Irish crying continues with calls to scrap the series

Remove this Banner Ad

medusala said:
Who is going to the World Cup?

Who cares? Worst thing that could have happened to the AFL. Alot of attention will be diverted elsewhere at the height of the Rules season when that carnival of kissing and cuddling starts.

clashoftheash said:
They'd leave the pitch crying at half time.

Even your IR team managed to stay on for the whole game, I think your hurlers would too although I'm sure they would curl into balls on the ground if a fight broke out.

BTW some of the Irish beers are OK but here are four countries that produce better beers than Ireland:-

Belgium
Germany
Australia
Czech Republic

The Belgians make the best beer with Chimay, a Trappist beer, being possibly the best beer in the world.

The Germans are right up there for the overall quality of their beers

Australia produces a few poor beers but our best is better than anything the Irish produce....
fp5a54.jpg
fp5aba.jpg

Finally the Czech Pilsner style lager is one of the great beer styles of the world.

Hoop said:
Surely you jest? I hope you are :confused: It's a bit more complex than IR.
How is it "more complex"?

The scoring is simpler for starters.

You add some Gaelic Rules and take out some of the Aussie rules. That doesn't make it more complex. Somewhat different yes but not vastly so. The fact that we can play a hybrid game shows the strong relationship between the two codes. The Aussies would have to practice the Gaelic style of tackling and work on soloing. The rest is pretty much taken care of now. We have goal keeping covered. There's enough players with the skill to take the kickouts and the 45's. The pickup is not much of an issue. A few weeks practice will see all our players doing it well especially given the less physical pressure they'll be under compared to Aussie Rules.

Tackling and soloing are the big issues. Soloing will be learnt well enough to cope and the Aussies will rely less on it than the Irish by extensive use of running in numbers and handball as they did in the IR series. The tackle is the big issue but the Aussies would get numbers behind the ball and win enough of it to mount their share of attacks. Once we have the ball they will thrive in an environment where the intense tackling pressure they are used to in Aussie Rules will not be applied to them. Our guys are at least as fast and manouverable as your guys with the added benefit of greater size, strength and fitness. We have a greater talent base to choose from and have the advantage of a professional league which makes our guys better athletes through increased levels of fitness and strength. A dedicated effort by the Aussies with several months of training and practice matches before taking you on will do the trick. Bring it on!

If you want to follow the discussion here's the thread. It was basically Clash and myself most of the time arguing the pros and cons.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208085&page=1&pp=15

Let_it_long said:
Who cares? Worst thing that could have happened to the AFL. Alot of attention will be diverted elsewhere at the height of the Rules season when that carnival of kissing and cuddling starts.
Yeah, and I'm sure when the thousands upon thousands of screaming fans (and bandwagons) were cheering on Australia last night the first thing on there mind was "oh no, this might affect the AFL". I can't believe you're that paranoid about a sporting tournment that happens once every 4 years having an effect on the AFL.

Toots Hibbert said:
BTW some of the Irish beers are OK but here are four countries that produce better beers than Ireland:-

Belgium
Germany
Australia
Czech Republic

The Belgians make the best beer with Chimay, a Trappist beer being possibly the best beer in the world.

The Germans are right up there for the overall quality of their beers

Australia produces a few poor beers but our best is better than anything the Irish produce....

Finally the Czech Pilsner style lager is one of the great beer styles of the world.

........ :confused:

We make Stout and spirits. We were never renowned for our beers, i've never had an Irish "beer".

Bleed Red Cheer said:
Even your IR team managed to stay on for the whole game, I think your hurlers would too although I'm sure they would curl into balls on the ground if a fight broke out.

Just remember it wasn't that long ago it was your media calling us thugs and too rough.

Toots Hibbert said:
How is it "more complex"?

The scoring is simpler for starters.

You add some Gaelic Rules and take out some of the Aussie rules. That doesn't make it more complex. Somewhat different yes but not vastly so. The fact that we can play a hybrid game shows the strong relationship between the two codes. The Aussies would have to practice the Gaelic style of tackling and work on soloing. The rest is pretty much taken care of now. We have goal keeping covered. There's enough players with the skill to take the kickouts and the 45's. The pickup is not much of an issue. A few weeks practice will see all our players doing it well especially given the less physical pressure they'll be under compared to Aussie Rules.

And since we both have an even number of wins in the IR, its equally possible we could beat ye at AFL.

clashoftheash said:
And since we both have an even number of wins in the IR, its equally possible we could beat ye at AFL.
Well that's a different discussion but one we could have if you like. What you need to realise is that until this year we have picked an all Australian AFL side which is not suited to the IR game. This year for the first time we've picked a side suited to the hybrid game. You might win the odd game from here on in but get ready for the Aussies to dominate if they keep picking the sort of side they did this year. The party's over Ireland! :D

clashoftheash said:
I wouldn't group the two togeather. Stouts are very different from "beer" like lager etc.

And theres nothing on Gods green earth better then a pint of Guinness.
Say's you!! I've drunk Guinness and it's OK. I'll bet you haven't drunk Cooper's Extra Strong Vintage Ale or James Squire Porter from the Malt Shovel Brewery.

fp5a54.jpg
fp5aba.jpg

clashoftheash said:
I wouldn't group the two togeather. Stouts are very different from "beer" like lager etc.
Wrong again Clash! :p

stout - a black or dark brown beer originating from Ireland. This is brewed with soft water like a lager, but with top fermenting yeast like an ale. Its colour comes from the highly roast barley, which also imparts its characteristic bitterness (http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/glossary.html)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

clashoftheash said:
Well, I'd prefer to drink twenty litres of dog p**s than that muck, but I suppose Guinness is what people refer to as an "acquired taste".

