O'Smith kicks Jones in the ankle.
2 mins 10 secs into the first quarter, Mac Bloggs kicks Black in the back of the knee.

I was there. I didn't see any kicking, ankle tapping or any other form of aggression from Irish players, other than a bit of pushing back. I've watched the replay of both games three or four times, now, remote at the ready. I still haven't seen any aggression from the Irish players.

Mikes4 said:
For the Irish guys: How come they don't play games occasionally at different venues. I realise that Croker is the biggest and best etc etc, however you still have two or three reasonably large stadiums that would be more than suitable.

Because Semple Stadium is a hurling ground, how can you play good football on a hurling pitch ? :cool:

Seriously, its because everything in this country resolves around Dublin. If any Dubs wanted to see the match and had to go to another county it would be unheard of. whens the last time Dublin played a championship game outside of Dublin ? (I don't know but its a long time).

They used to be played in other stadiums, just the last few have being in Croke park.

cos789 said:
It's not a suggestion , it's fact . watched the replay a number of times and the fact is the Australians retaliated . Everybody harps on the fact that the irish are amateurs , well they are and they are niave to the nth degree to think that the Australian players wouldn't retaliate to the premeditated tactics of the Irish .The Australians were thrashing the Irish playing the game with skill and speed . There was no need to deviate from a winning formulae .
Watch the replay and count how many times the Irish "enforcer" tries to provoke violence .

By the Irish "Enforcer" do you mean McMenamin ?

I have watched the match several times and i haven't seen one "ankle tap" or kicking incident. Has any commentator said this happened ? Usually the commentators watch the game closely, or so i've heard.

clashoftheash said:
Because Semple Stadium is a hurling ground, how can you play good football on a hurling pitch ? :cool:

Seriously, its because everything in this country resolves around Dublin. If any Dubs wanted to see the match and had to go to another county it would be unheard of. whens the last time Dublin played a championship game outside of Dublin ? (I don't know but its a long time).

They used to be played in other stadiums, just the last few have being in Croke park.

Wrong on all accounts clash. Numerous great football games played in Semple and to name one and kill two birds with one stone, Dublin v Kerry, 4 years ago when Maurice Fitzgerald kicked the wonder point from 50 on the sideline off the outside of his boot. Dublin also played a first round championship match outside Dublin last year. It'd be financial suicide to play anymore games outside croker as the Dubs usually generate a 70,000 plus crowd with croker being the only stadium capable of supporting that.

Let_it_long said:
Wrong on all accounts clash. Numerous great football games played in Semple and to name one and kill two birds with one stone, Dublin v Kerry, 4 years ago when Maurice Fitzgerald kicked the wonder point from 50 on the sideline off the outside of his boot. Dublin also played a first round championship match outside Dublin last year. It'd be financial suicide to play anymore games outside croker as the Dubs usually generate a 70,000 plus crowd with croker being the only stadium capable of supporting that.

The "hurling ground" point was a joke. That was said by Paudi i think when Kerry lost to Cork some years ago in Semple. Wasn't the smiley enough to point that out ?

Who did they play outside Dublin ?

p.s > Sligo v Gaway in the first round 2006. Another slaughter or a banana skin for Galway ? I hear a lot of work being done in Sligo and a lot of the old players being kicked out.

Remember the last time they played Armagh, Joe Kearnan accused Sligo of being thugs :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cos789 said:
One incident clearly picked up was Croad kicked by one player and backhanded to the face by another , then he retaliated . OK .

What time in the match did this occur ? (what was the time on the clock what quarter ?)
What was the numbers of the Irish jerseys involved ?
Where was the kick directed ? (Ankle, knee, foot, etc)

Its not "OK" because i've watched this several times and never seen such an incident.

clashoftheash said:
Its not "OK" because i've watched this several times and never seen such an incident.

I wont have time to watch the replay immediately , but I will watch it and i will give you the exact details . From memory it was in the second quarter before the CJ incident . It wasn't in the real time time play but where they cut to footage filmed by another camera . The commentators commented on it . It did happen .

