Is it on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Forget a decade of dominance or venting, this is the purely pragmatic thread (Tell my wife I said, hello): With the way results have fallen this weekend the pathway to even top 2 is open. If we beat the Dogs it's time to purchase flights because there is a good chance it's on for real.

There's a clear opportunity there to be grabbed.

The pragmatic side of me says we're young and vulnerable to inconsistency and key injuries.

However we've clearly been more consistent this year so far which is a good sign, and there's always a club or two who gets a great run with injuries so why not us?
I think we're missing a weapon or two to challenge to the last weekend in September, but I hope they give it a red hot crack.

There's a clear opportunity there to be grabbed.

The pragmatic side of me says we're young and vulnerable to inconsistency and key injuries.

However we've clearly been more consistent this year so far which is a good sign, and there's always a club or two who gets a great run with injuries so why not us?
I think we're missing a weapon or two to challenge to the last weekend in September, but I hope they give it a red hot crack.
What got me thinking this was this:
1717939079973.png
Squiggle coming out of the weekend has us top two in its 'power ranking'. The teams below us on it will mostly be lucky to make the finals so our main competition on the real ladder is three teams that can't defend and unfortunately Sydney.

Geez I think we’ve improved as the year has gone on..but let’s just secure a finals birth and go from there.
We are disadvantaged in WA with the “let’s wait and see” due to having a greater need to plan airfares etc before they become unavailable or there’s a ridiculous increase in price. You get to a point where you have to roll the dice.

So many times it has perhaps been on. And the opportunities have been left to wither.
So, probably not, but… we live in hope! Yokayi!! (Credit to oldgoat)

What got me thinking this was this:
View attachment 2015592
Squiggle coming out of the weekend has us top two in its 'power ranking'. The teams below us on it will mostly be lucky to make the finals so our main competition on the real ladder is three teams that can't defend and unfortunately Sydney.
The one that throws me is Brisbane

Forget a decade of dominance or venting, this is the purely pragmatic thread (Tell my wife I said, hello): With the way results have fallen this weekend the pathway to even top 2 is open. If we beat the Dogs it's time to purchase flights because there is a good chance it's on for real.
I got sucked into this in 2022

Took me weeks to offload all the GF packages tickets ( big thanks to all the BF people who purchased them )

Luckily the flights we’re credited

Using them in round 21 actually to go watch the Essendon game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got sucked into this in 2022

Took me weeks to offload all the GF packages tickets ( big thanks to all the BF people who purchased them )

Luckily the flights we’re credited

Using them in round 21 actually to go watch the Essendon game
we didn't look as good as this in 2022;)

Not enough sample size for me to trust. I have NFI if it's on or not.

Yep, I don’t expect another game where we kick 22 goals but I’m hoping for another game of four quarter footy.

If that happens this week I’ll start to believe we’re going somewhere

Yep, I don’t expect another game where we kick 22 goals but I’m hoping for another game of four quarter footy.

If that happens this week I’ll start to believe we’re going somewhere
I need to see us beat both Dogs and Suns by 3+ goals each for me to believe. The Dogs only because they are beat up atm not because I think we're a 3+ goal better side than them at Marvel.

We'll know in 3 games. If it is, our midfield/clearance dominance and improved turnover game will account for both the Dogs and Gold Coast (big test as both have excellent midfield/clearance brigades) with relative ease. I actually think we're a better shot at the SCG than we are at Optus against the Swans. We really weren't far off last time, and who knows what scoreboard pressure can do? We get 6 up on them like the Cats and I fancy our defense to hold out a bit better, but geez they're one of the strongest outfits I've seen and lightning quick. We win that one and it's on like Donkey Kong.

Personally I reckon we're getting the bye blues and a tight win against GC. Still feel like we're a smokey at the SCG for some reason. Need a ton to go right for this to be the year, but we're trending the right way for sure.

Don’t even whisper that in a forest. Be the tree.

Remaining games:

Dogs away
Suns home
Sydney away
Tigers home
Hawks away (Tas)
Melbourne home
Eagles home
Essendon away
Geelong home
GWS away
Port home

Currently 7-1-4 = 30 points @ 121.4%
Currently at 2.5 Premiership points per game 7.5/12 wins

Last three years a side finishing top four has needed at least:
2023 - 2.782 Premiership points per game, 16/23 wins
2022 - 2.909 Premiership points per game, 16/22 wins
2021 - 2.72 Premiership points per game, 15/22 wins

Last three years a side finishing top six has needed at least:
2023 - 2.26 Premiership points per game, 13/23 wins
2022 - 2.72 Premiership points per game, 15/22 wins
2021 - 2.72 Premiership points per game, 15/22 wins

We need to win 7-8/11 for top four in my opinion. So which four/five games can we lose?

GWS, Hawks, Swans (+1/2 more and still make top four)?

Last edited:
we didn't look as good as this in 2022;)

After round 12 in 2022 we were a game clear in 3rd spot with 9 wins, 3 losses and a percentage of 130% and we had beaten the two teams above us and the one immediately below us, including Geelong at HBMA and Melbourne at the G

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Sturt, Freddy, Switta and Walters have a big second half of the season then it is definitely on. Key forwards are looking good, best ruck duo in the league, multiple elite midfielders, wing issue fixed by Sharp and backline that's rock solid. Small forwards are the only noticeable weakness and if they can step up...

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back