Tezmyster said:
Yeah, and I'm sure when the thousands upon thousands of screaming fans (and bandwagons) were cheering on Australia last night the first thing on there mind was "oh no, this might affect the AFL". I can't believe you're that paranoid about a sporting tournment that happens once every 4 years having an effect on the AFL.

Your seriously mistaken if you think it won't have the long term effect of enhancing that ballbag of a game in Australia. Kids are influenced by the colour and atmosphere around a sport rather than the sport itself. Next year when theres parties on the streets after games and the whole of Australia is going nuts, thats what kids will see and aspire to. AFL will lose young kids to soccer as a result and you can bury your head in the sand and say it won't happen because it will. Paranoid? no cos it'll have no direct affect on the game I love which is Gaelic football but wouldn't like to see Rules suffer as it is a far superior game to soccer.

Toots Hibbert said:
Well that's a different discussion but one we could have if you like. What you need to realise is that until this year we have picked an all Australian AFL side which is not suited to the IR game. This year for the first time we've picked a side suited to the hybrid game. You might win the odd game from here on in but get ready for the Aussies to dominate if they keep picking the sort of side they did this year. The party's over Ireland! :D

Toots you seem to be one of the most decent people here, at least the ones with an interest in the IR but why do you continue with this ?

The same crap was being said in Ireland after last years victory, i didn't believe them. Now your saying it in australia after this years victory and i don't believe you.

Butfor arguments sake:

Your not going to dominate the IR, hence your not going to beat us at Gaelic Football.

This year you picked a side suitable to the IR game, whats to say we don't pick a side suitable to the Australians tactics next year ? Because thats the wa the IR has being now for years.

We both picked hard, tough men in the 80's and it ended in brawls and cries of thuggery from both sides. Then we started picking faster, lighter players and eventually an almost full team consiting of small, fast, light players and we hammered ye in '04. Ye countered that in '05. We will counter ye in '06.

Toots Hibbert said:
Wrong again Clash! :p

stout - a black or dark brown beer originating from Ireland. This is brewed with soft water like a lager, but with top fermenting yeast like an ale. Its colour comes from the highly roast barley, which also imparts its characteristic bitterness (http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/glossary.html)

hhmmmm when i think of beer, i think of lager. Fair enough though.

You'll just have to accept that I hold these views then. I believe them to be soundly based and have marshalled arguments to support my position. You're entitled to your views mistaken though they are.

I consider you to be a sincere person but a little carried away about the wonders of hurling and prone to make the odd silly statement out of loyalty to your beloved Ireland and all things Irish. There you go. There are certainly worse things in this world. :)

I'm considering a thread on how we could eventually beat you in hurling. You see with our natural advantages in population and professionalism I think it's possible we could take you on. Many of our footballers play golf and it's more difficult to hit a small ball with only the small surface area of a golf club than it would be to hit the ball with the hurling stick thingy.

:D :D

Toots Hibbert said:
You'll just have to accept that I hold these views then. I believe them to be soundly based and have marshalled arguments to support my position. You're entitled to your views mistaken though they are.

I consider you to be a sincere person but a little carried away about the wonders of hurling and prone to make the odd silly statement out of loyalty to your beloved Ireland and all things Irish. There you go. There are certainly worse things in this world. :)

I'm considering a thread on how we could eventually beat you in hurling. You see with our natural advantages in population and professionalism I think it's possible we could take you on. Many of our footballers play golf and it's more difficult to hit a small ball with only the small surface area of a golf club than it would be to hit the ball with the hurling stick thingy.

:thumbsdown:

All jokes aside Clash, if you like beer and you haven't tried this do yourself a favour and give it a go. It's sensational.

chimay_blue350.JPG

It's a holy thing!

Let_it_long said:
Your seriously mistaken if you think it won't have the long term effect of enhancing that ballbag of a game in Australia. Kids are influenced by the colour and atmosphere around a sport rather than the sport itself. Next year when theres parties on the streets after games and the whole of Australia is going nuts, thats what kids will see and aspire to. AFL will lose young kids to soccer as a result and you can bury your head in the sand and say it won't happen because it will. Paranoid? no cos it'll have no direct affect on the game I love which is Gaelic football but wouldn't like to see Rules suffer as it is a far superior game to soccer.
If it impacts the AFL in any way I can only see it being good for the game, maybe then the AFL would be a bit more proactive in sorting itself and turning it into a truely national game. Moving (at least) a few teams out of Melbourne into places like Hobart, Darwin, Canberra, etc and encouraging growth instead of grappling at it's traditional VFL roots.

And as with you AFL isn't the old sport I follow, in fact it probably rates a second as far as I am concerned to Ice Hockey, and all the leagues under it.

Tezmyster said:
If it impacts the AFL in any way I can only see it being good for the game, maybe then the AFL would be a bit more proactive in sorting itself and turning it into a truely national game. Moving (at least) a few teams out of Melbourne into places like Hobart, Darwin, Canberra, etc and encouraging growth instead of grappling at it's traditional VFL roots.

And as with you AFL isn't the old sport I follow, in fact it probably rates a second as far as I am concerned to Ice Hockey, and all the leagues under it.

I'll agree on that point but the AFL have not really shown a willingness in this area before so they better get the finger out lively or they won't be able to stem the tide. I could never see the point of having only one team in Sydney and none in Canberra. If you give people options they'll take them. If you ignore them, they'll ignore you back. Rules should have the domanence in Oz that the GAA has over here. We're taking alot of points from your game, I think the AFL should take some out of ours as regards administration.

Remove this Banner Ad

Irish crying continues with calls to scrap the series

Remove this Banner Ad

Back