Play Nice Is it time to replace Woodside as sponsor?

Is it time to replace Woodside as sponsor?

• Yes

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 130 81.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on a sec, we're going to ditch Woodside yet still get on a plane and travel interstate?

If you're going to oppose oil and gas then you sure as s**t better not use oil and gas. We'd have to ditch all car sponsors too.
Whoa there buddy. Common sense and stating the bleedin' obvious can get you into a lot of trouble these days...

At least the average punter is likely to use one of these for personal use though i.e. most of us have cars/will buy at least one car in our lifetime and need insurance, rather than a mining company - which was kind of my point
WA has more connection to people in WA then them. There's is a reason why people defend mining companies it's because the average Joe blow can get big bucks jobs from them because they don't skimp out on employee wages.

Your supporter base is probs filled with oil and gas members and mining members. Put it to a public vote and see

WA has more connection to people in WA then them. There's is a reason why people defend mining companies it's because the average Joe blow can get big bucks jobs from them because they don't skimp out on employee wages

I think you've gone off the deep end there, mate - it's only Wednesday arvo ;).

Whether what you said above is true or not, all I was getting at was that in our comp, fans are much more likely to be reached by products that they would actually consume on the daily and make decisions about daily.

I don't live in Perth.

But I personally had no idea what Woodside was as a company. Or what they were associated with.

I didn't really care it was just a sponsor on the jumper.

At the end of the day sporting teams are reliant on sponsors no matter where there from. Unless these people are prepared to dip into their own pockets. Then reality is the club has to do what it takes to get $$$ into the club and keep it sustainable.

Look around the world every sporting team has some sponsorship that has some dodgyness behind them.

Of everyone refuses Woodside sponsorship- all it does is increase profits for Woodside. At least with the current arrangements there are groups gaining significant benefits that wouldn't exist without a Oil and Gas sponsorship.

IMO gambling and alcohol sponsorships are far worse.

I don't live in Perth.

But I personally had no idea what Woodside was as a company. Or what they were associated with.

I didn't really care it was just a sponsor on the jumper.

At the end of the day sporting teams are reliant on sponsors no matter where there from. Unless these people are prepared to dip into their own pockets. Then reality is the club has to do what it takes to get $$$ into the club and keep it sustainable.

Look around the world every sporting team has some sponsorship that has some dodgyness behind them.
Same here. Still not sure what either Woodside and Programmed actually do and don't really care either.

If these nuffies want Woodside gone so bad then find some other company to pony up the cash to be our sponsor, simple.

What a joke! Nobody seems to care about Sportsbet, KFC,McDonalds and Hungry Jacks! I hate the way a few of us feel like they are the voice for all of us.
What about "Optus Stadium" after the recent hacking drama.

I havent heard anyone forcing a sponsor name change there.

Optus haven't covered themselves in glory since the incident.

The entire sports world is close to getting the same treatment. British cycling have been mauled for having Shell as their major sponsor.
I can just see all the petrol heads, rev heads beginning to fear now. How soon before F!, Bathurst, Moro GP, and others begin to get targeted.
In regards to the Dockers. it will make a huge gap if the club can not come up with a major sponsor quickly, and one that suits.
If, as Snuff has said, it is $2 mill a year, it will have to be as big as that to fit.
If the club can not find that then membership prices will rise, entry to games will rise.
Like so many, I will find it hard if prices for membership rises much more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The entire sports world is close to getting the same treatment. British cycling have been mauled for having Shell as their major sponsor.
I can just see all the petrol heads, rev heads beginning to fear now. How soon before F!, Bathurst, Moro GP, and others begin to get targeted.
In regards to the Dockers. it will make a huge gap if the club can not come up with a major sponsor quickly, and one that suits.
If, as Snuff has said, it is $2 mill a year, it will have to be as big as that to fit.
If the club can not find that then membership prices will rise, entry to games will rise.
Like so many, I will find it hard if prices for membership rises much more.
One of our great honourable and moral sportsman in history of Australian sport in Adam Gilchrist had a personal sponsorship with Castrol for years.

He still may be getting endorsements from them.

No one gave 2 hoots about that.

One of our great honourable and moral sportsman in history of Australian sport in Adam Gilchrist had a personal sponsorship with Castrol for years.

He still may be getting endorsements from them.

No one gave 2 hoots about that.
That is going back a long time ago. Before the world became more aware of the damage being done to the environment.
Also I wonder how much sponsorship we get from the betting companies.

We could easily replace the Woodside sponsorship value, however it would have to be with a company probably not acceptable to the less practical and more activist end of the climate change advocacy spectrum.
E.G. I would be perfectly happy to accept most mining companies* money, even if I'm not comfortable with Oil and Gas money.
The pragmatic thing to do is let the Woodside deal die a natural death rather than be seen to be 'giving in' to supply side activists. FFI would be an IDEAL replacement if the rumour in this thread is true.

*Draw the line at Hancock Prospecting or any Canadian mining company (if you just assume any Canadian mining company is run by Bond villians who laugh maniacally as they have African squatter miners bulldozed into their own pits you're going to be not that wrong.)

To me footy is the ultimate source of escapism from an increasingly nutso world and wasn't meant to be just another launderer of political agendas, which are obnoxiously ubiquitous at this point. I just want to unplug from it all and focus on a bunch of blokes smashing into each other and kicking a leather ball around for 3 hours a week 🤷‍♂️

Big NO from me.

No
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Season 6 No GIF by Friends

No Way Bird GIF

No Way GIF

Magic No GIF by Morphin
No Way Bounce GIF

Kung Fu Reaction GIF

Hang on a sec, we're going to ditch Woodside yet still get on a plane and travel interstate?

If you're going to oppose oil and gas then you sure as s**t better not use oil and gas. We'd have to ditch all car sponsors too.
While sitting in your concrete and steel buildings, on your plastic phone and eating your trucked in fresh steak.

Mmmmmhhmmmmmm.

This question is not going to go away. In fact, it's going to be asked more loudly, whether we like it or not.

The climate crisis is existential (let alone fricken expensive) and "approaching" a tipping point. Oil and gas companies are going to be more on the nose as time goes on. The heat, as it were, will only rise on the sponsorship.

Do it now or in 12 months' time, but Woodside won't be the sponsor in 2024.

It’s a bit hard to know what sort of corporate sponsor would be acceptable to the Green Left.

Car manufacturers are popular but their vehicles burn fossil fuels, banks and insurance companies exploit the underprivileged, airlines produce masses of CO2, mining companies destroy indigenous cultural artefacts.
The options become very limited!

With limited sponsorship there is less money for sport and people in the industry get paid less. Some sports may struggle to continue on a professional basis. Maybe the AFL struggles to support as many teams or, for example, the AFLW.

Back