Irish crying continues with calls to scrap the series

Remove this Banner Ad

clare.jpg

Ice Hockey players wouldn't last 5 minutes. :cool:

Hoop said:
So....... are you going to pick out a defining moment for such incident's or not? You surely can't be having trouble picking any incidents after proclaiming it was clear for all to see.

If I do , are you going to accept it and apologise and speak never more on the subject ?

audas said:
Nothing more: no threats of violence, no cancelling the series, no racial abuse, etc.

My comments about Ireland were bang out of order, and Ill take them back (if I can), they were cheap. I was disheartened by the reaction to the incident on this board and in Ireland, still no justification for having a cheap shot. Not sure why I got so riled up as Ive been dealing with the pommies claims of being the greatest team of all time for beating us at cricket, ......just.

Audas, there have been some over the top comments on both sides. But as I have said about before on this thread this is part of why we all love sport...it gets the blood boiling like nothing else. I think that most people on the thread would take back many of the comments passed. I wouldn't worry too much as I know where you are coming from, but I will say you are a bigger person than most for admitting to some cheap shots. I don't know much about cricket but we had wall to wall tabloid press/ Sky News during the ashes so I know what yer up against, especially now after the result in Twickenham last saturday. If you need some relief you should tip to Dublin this weekend...you'll see the Aussie RU team break their losing streak (probably) and have a buzzing weekend to boot.

updaharps said:
Audas, there have been some over the top comments on both sides. But as I have said about before on this thread this is part of why we all love sport...it gets the blood boiling like nothing else. I think that most people on the thread would take back many of the comments passed. I wouldn't worry too much as I know where you are coming from, but I will say you are a bigger person than most for admitting to some cheap shots. I don't know much about cricket but we had wall to wall tabloid press/ Sky News during the ashes so I know what yer up against, especially now after the result in Twickenham last saturday. If you need some relief you should tip to Dublin this weekend...you'll see the Aussie RU team break their losing streak (probably) and have a buzzing weekend to boot.
I don't think so. Australian rugby has sunk to a 25 year low. The forward pack is a cardboard cut out. The backs are a shambles and we are in the position South African rugby was in 2 to 3 years ago. More humiliation is on the cards.

clashoftheash said:
clare.jpg

Ice Hockey players wouldn't last 5 minutes.
Clash could you stop the Hurling Nazi arrogance FFS!

I've seen plenty of pics with hurling players wearing helmets to protect themselves. Here's a few Ice Hockey pics to maybe help you get some perspective on the relative toughness of hurling (which is an excellent game, I'm just fed up with your chauvinism about it).

Have you ever considered that these guys are not playing on grass but on slippery hard ice with hard barriers all round which they crash into? If hurling was played in such circumstances what chance do you think there'd be of the players coming out unprotected?

fp6kb7.jpg
fp6kj6.jpg

In Aussie Rules, Clash, when a player tries to do this...

fp6qgo.jpg

...this can happen...

fp6r0w.jpg

This also can happen in our game unfortunately...

fp6u7s.jpg

So ease up on the propaganda about hurling - the sport for the real tough guys!

clashoftheash said:
Why ? You didn't call for the arrogance against us to be stopped once.

How about dealing with the point I made?

I've seen plenty of pics with hurling players wearing helmets to protect themselves. Here's a few Ice Hockey pics to maybe help you get some perspective on the relative toughness of hurling (which is an excellent game, I'm just fed up with your chauvinism about it).

Have you ever considered that these guys are not playing on grass but on slippery hard ice with hard barriers all round which they crash into? If hurling was played in such circumstances what chance do you think there'd be of the players coming out unprotected?

fp6kb7.jpg
fp6kj6.jpg

Eh Toots can you please stop posting such hardcore pictures. They are hardcore graphic and as an athlete I like to stear clear of images that suggest such things could happen while playing. We all know that in general breaking a hurly of one's head is not that tough, much worse can happen.

lazy said:
I pray that they will pull out so we can end this boring circus show. Lets go back to our "insular" game. :D

Scrap the series, says former coach
31 October 2005 Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

FORMER Irish coach Eugene McGee has called for the International Rules Series to be scrapped, accusing Australia of conspiring to turn Friday night's Test into a smash-up derby.

"If Australia's players want to indulge in a thuggery alien to any sport, let them do so in their own insular game," McGee said.

"The GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) can not allow its elite players to be involved in a demeaning exercise like this and must issue an ultimatum -- either steps taken to eliminate this behaviour for once and for all or there will be no more games.

"On the evidence of what appeared to me to be a cleverly premeditated plan by the Australians to smash up the Irish team, I believe the GAA has little option but to cancel next year's proposed series."

McGee, a columnist in the Irish Independent, is among several Gaelic figures fuming over Friday night's spiteful Test.

