Is Nick Daicos The Best First Year Player Of All Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

All this talk about Daicos being "generational" is quite funny as Judd, O'Meara, Walsh and Greene are at least in the ballpark. Suggesting that we'd only have to wait 4-5 years on average to get another first year player as good as Daicos was this year.
Toby’s 1st season in that young side is under appreciated

All this talk about Daicos being "generational" is quite funny as Judd, O'Meara, Walsh and Greene are at least in the ballpark. Suggesting that we'd only have to wait 4-5 years on average to get another first year player as good as Daicos was this year.
If the predictions about Ashcroft are accurate, we'll only have to wait 12 months.

Just reading up on Scott Pendlebury, who is easily my favourite Collingwood player of all time. Got glandular fever in his first year and missed the first ten rounds (2006) and fell seven votes short of Joel Selwood for the Rising Star in Selwood's first year (2007).

The first year glandular fever throws out all comparisons to Nick Daicos but if Daics has a subsequent career that even approaches that of Scott Pendlebury Collingwood has a real player on their hands.
If he approaches Pendles then he probably goes past his old man. Doubt he goes past either but that it even appears possible after year 1 is the dream coming true. Its going to be one of the good careers to watch. That he should become a very good goal kicking mid is enough for now. I am just looking forward to the goals he is going to kick.

One great young one who should always be in this argument is John Greening. 15 games as a 17 yo in 68. Debuted in round 5 and played every game from then on for the season. Lazy 28 possessions in final game of the year.

1969 22 games, which was every game, av 16+ possies and kicked 34 goals mainly as a HFF.

Played every Collingwood game from his debut in round 5 1968 when he was 17 years and 4 months until his 98th game round 14 1972 when it was likely he was leading the Brownlow and Jim O'Dea put him into a coma.

In 1971 he had 50 possession game when about 290 possies were.the average in a game rather than 360. He was 20 yo and already a major opposition target. O'Dea wasnt the 1st to try and stop him. He wasnt a stat padder though. He was spectacular. Ran like a gazelle, took speccies and kicked goals to drool over. Think of Judd amplified and able to take hangers.

1972 except for O'Dea he would have gone past 100 consecutive g8ves from debut as a 17 old and maybe had a Brownlow around his neck. Could have been anything

Just comparing their first seasons. McGrath far better defensively but Daicos better in offence.

Will be interesting to see if the two have similar careers.
I don't see the arcs as being too similar. Daicos is a much better finder of the footy, as well as a better user of it when he gets it. Is also more agile and faster over 5-10m.

I've never rated McGrath though, so might just be being defensive

I'd be curious which Pies fan said this. I've seen the comps to Ablett, which IMO are off, but mainly because he doesn't have near Abletts speed. But his impact could absolutely end up in the same ballpark as he puts on bulk (almost definitely won't end up with Abletts strength and power, but Ablett started as a skinny kid who physically developed significantly over his career). He showed great goal scoring ability from midfield in juniors and when he played midfield in the AFL, could def see him as a 30 touches per game mid on high disposal efficiency who could also kick 30+ goals a year which would be Ablett like statistically.

Imo he is around the mark to Ablett jnr in speed. Nicks being under sold and ablett jnr oversold in this department.

Power comes from strength work in the gym. It can and will be built up.

He plays similar to ablett junior in terms of style and way the win the ball. Both run and recieve, both attacking, both excellent skills, both read the play extremely well. Imo abletts timing is what allowed him to use his pace and get space more so then a Judd or danger like explosion.

Whilst still very good Judd's 2nd and 3rd year are what people often remember and confuse with his first season.

Whilst still very good Judd's 2nd and 3rd year are what people often remember and confuse with his first season.
Maybe in terms of production, but Judd was doing things other first year players had never done like run through a pack of seasoned midfielders at top speed, somehow extracting the ball and slotting a goal.

I guess you could potentially say similar things about Daicos and some of his long range passes into the corridor.

Overall I’d have Daicos ahead in Year One, he’d then need to make some big leaps in his second and third years to get to Judd’s (third-year) level but it’s possible provided he moves into a more permanent midfield role and puts on some size to allow him to attend more stoppages.

Flag is a nice, but not sure you can tack it on given Selwood probably wasn't in the best 10 players that day.

Selwood also didn't finish in the Top 15 in the Carji Greeves that year - Daicos should finish in the Top 5 (at worst) in Collingwood's BnF this year.
In fairness Geelong had about 10 AAs that year. Daicos also wouldn't have got anywhere near the top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe in terms of production, but Judd was doing things other first year players had never done like run through a pack of seasoned midfielders at top speed, somehow extracting the ball and slotting a goal.

I guess you could potentially say similar things about Daicos and some of his long range passes into the corridor.

Overall I’d have Daicos ahead in Year One, he’d then need to make some big leaps in his second and third years to get to Judd’s (third-year) level but it’s possible provided he moves into a more permanent midfield role and puts on some size to allow him to attend more stoppages.
Judd's physicality was just stupid. Good size for a midfielder and as fast as anyone.

No doubt Daicos one of if not the best first year player ever.

However, Judd was a gun who got his possessions in the midfield and not floating off half back.

Don't think Daicos will have as big of a second as he will be tagged most games.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

And for the pies coaches to instruct the entire midfield to block and scrag his opponents and open a clear path for him.

Overall o agree re Judd's 3rd year it was amazing watching him in full flight.

Daicos is not the same stylistic player as Judd.

Didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm always going to compare Nick Daicos and JHF, so many couldn't split them in their draft year and on the weekend a lot of us now realize why.

Who would opposition fans take if they were given a choice today?

It shouldn't be hard to pick Nick, but that 3rd quarter from Jason has me thinking
Nick.
JHF is very damaging but Daicos is a footballing genius, his worst is maybe Luke Power level his best is Akermanis level.

Nick.
JHF is very damaging but Daicos is a footballing genius, his worst is maybe Luke Power level his best is Akermanis level.

I think Nick is the safe pick, he's going to have one of the most consistent careers we've ever seen, Jason might have a 10 minute patch that decides a flag, I think Jason's best will always be more damaging than Nicks. Can't wait to watch the next 10 years.

No, he's the best player of all time!

Already behind this NSW bloke:

Haydn Bunton Sr made his debut for Fitzroy in 1931 at the age of 19, and immediately made an impact on the then VFL, winning the Brownlow medal in his first two seasons in the competition, before adding a third in 1935.​

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Nick Daicos The Best First Year Player Of All Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back