Is Nick Reiwoldt a great player?

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont know how his body holds up. He's not the strongest looking bloke out there, but he might be the most reckless. Gets a lot of soft free kicks but thats not his fault. Out and out champion. Should win a brownlow one day. Will come pretty close this year.

Very good, not great.

Can't imagine that we will look back on his career and mention him in the same breath as the "Great" CHF's:

Bourke, Carey, Brereton.

Which I stress is the furtherest thing from criticism, BUT that's what seperates 'Great' from 'Good'

Still if he can lead the Saints to a premiership or two, and average 60+ goals a season in a post Gehrig lineup then that will increase his Hall of Fame chances.

Who is Bourke? I imagine you mean Royce Hart.

Gets a lot of soft free kicks but thats not his fault.

Avergaes 1.3 free kicks per game. He doesn't get many frees, let alone soft ones.

The debate is about whether he is good/great, so maybe other teams might push the boundaries to limit his effectiveness?

Maybe even an occasional tunnel or two ;)

With Riewoldt this year he injured one knee in the pre-season which hampered him.

Then he injured the other one in round 7 missinga game baut restricting him.

Early in the year he also hada shoulder injury restricting his marking.

The last half the year he tarted to get over them , though one knee is still "sore", but your are now seeing how he plays when he is less restricted.

I am confident that he will have a BIG finals series and will cause headaches for his opponents.

With Riewoldt this year he injured one knee in the pre-season which hampered him.

The last half the year he tarted to get over them , though one knee is still "sore", but your are now seeing how he plays when he is less restricted.

I am confident that he will have a BIG finals series and will cause headaches for his opponents.

Well if he doesn't we're ****ed (will go out in straight sets).:D

Nick is a "very influential" player. But let's get serious, his goal kicking is so diabolical he will not be a great player. Say what you want, and I think Buddy is in that category too.

If you can't trust a goal kicking forward in front of goals, then he can never be termed great. Buddy could maybe break that on the fact he consistently has so many shots at goal it doesn't matter. We'll see how he goes during finals in his career.

See,StKilda are a bunch or tarts.Even their own supporters know it.

;)

I dont know how his body holds up. He's not the strongest looking bloke out there, but he might be the most reckless. Gets a lot of soft free kicks but thats not his fault. Out and out champion. Should win a brownlow one day. Will come pretty close this year.

How the hell do people figure this?

Where does it come from?

1 Joel Selwood Geelong 2.7
2 Luke Ball St Kilda 2.7
3 Daniel Kerr West Coast 2.6
4 Angus Monfries Essendon 2.6
5 Joel Corey Geelong 2.1
6 Gary Jnr Ablett Geelong 2.1
7 Domenic Cassisi Port Adelaide 2.1
7 Chris Judd Carlton 2.1
9 Jake King Richmond 2.0
10 Daniel Cross Bulldogs 2.0
11 Dean Cox West Coast 1.9
12 Luke Hodge Hawthorn 1.9
13 Tom Lonergan Geelong 1.8
14 Mark Jamar Melbourne 1.8
15 James Bartel Geelong 1.8
16 Adam Selwood West Coast 1.7
17 Chance Bateman Hawthorn 1.7
18 James McDonald Melbourne 1.7
19 Simon Black Brisbane 21 1.7
19 Dean Brogan Port Adelaide 1.7
21 Rhys Palmer Fremantle 1.6
22 Brett Burton Adelaide 1.6
22 Travis Tuck Hawthorn 1.6
24 Jude Bolton Sydney 1.6
24 Michael Doughty Adelaide 1.6
26 Jed Adcock Brisbane 1.6
27 Darren Jolly Sydney 1.6
27 Brent Stanton Essendon 1.6
29 Brad Symes Adelaide 1.5
30 David Hale North Melb 1.5
31 Brett Kirk Sydney 1.5
31 Scott Thompson Adelaide 1.5
33 Nick Dal Santo St Kilda 2 1.5
34 Garrick Ibbotson Fremantle 1.5
35 Peter Bell Fremantle 4 1.5
48 Steve Johnson Geelong 1.4
36 Ryan Crowley Fremantle 1.4
36 Drew Petrie North Melb 1.4
38 Shane Valenti Melbourne 1.4
39 Sam Mitchell Hawthorn 1.4
39 Adam Bentick Carlton 1.4
39 Peter Everitt Sydney 1.4
39 Darren Pfeiffer Carlton 1.4
43 Brendan Fevola Carlton 1.4
44 Alwyn Davey Essendon 1.4
45 Andrew Carrazzo Carlton 1.4
45 Nick Gill Adelaide 1.4
47 Corey Jones North Melb 1.4
48 Marc Murphy Carlton 1.4
48 Aaron Sandilands Fremantle 1.4
48 Shane Tuck Richmond 1.4
48 Steven Armstrong West Coast 1.4
53 Daniel Pratt North Melb 1.4
53 Adam Simpson North Melb 1.4
67 Paul Chapman Geelong 1.3
55 Nathan Foley Richmond 1.3
55 Lenny Hayes St Kilda 1.3
55 Jeff White Melbourne 1.3
55 Matthew Whelan Melbourne 1.3
59 Adam Cooney Bulldogs 1.3
59 Simon Goodwin Adelaide 1.3
59 Martin Mattner Sydney 1.3
59 Nathan Van Berlo Adelaide 1.3
59 Steven King St Kilda 1.3
59 Darren Millburn Geelong 1.3
59 Matthew Pavlich Fremantle 1.3
66 Josh Fraser Collingwood 1.3
67 Nick Riewoldt St Kilda 1.3