Former coach Brian McEniff slammed red-carded Chris Johnson, claiming: "If you were doing that on civvy street you would be done for grievous bodily harm."

McEniff, coach against Australia in 2000-01, described the Australians' behaviour as "over-the-top, cynical and intimidatory".GAA director general Liam Mulvihill said much "soul searching" would be needed to keep the series alive.

"All I could see clearly on the TV coverage were dangerous tackles and late tackles with no attempt to pull out of a tackle," Mulvihill said.

The comments came as Johnson awaits a review of high hits on Philip Jordan and Mattie Forde in the win at Telstra Dome.

Johnson's fate won't be known before the end of the week. It will be heard by a panel of three -- two from the AFL and one from the GAA. Suspensions are served at international rules level -- not in the AFL.

Despite McGee's plea, the concept will go ahead in Ireland next year.

"The problem with the compromise rules-type of football is that the same levels of discipline and control which apply in both Gaelic football and Aussie rules are not applied," McGee said.

"It is this flaw which gives certain players what they see as a licence to kill and at least five Australian players made use of that licence.

"The result was a travesty of what sport is all about. It shamed the representatives of one of the greatest sporting nations on earth."

Wasn't eugene McGee a lawyer involved in a hit and run case a few months back??? does anyone remeber the kupunda road royal commision???

That hurling photo has been edited, my mate could make that in about 20 minutes using his computer. dont cling to that as the holy grail in your argument.

Toots Hibbert said:
How about dealing with the point I made?

Helmets are optional in Hurling, used to be optional in Ice Hockey. Now they're compulsary.

Slippery hard ice ? hard barriers ? I know its tough but they are padded to the last in Ice Hockey. They've helmets and any amount of protective gear on.

The gear protects them, in hurling its your responsibility to protect yourself.

Thats the difference and thats what makes it more dangerous.

So ease up on the propaganda about hurling - the sport for the real tough guys!

I didn't say anything about AFL did i ? But since you bring it up, those pictures are most disturbing and i wouldn't like to see that happen to anyone. But the point and fact remains that a stick is going to do umptimes more damage than a foot, leg or fist any day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about this, Australia has just qualified for the World Cup of soccer by beating Uruguay. We beat a country about 40 places higher in the rankings and although the score was 1 all at the end of the two games of the tie we played them off the park in the second game just didn't put the ball in the back of the net. Then won the penalty shoot out.

We're finally going to the big dance. Another frontier is being conquered by Australian sport.

Gaelic football, pffft if we put our minds to it....no problemo amigo! :p :p

clashoftheash said:
Helmets are optional in Hurling, used to be optional in Ice Hockey. Now they're compulsary.

Slippery hard ice ? hard barriers ? I know its tough but they are padded to the last in Ice Hockey. They've helmets and any amount of protective gear on.

The gear protects them, in hurling its your responsibility to protect yourself.

Thats the difference and thats what makes it more dangerous.
If there was a hybrid hurling hockey match those guys would tear you apart and send you crying for your mothers. They'd rip your legs off and hit you with the soggy end! :cool:

Toots Hibbert said:
How about this, Australia has just qualified for the World Cup of soccer by beating Uruguay. We beat a country about 40 places higher in the rankings and although the score was 1 all at the end of the two games of the tie we played them off the park in the second game just didn't put the ball in the back of the net. Then won the penalty shoot out.

We're finally going to the big dance. Another frontier is being conquered by Australian sport.

Gaelic football, pffft if we put our minds to it....no problemo amigo! :p :p

Congratulations. You beat someone else at a game i nor you cared about until ye won. :thumbsu:

Seriously though congratulations, better then our crowd of no hopers. Ye'll most likely end ye're losing streak in rugby too. Our gang are on a serious downhill.

Toots Hibbert said:
If there was a hybrid hurling hockey match those guys would tear you apart and send you crying for your mothers. They'd rip your legs off and hit you with the soggy end! :cool:

They'd leave the pitch crying at half time.

clashoftheash said:
Congratulations. You beat someone else at a game i nor you cared about until ye won. :thumbsu:

Seriously though congratulations, better then our crowd of no hopers. Ye'll most likely end ye're losing streak in rugby too. Our gang are on a serious downhill.
How would you know whether I cared about it or not? I like a lot of sports including soccer. I coached my son's school team for two years and should be able to coach them again next year.

Yeeeeehaaaaaa!!!!

Toots Hibbert said:
How would you know whether I cared about it or not? I like a lot of sports including soccer. I coached my son's school team for two years and should be able to coach them again next year.

Yeeeeehaaaaaa!!!!

Perhaps you missed something in my post the first time you read it. I thought it was obvious but:

<sarcasm>Congratulations. You beat someone else at a game i nor you cared about until ye won.</sarcasm>

Remove this Banner Ad

Irish crying continues with calls to scrap the series

Remove this Banner Ad

Back