Bur generally the camera isn't going to pick up too much below the knee and generally won't pick up who instigated what , but rather the aftermath .

I was at the Subiaco game with excellent viewing and from memory saw no spite . However I did see Australia completely blitz Ireland and I don't see Australia as the one to have to change it's winning tactics .

cos789 said:
I wont have time to watch the replay immediately , but I will watch it and i will give you the exact details . From memory it was in the second quarter before the CJ incident . It wasn't in the real time time play but where they cut to footage filmed by another camera . The commentators commented on it . It did happen .

Bur generally the camera isn't going to pick up too much below the knee and generally won't pick up who instigated what , but rather the aftermath .

Yes and the comentators usually catch wha caused such aftermath and not once did any of them say we "ankle tapped".

I was at the Subiaco game with excellent viewing and from memory saw no spite . However I did see Australia completely blitz Ireland and I don't see Australia as the one to have to change it's winning tactics

Not once did i or any other Irish posted to my knowledge anyways say otherwise. Australia destroyed us plain and simple, they were 10 times the better team and it was a well deserved victory.

Without the incidents in question Oz would probably have scored a lot more.

cos789 said:

So....... are you going to pick out a defining moment for such incident's or not? You surely can't be having trouble picking any incidents after proclaiming it was clear for all to see.

clashoftheash said:
The "hurling ground" point was a joke. That was said by Paudi i think when Kerry lost to Cork some years ago in Semple. Wasn't the smiley enough to point that out ?

p.s > Sligo v Gaway in the first round 2006. Another slaughter or a banana skin for Galway ? I hear a lot of work being done in Sligo and a lot of the old players being kicked out.

Remember the last time they played Armagh, Joe Kearnan accused Sligo of being thugs :D

We played the mighty Leitrim in Carrick On Shannon.

Well, they can't get any worse than they have being in the past two seasons! Seems to be a lack of players progressing to the senior team from the under-age ones? It would be nice to see another team from Connacht challenging the other two.

clashoftheash said:

Who did they play?
Longford if memory serves me correctly.

Galway v Sligo
I be happy to lose it to sligo if it ment O'Hara gettin his medal at last but don't see it happening. Our lads would be better off taking the long route anyway.

Thugs
Never seemed that way to me. Ye were usually to far behind to even bother with a bit of hatchet i suppose. BTW if you want Peter Forde back ye can have him :D

cos789 said:
Bur generally the camera isn't going to pick up too much below the knee and generally won't pick up who instigated what , but rather the aftermath
They have no trouble picking up Australian players banging Irish heads into the ground, arriving just a bit late, slinging Irish players to the ground after they've got rid of the ball, unneccessary bumping off the ball, pushing and shoving off the ball. Odd that with all that kicking and ankle tapping, the cameras just couldn't pick it up.

This is great isn't it?

There are plenty of detractors about the place knocking the IR concept but this topic alone has racked up 247 posts (plus 1), not to mention other related topics that have had it all...............controversy, heated argument, abuse, name calling, gloating in victory, graciousness in defeat, vows of vengeance, personal slurs and even calls for national apologies.

In short, all the things we have come to know and love on Bigfooty.

And it's still raging long after the event

Long live IR. :thumbsu:

Let_it_long said:
Who did they play?
Longford if memory serves me correctly.

Begod i think your right!

Galway v Sligo
I be happy to lose it to sligo if it ment O'Hara gettin his medal at last but don't see it happening. Our lads would be better off taking the long route anyway.

I always rated him, no one else seems to put him in the "high" tier at all. If you ask me, he beat Tyrone on his own in 2002.

p.s > Its an atrocity that players like Eamonn O'Hara and Declan Browne will never get an All-Ireland.

Such quality players, they'd be first choice to or close to it in any team in the country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Irish crying continues with calls to scrap the series

Remove this Banner Ad

Back