If Riewoldt is on a wing, it means Gehrig is in the goalsquare.

I'm sure most opposition coaches would rather have Riewoldt in the F50m and no Gehrig ...

... and no-one providing the link between the back and forward halves of the ground.

I've seen Riewoldt beaten twice in his career:
- Once by Jarred Waite in early '07
- Once by Will Thursfield

To backup how well Thurfield played that day.... after Thursfield did his knee at the end of the 3rd quarter, Riewoldt took 6marks & 2-3goals in the last quarter to beat the Tigers

Riewoldt = Match Winner

2008 v Hawthorn - Match Winner

I saw Jonathan Brown kick 6 in a game & Bradshaw 4... I pretty sure that was against Carlton this yr.... The big Brown Dog certainly wasnt the match winner there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great players play well in finals.

Nick was well held by Taylor, and this week really needs to stand up and have a big one.

He is a very very good player.

He could become "great"......but not there yet after yesterday. Still some work to do.:thumbsu:

Some of you really need to get a clue - Reiwoldt is a superstar and dead set champion - wake up to yourselves.

Yep. agreed.

On the free kick arguement above. I think the stat is he has one of the best FF vs FA count of any Forward (maybe player) in the league. I think this is logical as he does a lot of his best work (from my limited viewing of him, please don't jump on me over this Saints fans) getting out in front of his opponent and out running them for the ball.

Great players play well in finals.

Nick was well held by Taylor, and this week really needs to stand up and have a big one.

He is a very very good player.

He could become "great"......but not there yet after yesterday. Still some work to do.:thumbsu:

oh! Here I was thinking Michael Voss was a great

2003 Preliminary Final 20th Sep - 8 Disposals
2003 Qualifying Final 6th Sep - 7 Disposals
2001 Qualifying Final 8th Sep - 14 Disposals, 1 goal

Sure, he's played some very good finals too but so has Reiwoldt

st nick is a very good player works hard that's what you want from your CHF
if he kicked more goals he would be more of a superstar he dose need support
from a better FF any way he was well beaten on the weekend and looked nervous on the weekend he will come out and have a big one this week

He is a great player, but in the last 3 seasons hasn't been a great kick for goal. It's a little strange because prior to that he was very accurate.

He's still kicked about 60 this year though, which isn't bad.

Terrific mark, great motor, good field kick, able to inspire his teammates, is becoming a very good captain.

A year or two ago I would have given him up for Pavlich (or if possible, Leigh Matthews) but from what I've seen this year I've changed my mind.

If he can fix up the goal kicking howlers, he could go to the elite level.

That's not to say in 3 years time I wouldn't knock back all offers from the Gold Coast :p

No. Great players stand up when it counts. Nick Riewoldt doesn't.

He was towelled up yesterday, but I would say he stood up over the last 2 months. It counted then

oh! Here I was thinking Michael Voss was a great

2003 Preliminary Final 20th Sep - 8 Disposals
2003 Qualifying Final 6th Sep - 7 Disposals
2001 Qualifying Final 8th Sep - 14 Disposals, 1 goal

Sure, he's played some very good finals too but so has Reiwoldt

No. Great players stand up when it counts. Nick Riewoldt doesn't.

and Voss did?

Before you respond, keep in mind that Riewoldt has played some very good finals games also.

Everyone has bad games, superstar or not.

What has Richo achieved? Doesn't stop him being "superstar and dead-set champion"

This just proves how loosely you throw this tag around.

Until the last couple of years Richo was the guy who had so much potential but couldn't quite elevate himself.

This year in particular he is having a great year.........over the course of his career.....he is not a "great" as such......just a very very good player.

As for Voss in finals...........just proves you are here to start an arguement rather than contirbute something sensible. Wake up to yourself.:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Nick Reiwoldt a great player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back